British Speedway Forum

Predictions for 2023

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Can make my predictions now as no matter who Birmingham sign I'll have them down for last place.

1st Plymouth
2nd - 6th Redcar, Glasgow, Scunthorpe, Poole & Edinburgh
7th Berwick
8th Oxford
9th Birmingham

I've lumped 2nd to 6th together as it makes no difference where the play-offs teams finish outside of 1st.

I can only assume putting Plymouth first is an attempt at reverse psychology. Their strong 1-5 (very strong if Gilkes picks up where he left off before his injury last year) may well be undone by weak reserves - think Glasgow 2004.
For me, it’s a year too early for Trigger, especially for the away meetings, and Turner’s route to a visa was via the weakest field for an Australian state championship since Cam Woodward (I think) had to go to Tasmania to secure his visa many years ago! 
Under Garry May’s guidance, they should certainly make top six but I’m not sure they’ll be first

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Interesting first choice. Their reserves stop me from putting them top (don't know what they are going to do!). Think I would go for Redcar. Be interesting if they can get some sort of home advantage going. 

Agree with that, Plymouth's reserves too inexperienced for top spot IMO but they look stone wall top five along with Poole, Glasgow, Scunny & Redcar. Oxford & Edinburgh to scrap it out for 6th with Berwick & Brum adrift. 

IMHO :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Interesting first choice. Their reserves stop me from putting them top (don't know what they are going to do!). Think I would go for Redcar. Be interesting if they can get some sort of home advantage going. 

I agree Plymouth look weaker at reserve (although Trigger may be ok at home). But expect plenty of bonus points due to big home wins. Plus their strong top end will stop big defeats away.

• Like 1

Slight change in my predictions, now putting Redcar top.

1st) Redcar - 3 good heat leaders. Bailey & Edwards could swap the 2 & 6 positions throughout the season with whoever is at reserve scoring well. Not got great home track advantage, but expect them to keep matches close away, so don't need big home wins anyway!

2-6) Plymouth - 3 good heat leaders & 2 good second strings, expecting big things from Gilkes. At reserve Turner a complete unknown for me & Trigger could be the weakest rider in the league. Home track advantage should help with bonus points.

2-6) Glasgow - look pretty decent in each position. Vissing could be a trump card! Think the reserves will up their averages too.

2-6) Scunthorpe - great number one. Then solid throughout, probably have the best reserve pair.

2-6) Poole - great top 2, then race with 4 second strings. So missing a 3rd heat leader, but should always have a decent reserve.

2-6) Edinburgh - fab top 2. Having better reserves than the 2 teams below them sees them into the play-offs.

7th) Oxford - probably have the best top 3 in the league. Then almost running with 4 reserves, too long a tail.

8th) Berwick - top 5 looks good, especially at home with Etheridge. Weak at reserve.

9th) Birmingham - the only team I see with no play-off chance. Great number one (will drop his average though) & Sedgmen rode very well last year, but there's plenty of stronger number 2's. Missing a 3rd heat leader & using up 8 points for their reserves who'll need to improve to even reach those averages.

Edited by szkocjasid

On 2/27/2023 at 12:48 AM, szkocjasid said:

Can make my predictions now as no matter who Birmingham sign I'll have them down for last place.

1st Plymouth
2nd - 6th Redcar, Glasgow, Scunthorpe, Poole & Edinburgh
7th Berwick
8th Oxford
9th Birmingham

I've lumped 2nd to 6th together as it makes no difference where the play-offs teams finish outside of 1st.

On 2/27/2023 at 8:09 AM, lisa-colette said:

22 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Slight change in my predictions, now putting Redcar top.

1st) Redcar - 3 good heat leaders. Bailey & Edwards could swap the 2 & 6 positions throughout the season with whoever is at reserve scoring well. Not got great home track advantage, but expect them to keep matches close away, so don't need big home wins anyway!

2-6) Plymouth - 3 good heat leaders & 2 good second strings, expecting big things from Gilkes. At reserve Turner a complete unknown for me & Trigger could be the weakest rider in the league. Home track advantage should help with bonus points.

2-6) Glasgow - look pretty decent in each position. Vissing could be a trump card! Think the reserves will up their averages too.

2-6) Scunthorpe - great number one. Then solid throughout, probably have the best reserve pair.

2-6) Poole - great top 2, then race with 4 second strings. So missing a 3rd heat leader, but should always have a decent reserve.

2-6) Edinburgh - fab top 2. Having better reserves than the 2 teams below them sees them into the play-offs.

7th) Oxford - probably have the best top 3 in the league. Then almost running with 4 reserves, too long a tail.

8th) Berwick - top 5 looks good, especially at home with Etheridge. Weak at reserve.

9th) Birmingham - the only team I see with no play-off chance. Great number one (will drop his average though) & Sedgmen rode very well last year, but there's plenty of stronger number 2's. Missing a 3rd heat leader & using up 8 points for their reserves who'll need to improve to even reach those averages.

Hmm, what happened to Plymouth. Did i actually convince someone to change their prediction! ;)

And why can i not multipost things from different pages, so annoying!

Edited by lisa-colette

4 hours ago, eric i said:

Some might be revaluating Birmingham's side now Proctor has signed at reserve. I know hes had a lot of injuries in the past but he could easy put a point or 2 on his average riding at reserve.

I am now thinking Berwick could avoid the wooden spoon, I probably still rate them bottom, but much closer to Oxford & Berwick than I first thought!

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Hmm, what happened to Plymouth. Did i actually convince someone to change their prediction! ;)

And why can i not multipost things from different pages, so annoying!

My predictions were based on riders averages (where they will finish up) I have no knowledge of Turner so left him at 4.00, after I read enough comments decided to drop that to 3.00!

Anyway that's what should happen in a forum, if someone puts up a good counter point, forum users can re-think their opinions lol!

It can be done, (quoting posts from different pages)!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

My predictions were based on riders averages (where they will finish up) I have no knowledge of Turner so left him at 4.00, after I read enough comments decided to drop that to 3.00!

Anyway that's what should happen in a forum, if someone puts up a good counter point, forum users can re-think their opinions lol!

It can be done, (quoting posts from different pages)!

:D

It won't let me do it. It just clears the box if I try and quote posts from different pages lol.

6 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

:D

It won't let me do it. It just clears the box if I try and quote posts from different pages lol.

Don't you just push/click the + 'button' by the quotes you want on any page? 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Ah okay. I just click on 'quote'. 

The + next to 'quote' on each you want( a tick comes up), then a small box with the number of quotes in it comes up to click.

Edited by gazzac
  • Thanks 1

1. REDCAR (Shanes was the only weak link, He's gone now so Redcar now moves up into first position in my rankings)

2. POOLE (Whoever replaces Thomas will be decent enough, Another strong campaign in store)

3. GLASGOW (Strong side but they're a tiny bit behind Redcar and Poole imo)

4. SCUNTHORPE (Strong from top to bottom) 

5. PLYMOUTH (My biggest downgrade after initally placing them very highly, Jake Turner could easily be George Congreve 2.0 and the 2.00 pointer won't do much imo)

6. EDINBURGH (All about Craig Cook, If Cookie rediscovers some of his old form then Edinburgh will be the dark horses imo)

7. OXFORD (Tail is too long to make the play-offs imo)

8. BERWICK (Toothless at reserve)

9. BIRMINGHAM (Nothing positive to say unfortunately, It's a team of reserves + Sedgmen & Morris)

Edited by TTT
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, eric i said:

Some might be revaluating Birmingham's side now Proctor has signed at reserve. I know hes had a lot of injuries in the past but he could easy put a point or 2 on his average riding at reserve.

Trouble is it will come off again once he is back in the Top5,which is a strong possibility with that Team.

On 3/7/2023 at 4:46 PM, TTT said:

1. REDCAR (Shanes was the only weak link, He's gone now so Redcar now moves up into first position in my rankings)

2. POOLE (Whoever replaces Thomas will be decent enough, Another strong campaign in store)

5. PLYMOUTH (My biggest downgrade after initally placing them very highly, Jake Turner could easily be George Congreve 2.0 and the 2.00 pointer won't do much imo)

6. EDINBURGH (All about Craig Cook, If Cookie rediscovers some of his old form then Edinburgh will be the dark horses imo)

9. BIRMINGHAM (Nothing positive to say unfortunately, It's a team of reserves + Sedgmen & Morris)

Poole will take some beating if they sign Rew .allways   up there every year..

On 3/7/2023 at 4:46 PM, TTT said:

I personally don't think berwick are a strong side but to say Toothless at reserve when they are probably stronger than alot of the other nl riders in champ is harsh.