British Speedway Forum

Predictions for 2023

I wouldn't agree Ben Cook is better than Brennan right now, but I would agree he has strong upside. And whilst I like Tom a lot, he needs to do more to demonstrate progression this year. Maybe with a year under his belt at 5, we will see that. Although I struggle to understand why Glasgow are running Ben at 3 and Tom at 5 - I'd have them the other way round, personally.

23 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Is my mind deceiving me or weren't there Poole fans on here about June time wanting Ben cook replaced? Now he's better than Brennan and Thomson? Short memories 

Don’t remember a single Poole fan wanting Ben Cook replaced last season. Just got better and better as the season progressed.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Just now, Steve Shovlar said:

Don’t remember a single Poole fan wanting Ben Cook replaced last season. Just got better and better as the season progressed.

Sure? During the poor run of early summer? 

Not having a go at the rider, was class on his ashfield debut. Hasn't been as impressive since curiously.

Cook has far more pressure for first time that Thomson and Brennan had last season. I see those 2 adding a point or more to their averages, if cook can add 0.5-1 will have done well imo.

12 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Sure? During the poor run of early summer? 

Not having a go at the rider, was class on his ashfield debut. Hasn't been as impressive since curiously.

Cook has far more pressure for first time that Thomson and Brennan had last season. I see those 2 adding a point or more to their averages, if cook can add 0.5-1 will have done well imo.

You are under rating Ben Cook. It’s perhaps understandable since he is relatively new to British speedway but as the two clips above show, he is progressing rapidly in the right direction. Here’s another clip of Ben passing MPT at Plymouth and the commentator completely missing it. Go to 52 mins heat 14. Ben struggling on the tiny Plymouth track but finally getting to grips with it.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Based on their full averages for last season, not rolling averages or bonus points.

Tom Brennan; Overall; 6:96 , Home: 7:48 and Away: 6:36

Ben Cook; Overall: 5.69 , Home: 6.93 and Away: 4.32

Kye Thomson; Overall: 6.75 , Home: 7.28 and Away: 6.21

Based on those figures I would say that Brennan is at present the best of the three.

Of the other two I would say that at present Thomson is better than Cook.

There is a big difference between Cook's Home and Away figures, whereas Brennan there is not much difference between Home and Away figures. 

9 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

You are under rating Ben Cook. It’s perhaps understandable since he is relatively new to British speedway but as the two clips above show, he is progressing rapidly in the right direction. Here’s another clip of Ben passing MPT at Plymouth and the commentator completely missing it. Go to 52 mins heat 14. Ben struggling on the tiny Plymouth track but finally getting to grips with it.

He finished season like a train no doubt, but that's no guarantee of the new season. Prime example being broc Nicol! He's no spring chicken so he might make a bigger jump, it's just an opinion 

Easy to do that way but how many seasons has Brennan and Thomson had in the CL? 

Let’s see at the end of this season. Confident Cook will not be behind Thomson and could well have a higher average than Brennan. The improvement was there for all to see. Time will tell.

37 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Easy to do that way but how many seasons has Brennan and Thomson had in the CL? 

Let’s see at the end of this season. Confident Cook will not be behind Thomson and could well have a higher average than Brennan. The improvement was there for all to see. Time will tell.

Thomson and Cook 2 full seasons (2021 and 2022) 

Brennan rode in 2019 but only raced 8 meetings and was out for the rest of the season due to serious injury.

So basically all three have the same Championship experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, spin king said:

Thomson and Cook 2 full seasons (2021 and 2022) 

Brennan rode in 2019 but only raced 8 meetings and was out for the rest of the season due to serious injury.

So basically all three have the same Championship experience.

So there we have it, as you say they essentially have the same second tier experience and Cook has the lowest average of the three.

In terms of where they are right now I'd say that's case closed. Let's all reconvene in eight months time and redebate it then.

So to conclude all 3 have now done 2 full seasons in the championship. Cook is the lowest average of the 3 but is the best of the 3. Makes completely logical sense if you’ve got blue and white specs with scull and crossbones on them I suppose.

Edited by Mr Blobby
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

So there we have it, as you say they essentially have the same second tier experience and Cook has the lowest average of the three.

In terms of where they are right now I'd say that's case closed. Let's all reconvene in eight months time and redebate it then.

Oh joy, I cannot wait! :D

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

So you're calling for a mass debate....

9 hours ago, spin king said:

Based on their full averages for last season, not rolling averages or bonus points.

Tom Brennan; Overall; 6:96 , Home: 7:48 and Away: 6:36

Ben Cook; Overall: 5.69 , Home: 6.93 and Away: 4.32

Kye Thomson; Overall: 6.75 , Home: 7.28 and Away: 6.21

Based on those figures I would say that Brennan is at present the best of the three.

Of the other two I would say that at present Thomson is better than Cook.

There is a big difference between Cook's Home and Away figures, whereas Brennan there is not much difference between Home and Away figures. 

Brennan was at 5 all season.

Kye was at 3 all season.

Cook was at 4,6 and 2

9 hours ago, Noelinho said:

I wouldn't agree Ben Cook is better than Brennan right now, but I would agree he has strong upside. And whilst I like Tom a lot, he needs to do more to demonstrate progression this year. Maybe with a year under his belt at 5, we will see that. Although I struggle to understand why Glasgow are running Ben at 3 and Tom at 5 - I'd have them the other way round, personally.

I hope there is some thought behind it too, and here's mine. You put Brennan at 3 there's at least a whole extra point going on his average. We won't have Basso back next season we were lucky to have him this year. Leave him at 3 let his average climb and switch in August to put Tom at 3, that is if we intend to keep Tom for 2024 and I would.

• Like 1

Agree that 3 is the easiest position for a heatleader to improve his average but why move Tom there in August when his GSA over the last ten meetings, which presumably will be used for 2024 team building, will get inflated. 

If Ben starts the season at 3, it wouldn't be hard for him to top our GSA averages and then have to go to number 1.

Did Poole rotate their heat leaders through the 3 position, stopping any one of them getting too high? May be we should do this?

• Like 2