British Speedway Forum

Predictions for 2023

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Just a few things to add:

1. I thought Adam did well at Poole last season when down with Scunny and also didn't he spanner for DK in 2021 or am I thinking of someone else? If so he would have seen the track a lot during that time. Also at Poole with BSN quite a few times last season too.

2. You make it sound like Nathan got zero every home meeting. I swear he 5-1'd the Glasgow pair at Poole and one of them was Paul Starke guesting I believe! I think there were quite a few other occasions he got points too! 

3. Don't you remember Jack Thomas riding for Brum at Poole in 2021? It was when the meeting was stopped for an hour cos of the crater on track. Think he got 9 at reserve, he was one of the few attacking the track and not just coasting round! 

Spot-on Lisa!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

I have to admit I like the fact that Poole have done the opposite to every team in the league. Every team has tried to maintain a strong 1,3,5 at the expensive of carrying a 2 pointer at 7. Poole haven't. Last season Poole did the same and had a strong number 6 (once drew kemp was at 2) to carry the third ride for their 2 pointer.

So will be good to see what the winning formula is this season.

Yeah, it will be interesting. My only hope, being a Glasgow supporter,  is that the expected increase in averages of our numbers 2 and 4 will make the difference. Need to just wait and see. 

7 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Relying on the Cooks making good progress like you say.Thomas starting to look at his level and Roynan won’t improve.

They're going to have a lot to live up to in 2023, Zach's turn in form was Scoring from reserve now he's in the main body of the team and Ben Cook has Danny kings boots to fill.

3 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

They're going to have a lot to live up to in 2023, Zach's turn in form was Scoring from reserve now he's in the main body of the team and Ben Cook has Danny kings boots to fill.

He's not replacing DK though. It is a new team with less points available. He is a third heat leader, so aiming for 7/8 points a meeting is the right way to look at it. Should never compare to previous year. Just compare to other teams in the Champ. 

Edited by lisa-colette
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

He's not replacing DK though. It is a new team with less points available. He is a third heat leader, so aiming for 7/8 points a meeting is the right way to look at it. Should never compare to previous year. Just compare to other teams in the Champ. 

Oh....... Apologies, comparing to the other teams in the championship.

I believe , Tom Brennan, Charles Wright, Kye Thomson, Lewis Kerr, Richy Worrall are far stronger proven third heat leaders.

5 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

I believe , Tom Brennan, Charles Wright, Kye Thomson, Lewis Kerr, Richy Worrall are far stronger proven third heat leaders.

Absolutely. Think Ben Cook is probably the second weakest third heat leader in the league after James Wright.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

Yes, do as you're told ;) :DPlus DK finished the season as Poole No1 so even in your comparison it wouldn't work. Would be Steve Worrall taking DK place and Ben taking Steve's place in last year's team! But anyway..

Well we will see! As Ben hasn't been third HL before it is hard to judge how it is going to go. He has beaten those riders before but whether he can finish similar averages to them at end of 2023 is hard to predict. If you want to write him off that is up to you but think he can definitely match Kyle Thomson's average next season. 

Also will have less pressure than someone like Lewis Kerr who has to win every race. The team is balanced enough that can have a bad ride and someone else can cover over it by doing well. 

8 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Absolutely. Think Ben Cook is probably the second weakest third heat leader i the league after James Wright.

Edited by lisa-colette

3 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Yes, do as you're told ;) :DPlus DK finished the season as Poole No1 so even in your comparison it wouldn't work. Would be Steve Worrall taking DK place and Ben taking Steve's place in last year's team! But anyway..

Well we will see! As Ben hasn't been third HL before it is hard to judge how it is going to go. He has beaten those riders before but whether he can finish similar averages to them at end of 2023 is hard to predict. If you want to write him off that is up to you but think he can definitely match Kyle Thomson's average next season. 

Also will have less pressure than someone like Lewis Kerr who has to win every race. The team is balanced enough that can have a bad ride and someone else can cover over it by doing well. 

No doubt Poole have a strong rest of the side, but the third heat leader is the only real doubt in my opinion. Every team will be weak in some area, though, due to the lower points limit, it just depends which area ends up proving to be the most costly.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Kye Thomson already done a whole season at 3, strong bloody rider and guested for us, was feint rumblings of him heading west down the M8 and would've been great at Glasgow. 

So in comparison I would say no :D

2 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

Kye Thomson already done a whole season at 3, strong bloody rider and guested for us, was feint rumblings of him heading west down the M8 and would've been great at Glasgow. 

So in comparison I would say no :D

This is a rider who has got zero at Poole(KOC final 2021), so I would say Ben can definitely match him! 

Edited by lisa-colette

3 hours ago, Bojangles said:

No doubt Poole have a strong rest of the side, but the third heat leader is the only real doubt in my opinion.

You think so

3 hours ago, Bojangles said:

5 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

I think Ben Cook is better than Brennan and Kye Thomson already. He is new to the leagues so non Poole fans have really yet to take serious notice of his abilities but Peterborough have been watching and Pirates fans know just how good this little racer is. 

Big things await Ben and if he continues to progress this coming season then Poland awaits. Very fast out front and able to make Impressive passes. I have no doubt he will do a great job in the third heat leader berth.

Course he is :Daveraged over half a point less than both Brennan & Thomson without bonuses in 2022. Might well turn out better than those two but as things stand he's behind them. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

This is a rider who has got zero at Poole(KOC final 2021), so I would say Ben can definitely match him! 

Ben Cook - 9 meetings away at #4 averaged 3.2/meeting.

4 meetings away at #6 averaged 5.8/meeting 

4 meetings away at #2 averaged 8.22/meeting

Kye Thomson - 18 meetings away at #3 averaged 6.6 a meeting.

My Aussies better than yours ;)

Edited by Cast1rn
  • Haha 1

If Poole fans were offered Kye or Ben Cook for the third heat leader berth, I doubt any would pick Kye over Ben. Cook progressed over the course of the season. Whilst I like Brennan and hope he will be a top British rider, having watched Ben since his arrival in the U.K., he has gone from strength to strength. But for the visa he was issued he would have had plenty of premier League rides last year.  This year will see what he can do. I have no doubt he will do more than his job for Poole in 23.