British Speedway Forum

KENT ROYALS 2023

hawks 1975

There have been 3 posts since I started typing this one!

It'll be interesting to see how the management go forward. Can somebody clarify the average position for me please?

The regs state that an established NDL match average will be issued when a rider completes 4 NDL fixtures irrespective of whether home or away and that average becomes effective 7 days after the 4th fixture. Kent's next meeting is on 14th May at home to Berwick so all of the riders other than Ablitt will establish new averages, effective from 21st May.  Their next meeting after that is away to Leicester on 27th May. Would they be able to redeclare the team for the meeting on 27th May or would the new averages not be valid for redeclaration purposes until 1st June? Unless I have misunderstood the regs.

All 3 matches qualifying for averages so far have been away, and 3 heavy defeats have been the results. Depending on the score in the home fixture against Berwick there could be room to drop Ablitt and replace him with Clegg. Using Ablitt's starting average of 7.20, the team combined average is currently 33.29, as per the rider statistics page on the British Speedway website

Nathan Ablitt 7.20
Ben Morley 8.62
Tom Woolley 5.33
Connor King 4.67
Rhys Naylor 3.69
Joe Alcock 2.00
Sam Woolley 1.78

In terms of the remaining riders the only other change I could think of making is at reserve replacing Sam Wooley. Joe Alcock only rode 2 away matches last year before suffering his serious injuries, he rode well in the home cup match against Mildenhall with paid 9 from 4 rides. However he has been down on the deck quite a few times since that meeting and I wonder if those falls are affecting his fitness and confidence.

Edited by Come on the Skipper
Spelling

3 hours ago, bigred said:

Get cleggy back,guaranteed double figures every meeting and pairs up superb with Ben.

You'd have to drop Ablitt, Alcock and King and bring in Clegg and x2 3.00ers... That would weaken them significantly...

1. Max Clegg

2. Rhys Naylor

3. Tom Woolley

4. Connor King

5. Ben Morley

6. Sam Woods/James Laker

7. Chris Watts

I would be gutted if I was a Kent fan with that team, although Max is one of my favourite riders.

If it's top end Kent want to improve on, they should look for someone like Stefan Nielsen in place of Nathan Ablitt (I get the impression he's not leaving the best taste in Kent supporters mouths?)

7 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

You'd have to drop Ablitt, Alcock and King and bring in Clegg and x2 3.00ers... That would weaken them significantly...

1. Max Clegg

2. Rhys Naylor

3. Tom Woolley

4. Connor King

5. Ben Morley

6. Sam Woods/James Laker

7. Chris Watts

I would be gutted if I was a Kent fan with that team, although Max is one of my favourite riders.

If it's top end Kent want to improve on, they should look for someone like Stefan Nielsen in place of Nathan Ablitt (I get the impression he's not leaving the best taste in Kent supporters mouths?)

Can you please explain on what basis Alcock and King would have to be replaced? Maybe I'm misreading the regulations.

013.3 TEAM COMPOSITION

A team’s declaration, initial and re-declared, is 42.00 with the minimum rider average permitted being 3.00. A maximum of two riders with a previous Championship League MA over 4.00, one of which must have participated in the NDL in the previous season.

It must also remain under 42.00 points for the top 7 riders when re-declared, permanent or temporary, except that the maximum may be exceeded where the MA of the introduced rider is equal to, or lower than, the rider being replaced. 

3 minutes ago, Come on the Skipper said:

Can you please explain on what basis Alcock and King would have to be replaced? Maybe I'm misreading the regulations.

013.3 TEAM COMPOSITION

A team’s declaration, initial and re-declared, is 42.00 with the minimum rider average permitted being 3.00. A maximum of two riders with a previous Championship League MA over 4.00, one of which must have participated in the NDL in the previous season.

It must also remain under 42.00 points for the top 7 riders when re-declared, permanent or temporary, except that the maximum may be exceeded where the MA of the introduced rider is equal to, or lower than, the rider being replaced. 

If the OP wanted Max Clegg in the team, then there would have to be points sacrificed elsewhere to fit him in, Joe (no I don't think he should be dropped at all) and Connor (don't have much of an opinion on him tbh) would need to be dropped to fit in Max's 11.83 average (I think it's a terrible idea as much as I really like Max)

Edited by Diamonds85

Ok, I understood that.

However, are you saying that if Kent redeclare that the redeclaration is based on the remaining riders averages used for the initial declaration? Their revised green sheet averages are not taken into consideration when a team is redeclared? 

For example, and just for discussions sake, Nathan's starting average for 2023 is 7.20 this drops to a GSA of 5, Kent wish to release him and replace him with another rider. Again for discussion purposes, Kent's declared combined average was 42, assuming one other rider had dropped from 8 to 6 and no other GSA changes, that would give Kent 4.2 points to work with. Kent do not wish to replace the other rider and the combined GSA for the team is now 37.8, therefore Kent can only replace Nathan with a rider of equivalent average and cannot use the additional points available due to the other rider's reduced GSA.

This brings their combined GSA up to 40 and not 42.

Unless. as I have stated in my previous posts, I have misunderstood the regs.   

3 minutes ago, Come on the Skipper said:

Ok, I understood that.

However, are you saying that if Kent redeclare that the redeclaration is based on the remaining riders averages used for the initial declaration? Their revised green sheet averages are not taken into consideration when a team is redeclared? 

For example, and just for discussions sake, Nathan's starting average for 2023 is 7.20 this drops to a GSA of 5, Kent wish to release him and replace him with another rider. Again for discussion purposes, Kent's declared combined average was 42, assuming one other rider had dropped from 8 to 6 and no other GSA changes, that would give Kent 4.2 points to work with. Kent do not wish to replace the other rider and the combined GSA for the team is now 37.8, therefore Kent can only replace Nathan with a rider of equivalent average and cannot use the additional points available due to the other rider's reduced GSA.

This brings their combined GSA up to 40 and not 42.

Unless. as I have stated in my previous posts, I have misunderstood the regs.   

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but a team can redeclare their full 1-7 up to the points limit at any point in the season, as far as I know, as long as it's under the points limit for the full team. If they were over the limit and they dropped a rider with a 5.20 average, they can only replace that rider with another rider up to 5.20 (even if said rider started the season on 7.20)

1 minute ago, NeilWatson said:

For one rider change, the replacement can have a Green Sheet Average up to or equal to the rider replaced (regardless of whether the team total exceeds the points limit). If more than one rider is changed simultaneously the new team total must not exceed the points limit.

Thank you Neil for your clarification. 

Been keeping a eye on Kent this year cant see why you guys would wanna drop king i would take Nathan out now he is at Berwick and try and get another rider but i dont  know who is about on his average .

• Confused 1

With the prospect of possible changes being made & stranger things have happened, but could there be the possibility of luring Paul Hurry out of retirement to resume his Kent connections. He is regularly seen practicing at Iwade whilst mentoring his protégé Sonny Springer. So as a matter of interest what average would he possibly come in on. ( racing in 2021 for the Kings in the Championship is average was 1.63 ) 

With tongue in cheek If the rule states that you double the Championship average of anyone riding in the Development League would that mean he would come in on a 3.26. Seeing that Adam Roynon came in on a 6.00 when his average at Scunthorpe was 3.00.
So how about this as a possible 1-7 for the Royals Promotion to consider.

1. Ben Morley  9.29

2. Rhys Naylor. 4.52

3. Tom Wooley 6.78

4. Joe Alcock 4.36

5. Nathan Ablitt 7.20

6. Connor King 4.16

7. Paul Hurry 3.26 ???

Total.               39.57

Edited by dave1075
Correction

Think Hurry's greensheet vs actual average differ drastically.....5.72 doubled would be a bit steep for NL. The other issue that keeps some Kent based connections from being as tempting is Grasstrack. Mulford didn't want a sunday track and i doubt Hurry or Powell would be overly keen either. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Think Hurry's greensheet vs actual average differ drastically.....5.72 doubled would be a bit steep for NL. The other issue that keeps some Kent based connections from being as tempting is Grasstrack. Mulford didn't want a sunday track and i doubt Hurry or Powell would be overly keen either. 

Sorry my error, Unfortunately I didn’t take into account that Hurry had only ridden 7 meetings ( 4H & 3A ) for the kings in 2021. So I stand corrected, thank you Sings4Speedway for putting me right. It’s just a shame he didn’t do one more away meeting as his new average might have been around the 2 point mark.

Obviously it shows what a struggle it is to construct a team when the powers that be at the B.S.P.A keep changing the guidelines from one season to the next.
Also S4S makes a good point about Jake Mulford not wanting a Sunday track, but currently his form seems to be struggling with both Belle Vue & Redcar and that a stint at NJL level would get his confidence back by winning races.

Looking ahead to what Kent's new averages could be (based on the first 3 matches)

Ben Morley 8.62

Nathan Ablitt 7.20

Tom Wolley 5.33

Connor King 4.67

Joe Alcock 4.36

Rhys Naylor 3.69

Sam Wolley 3.00

Total 36.87 (5.13 available)

Ablitt & Alcock wont get a new average, but the rest could go up or down after the 4th match, but there's room to strengthen up.

45 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Looking ahead to what Kent's new averages could be (based on the first 3 matches)

Ben Morley 8.62

Nathan Ablitt 7.20

Tom Wolley 5.33

Connor King 4.67

Joe Alcock 4.36

Rhys Naylor 3.69

Sam Wolley 3.00

Ablitt & Alcock wont get a new average, but the rest could go up or down after the 4th match, but there's room to strengthen up.

As you say depending on what happens on Sunday v Berwick. If they look at dropping Sam Wooley they have a potential 8.13 to play with. It also means they would have Joe Alcock & Rhys Naylor as a strong pairing at 6 & 7, which would help Joe with getting more confidence back.
The only setback being is there anyone available to fit in as the possible 2nd heat leader with Nathan Ablitt moving to 3rd heat leader & Tom Wooley as second string, making the royals very strong in all positions.

One option could be Plymouth’s Jake Turner on a 4.00 Championship average, doubled up to 8.00 National Average.

Here is the potential line up.

1. Ben Morley.     8.62

2. Connor King.   4.67

3. Nathan Ablitt.  7.20

4. Tom Wooley.   5.33

5. Jake Turner     8.00

6. Joe Alcock.     4.36

7. Rhys Naylor.    3.69

Total.                   41.87

Edited by dave1075
Added text

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

Ben Morley 8.62

Nathan Ablitt 7.20

Tom Wolley 5.33

Connor King 4.67

Joe Alcock 4.36

Rhys Naylor 3.69

Sam Wolley 3.00

Even though I quoted the regulations in one of my earlier posts I still managed to get the averages wrong for Sam Woolley and Joe Alcock.......As you say the number of points Kent has to play with will depend on how they perform on Sunday. 

Personally I wouldn't want the second heat leader to be an Australian, Turner may be a very good rider in the making but this is the National Development League. The question then is, who could they get in as a second heat leader? Or could they go big and replace Ablitt with Clegg? There's a 4.63 difference in their averages.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

On 5/9/2023 at 9:08 PM, Come on the Skipper said:

Even though I quoted the regulations in one of my earlier posts I still managed to get the averages wrong for Sam Woolley and Joe Alcock.......As you say the number of points Kent has to play with will depend on how they perform on Sunday. 

Personally I wouldn't want the second heat leader to be an Australian, Turner may be a very good rider in the making but this is the National Development League. The question then is, who could they get in as a second heat leader? Or could they go big and replace Ablitt with Clegg? There's a 4.63 difference in their averages.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

That alright then because hes from New Zealand .