British Speedway Forum

KENT ROYALS 2023

hawks 1975

11 hours ago, Come on the Skipper said:

Last season was my first season watching live speedway for many years, and this team is based around what I saw

How about?

1 Alfie Bowtell        10.67

2 Rhys Naylor            4.52

3 Ben Trigger             6.00

4 Joe Allcock             4.36

5 Ben Morley              9.29

6 Connor King            4.16

7 Chris Watts             3.00

If my averages and maths are correct that totals 42 exactly.

A couple of thoughts, if Ben Trigger were to sign I think that he could add a point to his average, he rode really well when he visited. Hopefully Joe has fully recovered from his injuries and can put a couple of points on his average. That, I feel would give the team a bit more strength in depth. 

However, it's all a guessing game at the moment.

That’s the team I’d like to see. 

Team now announced in full

Ben Morley            9.29

Connor King          4.16

Joe Alcock           4.36

Sam Woolley         3.27

Tom Woolley        6.78

Nathan Ablitt        7.20

Rhys Naylor          4.52

If my averages and maths are correct that totals 39.58.

Think 2 points under is bold. A lot rests on Ablitt getting to grips with Iwade, Joe finding his pre injury form and the others riding sensibly. Theres a lot of potential in the tail but equal potential to throw points away. Good news is that they should all get on and have good morale.....bad news is they will need it.

• Like 1

There is more strength in depth this year by tracking 3 heat leaders, rather than a very strong top 2, but in a stronger league Kent’s top 3 don’t match Oxford’s for example. The bottom 3 look a bit stronger for Kent too with a useful rider always at number 7, but then they’ve not picked up a rider who could double their average like Oxford, Leicester and Workington all have. The league looks slightly stronger next season with a higher points limit and less teams and in my opinion this Kent side is in for a struggle. But as long as they win at home to keep the fans happy. 

22 hours ago, Come on the Skipper said:

Team now announced in full

Ben Morley            9.29 

Connor King          4.16

Joe Alcock           4.36

Sam Woolley         3.27

Tom Woolley        6.78

Nathan Ablitt        7.20

Rhys Naylor          4.52

If my averages and maths are correct that totals 39.58.

I like the strength in depth, starting season with CK at reserve is a bonus. I felt we were too top heavy last year so prefer the balance of this side.

Edited by FinnThomsen

15 hours ago, Islander15 said:

There is more strength in depth this year by tracking 3 heat leaders, rather than a very strong top 2, but in a stronger league Kent’s top 3 don’t match Oxford’s for example. The bottom 3 look a bit stronger for Kent too with a useful rider always at number 7, but then they’ve not picked up a rider who could double their average like Oxford, Leicester and Workington all have. The league looks slightly stronger next season with a higher points limit and less teams and in my opinion this Kent side is in for a struggle. But as long as they win at home to keep the fans happy. 

That Oxford team is looking lethal! On paper I don’t think many can touch them. Just hope the big number support them, was class watching the Cheetahs Vs Pirates last year with big numbers in attendance 

• Like 1

While the Kent team doesn't look bad compared to last years. Workington, Leicester & Oxford look incredibly strong imo. So while it's hard to judge when other clubs either haven't made signings or confirmed their participation in the league, it seems the other clubs will be fighting for the remaining top 4 spot.

Edited by szkocjasid
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Comments from  the SpeedwayGB site:

KENT manager Jamie Willis has described the club’s start to the season as “totally unacceptable.”

The Royals have suffered five successive defeats in National Development League and KO Cup fixtures, including back-to-back reverses in their weekend Northern tour at Edinburgh and Berwick.

Willis said: “Something needs to change, whether that’s riders, riding order or our pre-meeting preparation.

“It’s going to be a busy couple of days for Si (Kellow) and me as we look to find the right formula.  

“We can only apologise to all those supporting us trackside or at home, and we will do all we can to turn around our performances.”

I feel the management need to take as much blame as the riders here, they picked a team 2.5 points under the limit, so is it any surprise.they are struggling? I didn't think they were a strong side, but have certainly performed worse than I expected.

13 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Comments from  the SpeedwayGB site:

KENT manager Jamie Willis has described the club’s start to the season as “totally unacceptable.”

The Royals have suffered five successive defeats in National Development League and KO Cup fixtures, including back-to-back reverses in their weekend Northern tour at Edinburgh and Berwick.

Willis said: “Something needs to change, whether that’s riders, riding order or our pre-meeting preparation.

“It’s going to be a busy couple of days for Si (Kellow) and me as we look to find the right formula.  

“We can only apologise to all those supporting us trackside or at home, and we will do all we can to turn around our performances.”

I feel the management need to take as much blame as the riders here, they picked a team 2.5 points under the limit, so is it any surprise.they are struggling? I didn't think they were a strong side, but have certainly performed worse than I expected.

I've not really rated Kent's team either, although I don't think it's too far away from being a lot better than it currently is, especially with it being so far under the limit. I'd do a straight swap, Connor King for Jack Kingston and I would line the team up like this:

1. Ben Morley

2. Rhys Naylor

3. Tom Woolley

4. Jack Kingston

5. Nathan Ablitt

6. Joe Alcock

7. Sam Woolley

May be a little bit harsh releasing Connor, but it's the numbers game. Alternatively you could swap Sam Woolley with Richard Andrews and keep Connor:

1. Ben Morley

2. Rhys Naylor

3. Tom Woolley

4. Richard Andrews

5. Nathan Ablitt

6. Joe Alcock

7. Connor King

Both teams fit under the limit, but I'm not sure if Jack or Richard still ride/would ride.

Morley and Naylor have been doing thier bit, King patchy but always ok on slick tracks and Tom Woolley about as expected.  Ablitts attitude has stunk, Sam Woolleys form has stunk and Alcock appears to be far from the fit and able rider that started last year. 

Kent have been slow to react too as Kinsley could have done a job, definitely need a bigger hitter at the very least but 2/3 changes are needed for any realistic league chances. 

• Like 1

Team built 2 points under the limit, a huge reliance on Morley at 1 with no depndable big heat backup. Strength in depth only works if/when everyone is firing and comitted. 

Its not too late as away wins for many will be hard to come by BUT home defeats and aggregate points are crucial and a lot of work to do against a couple of the weaker teams in the league.