British Speedway Forum

Gorzow GP Saturday 24th June 2023

48 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

So, were do we take the line from to judge who should or shouldn't be in the SGPs? The same guys are topping the Elitserien too, so who that isn't already in the SGPs (Sayfutdinov & Laguta apart) deserves to be there? 

Have top 8 qualify & top 7 from a GP challenge - no wild cards needed - no arguments on who "deserves" to be there!

Not gonna happen, but I can dream lol!

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

Don't agree it's a closed shop. The ball park is the Ekstraliga & just looking at the top 20 in the averages we pretty much get those rider's year after year. We certainly don't want to see the like of Kolodziej, Wozniak & Hampel in it anymore

The real struggle is, soon, the SGP Series could become Polish dominated if Sweden, Denmark & UK don't get their fingers out their a$$. There's not many U30s showing up & out performing the OAPs but once these guys hang up their Kevlars it's Poland all the way. 

Why not? If Kolodziej or Hampel qualify they deserve to be there ahead of any non- qualifiers

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

That is 100% the point, just because he doesn't win rounds doesn't mean he's not GP standard. Just because he's not as good as he used to be doesn't mean he's not GP standard!

When was the last time he "qualified" for a GP? In fact has he ever done the qualifying rounds?

4 minutes ago, iainb said:

When was the last time he "qualified" for a GP? In fact has he ever done the qualifying rounds?

He's never qualified via the qualifying rounds, either got a wildcard or finished in the top 8.

However neither of those mean "GP standard" that is being one of the top 15 riders in the world!

I would suggest Kim Nilsson isn't really a "GP standard" rider but he 100% deserves to be there because he qualified. Then last year Bewley was clearly a "GP standard" rider but I didn't think he "deserved" to be there because he didn't qualify!

• Like 1

Zmarzlik is no doubt the best rider by far and can only beat whats put in front of him but i feel hes come along at the right time. The likes of Woffinden, Doyle, Lindgren, are on the slide and are not the riders they were, the upcoming younger riders are nowhere near yet the likes of Bewley, Lambert, Holder, Magic and Dudek arent good enough to challenge so Bartoz is having a bit of a free run at the moment the two that could challenge are suspended in Emil and Artem, Far cry from the days of Crump, Rickardson, Adams, Gollob, Pedersen etc banging elbows. A poor meeting and we seem to be saying that more often than not when it comes to the GP,s.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

Zmarzlik is no doubt the best rider by far and can only beat whats put in front of him but i feel hes come along at the right time. The likes of Woffinden, Doyle, Lindgren, are on the slide and are not the riders they were, the upcoming younger riders are nowhere near yet the likes of Bewley, Lambert, Holder, Magic and Dudek arent good enough to challenge so Bartoz is having a bit of a free run at the moment the two that could challenge are suspended in Emil and Artem, Far cry from the days of Crump, Rickardson, Adams, Gollob, Pedersen etc banging elbows. A poor meeting and we seem to be saying that more often than not when it comes to the GP,s.

Lindgren is not young rider but I can't say I have seen any drop off in his form. 

2 hours ago, racers and royals said:

4 !!!!

yes 4 this year... marginally better than it was but it will only feature 3 of the current of the GP crop, Vaculik, Doyle & Holder... Lambert, Nilsson & Fricke failed to qualify, you could question whether the other 9, Bartek excepted, are really (and I mean really, really!) that interested in becoming World Champion. They may tell you they are but they're not really displaying the hunger that World Champions need. If they want to make a nice living milking the golden Polish t1t, that's great, don't waste everybody else's time by going through the motions in the GP every week. I'd rather watch 16 riders wanting to win something than 6 or 7 wanting to win with the rest going through the motions

Edited by iainb

8 hours ago, bellevueace said:

Far cry from the days of Crump, Rickardson, Adams, Gollob, Pedersen etc banging elbows. A poor meeting and we seem to be saying that more often than not when it comes to the GP,s.

Time can cloud memories. Did they ever really 'bang elbows' as you put it? 

The only thing that springs to mind is Tony knocking Nicki off in Berlin accidentally. Incidents, racing and genuine controversy between those riders was few and far between.  Many of the seasons that featured those riders, someone got hold of the series lead from the first round and retained it all year.

Certainly, none of them produced a final of such breathtaking on the edge brilliance, as some of the finals Zmarzlik seems to churn out on a yearly basis, apart from Gollob on Jimmy Nilsen in Wroclaw 1999.

• Thanks 1

The GP series is now over. Boring tracks with no dirt, second rate and over the top riders coining it in and going through the motions.

Crowd was not as large as normal for a Polish GP.

Last night was a season ending watch for me as it is boring.

What would interest me is seeing Zmarzlik in UK? How would he fare on a tricky track like Wolverhampton?

So until he appears here wont be visiting any meetings until then, in other words retiring from actively watching live speedway.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Utterly dire GP on what is meant to be a decent race track. Only decent race was the final but Zmarzlik just hasn’t got any real opposition. Turn the clock back 10-15 years ago and the event was far more competitive. Today it’s who can stop Zmarzlik, and the answer is no one. Especially as it’s so Polish based and raced on a tr5ck Zmarzlik knows like the back of his hands.

Utterly, utterly boring to be honest and a real shame. I have always looked forwards to the GP series but frankly it’s hardly worth the time. 

So this will be your final post on the GP's because you won't be watching any more...right?

2 minutes ago, secsy1 said:

What would interest me is seeing Zmarzlik in UK? How would he fare on a tricky track like Wolverhampton?

He would maybe take 1 or 2 rides to sus the place out and then he'd be awesome... the guy is class. 

Like you I would love to see it though. 

• Like 2

Just now, iainb said:

He would maybe take 1 or 2 rides to sus the place out and then he'd be awesome... the guy is class. 

Spot on. 

He had a small track in his back yard when he was a kid, hence why he has such tremendous throttle control and the ability to turn the bike so hard.

Clearly had that not been the case he may have had to consider riding in the UK regularly to develop those skills.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, secsy1 said:

The GP series is now over. Boring tracks with no dirt, second rate and over the top riders coining it in and going through the motions.

Crowd was not as large as normal for a Polish GP.

Last night was a season ending watch for me as it is boring.

So until he appears here wont be visiting any meetings until then, in other words retiring from actively watching live speedway.

Congratulations !!! Going through the motions- 110% racing from the riders every GP.

• Like 1

What a load of crap people write on here

Zmarzlik is the best around and maybe the competition isn’t the best but he is still a class act and would have won titles in any era 

Got to laugh at people saying Doyle and Lindgren are past it lol … 2nd and 3rd in the world but last it lol…

And those saying Tai shouldn’t get a wildcard lol…. The guy is 9th in the world so please go ahead and find 7 riders who should be in above him …. Only Emil and Laguta but nobody else….do people expect all 15 riders to be capable of winning a world title lol…… back in the days of the one off there was always only ever 6 or 7 riders you thought could win it … the night of a GP is no different…… I wouldn’t expect the likes of Michelsen Thomson and Nilsson to win a GP but they could and in Thomsens case already have ….. in the one off none of the eastern block could win it and in my first one in 1990 you also had riders like Miller Dugard Correy who you wouldn’t have given a chance to.

So yes Tai isn’t a rostrum challenger but find 15 riders better than him you won’t ….. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Over the last few years the GP Series has got more and more boring. You watch a pretty boring meeting but then have the mindset that the next one will be better so you tune in again and hey presto, it's another boring one. 

Overall, not much excitement and very little real controversy. Riders too pally with each other, no real characters and the whole thing has become rather stale. No one to challenge the current champ (not his fault) and the emphasis quickly shifts to who is going to qualify for next year as opposed to who is going to be world champion. 

To liven things up why don't they have a wild card track every year, each participating country could nominate two tracks so the UK for instance could name Wolverhampton and Redcar. A draw is then made live on TV and a meeting is held at that particular venue. Just an idea of course but the series needs major surgery.

• Like 2