British Speedway Forum

Birmingham Brummies 2023

*JJ

6 minutes ago, HGould said:

As I posted on the match thread the Gate looked better on Wednesday. 

I'd always estimated 450 to 500 each week and the article writer said 600 on Wednesday which would seem about right visually. 

Nigel said he needed 1000 to break even which we've had a handful of times since the Masons came and through to now. 

Average over CL era at PB probably 500 ish

He must be forking out 50 to 70k a year to support the Club. I know he has an established business but bloody hell that's a lot of badges. 

He's done all he can, as did David and Peter Mason. 

With doubts about Stadium it must be like continually filling up your petrol tank and driving round with the sump plug missing. 

For his own health and welfare I doubt anyone could complain if he walked away. 

It's sad but even with Coventry and Cradley closed we've probably only gained 50 regulars judging on their old colours and doubt we'd attract many from Wolves of they closed. 

Sums up the current state of the sport. 

Only realistic hope I believe is for BV, Ipswich Sheffield, Poole, Oxford, Glasgow who seem solvent or fundable to form a new league and any remaining including some threatened with closure to lok at a hybrid lower CL / upper NDL model eg Berwick, Edinburgh, Redcar, Scunny, Leicester, KL, Workington, and hope Wolves and Plymouth Brummies, Mildenhall, Kent can hang on somehow (sorry if missed anyone out) 

The sport is in a perilous state regarding future of so many Clubs difficult too envisage what going to be the future even as early as next season. 

4 hours ago, Deano said:

I’d like to know why the council lease the land to a property builder/speculator, then question why they want to build houses. I didn’t realise the greyhounds were sub-letters too.

Is it not the greyhounds that have got the lease?  I know they use to have it

4 hours ago, Deano said:

I’d like to know why the council lease the land to a property builder/speculator, then question why they want to build houses. I didn’t realise the greyhounds were sub-letters too.

Are you sure that's who the lease was agreed with? From memory, the original lease was with the GRA, and has been sold on perhaps several times. No different to buying / selling leasehold houses.

Be interesting to see what happens when the lease expires. The local ward councillors oppose the plans for housing.

That said, Perry Barr is a Lib-Dem ward in  Labour controlled city, and adding hundreds more potential Labour voters could turn Perry Barr into a Labour ward at the next election. It's a dirty and murky old world, that of politics. Nothing would surprise me.

24 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

That said, Perry Barr is a Lib-Dem ward in  Labour controlled city, and adding hundreds more potential Labour voters could turn Perry Barr into a Labour ward at the next election. It's a dirty and murky old world, that of politics. Nothing would surprise me.

What if the new householders are all Lib-Dem voters? :lol:

1 hour ago, SSL84 said:

Is it not the greyhounds that have got the lease?  I know they use to have it

It says in the article the company with the current lease.

taken from the article:

As for the council's stance regarding the future of Perry Barr Stadium, a spokesman said: "The city council owns the freehold of the Perry Barr Greyhound Stadium, while the Corbally Group are the long-term leaseholders – so any redevelopment on the site must be agreed with the council as the landowner and through its planning process, in line with local and national policy.

Edited by Deano

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

Are you sure that's who the lease was agreed with? From memory, the original lease was with the GRA, and has been sold on perhaps several times. 

Exactly my thoughts, but see my post above with text taken from the article 

18 minutes ago, kitten2502 said:

With respect, it still could not be classed as "packed".

3 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Just shows you the current state of British speedway if 600 is classed as packed. 

Dunno, could depend on what size the folk were?,,, chuck a few salad dodgers in and it might look fuller.

Re - Stadium    Followed this to Wiki       "  Perry Barr Stadium (also known as Perry Barr Greyhound Stadium and previously as Alexander Sports Ground(s)[1]) is a greyhound racing and motorcycle speedway stadium on Aldridge Road in Perry Barr, Birmingham, England. The track is operated by the Arena Racing Company (ARC), who lease it from owners the National Asset Management Agency. Racing takes place every Saturday evening, in addition to their four ARC fixtures.                                                                                                                                                        Searched  " National Asset Management Agency" on wiki got this.......             The National Asset Management Agency (NAMA; Irish: Gníomhaireacht Náisiúnta um Bhainistíocht Sócmhainní) is a body created by the government of Ireland in late 2009 in response to the Irish financial crisis and the deflation of the Irish property bubble.                                     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Asset_Management_Agency      ......................... I presume there is only one company called this?.

1 hour ago, Bluenose said:

Re - Stadium    Followed this to Wiki       "  Perry Barr Stadium (also known as Perry Barr Greyhound Stadium and previously as Alexander Sports Ground(s)[1]) is a greyhound racing and motorcycle speedway stadium on Aldridge Road in Perry Barr, Birmingham, England. The track is operated by the Arena Racing Company (ARC), who lease it from owners the National Asset Management Agency. Racing takes place every Saturday evening, in addition to their four ARC fixtures.                                                                                                                                                        Searched  " National Asset Management Agency" on wiki got this.......             The National Asset Management Agency (NAMA; Irish: Gníomhaireacht Náisiúnta um Bhainistíocht Sócmhainní) is a body created by the government of Ireland in late 2009 in response to the Irish financial crisis and the deflation of the Irish property bubble.                                     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Asset_Management_Agency      ......................... I presume there is only one company called this?.

The Directors of Corbally Group are Irish, if you go to companies house.

16 hours ago, tyretrax said:

What if the new householders are all Lib-Dem voters? :lol:

Judging by the plans and the artists impressions in those plans they are not aiming at your average Lib-Dem voter. There are no detached or semi-detached houses with gardens in the plan, rather, a dense package of apartments, for rent, or which are "affordable" and "social" housing. A modern day "Council Estate", if you will. That tends to attract people who tend to vote Labour. And it needs less than 200 votes for one of the Lib Dem councillors to lose her majority, and about 600 votes for the "legendary" Jon Hunt to lose his. Jon Hunt being the legendary opponent to every change to happen in Perry Barr. He opposed the reintroduction of speedway in 2006 and now he's effectively opposing the removal of it. Don't you just love politicians? The only problem is, that whatever he opposes, happens anyway, so don't hold your breath.

9 hours ago, Deano said:

The Directors of Corbally Group are Irish, if you go to companies house.

I read somewhere that the current lease expires in 2026. So what Corbally are basically saying is that what they want to do after 2026 is to build houses. And they want to start the planning process now so that the pieces of the jigsaw are ready to put together when the lease runs out. And on their heads be it. Planning permission still needs to be granted. They can submit all the lovely plans that they want, but if permission isn't granted, then the plans go nowhere. There are 8 or 9 huge plots of land in that area (e.g. Wellhead Lane) ready to build on right now, that require no demolition at all, and my feeling is that the Planners would want these to be used up before any other land is repurposed. Let's hope that the planners take inspiration from Rugby Borough Council in standing up to property speculators. But as with all things political, I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, lewy said:

Birmingham management not playing by the rules, tapping up other teams heat leaders hopefully bites him on the arse.

Care to explain/ name names of who is supposedly being tapped up please. ? 
I think I know who you may be alluding to but I’d be intrigued as to who you mean