British Speedway Forum

Birmingham Brummies 2023

*JJ

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

And they were right then - will they be right this time as well?

I’ll admit it’s a signing that’s surprised me, and it’s definitely a gamble. But then, in my view, less of a gamble than Manzares. 

Disagree personally. 

For an alternative opinion of Birmingham's strength I'm gonna compare them to Edinburgh. 

Now Edinburgh reached the semis last year & have only slightly weakened from a 42 to a 40 limit, Cook for Masters & Bickley for Sarjeant - so you could say that's a sensible team to guage yourself against if you wanna reach the play-offs!

Top 2: Morris & Sedgmen vs Pickering & Cook.
Edinburgh a little stronger (Birmingham have the strongest & weakest)

Second strings: Nielsen & Bowtell vs Castagna & Fredriksen, similar strength (Edinburgh have the strongest & weakest)

Reserves: Proctor & Pearson vs Hook & Bickley, I'd say Birmingham edge this.

Biggest difference between the teams is the 3rd heat leader Wright vs Thomson where Edinburgh are definitely stronger.

So if Birmingham are not much weaker than last year's top 4 side, they must be strong enough to challenge for a top 6 spot this year right?

Edited by szkocjasid
Spacing

16 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

For an alternative opinion of Birmingham's strength I'm gonna compare them to Edinburgh. 

Now Edinburgh reached the semis last year & have only slightly weakened from a 42 to a 40 limit, Cook for Masters & Bickley for Sarjeant - so you could say that's a sensible team to guage yourself against if you wanna reach the play-offs!

Second strings: Nielsen & Bowtell vs Castagna & Fredriksen, similar strength (Edinburgh have the strongest & weakest)

Biggest difference between the teams is the 3rd heat leader Wright vs Thomson where Edinburgh are definitely stronger.

So if Birmingham are not much weaker than last year's top 4 side, they must be strong enough to challenge for a top 6 spot this year right?

Hmm, how about a comparison with Oxfords team this season. That would be quite interesting! 

9 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Hmm, how about a comparison with Oxfords team this season. That would be quite interesting! 

Harder to compare as they are built more differently, Oxford obviously stronger at the top, but weaker at the bottom.

I figured Edinburgh were the closest match to Birmingham for how they built their teams 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Not sure you can compare B'ham reaching top 6 this season, when most other teams are different compared to last season ?

Your pitching this seasons team selection against 'other' teams last season selection ? (apart from Edinburgh of course....)

Edited by GiveusaB

11 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Not sure you can compare B'ham reaching top 6 this season, when most other teams are different compared to last season ?

Your pitching this seasons team selection against 'other' teams last season selection ? (apart from Edinburgh of course....)

With the points limit reduced, most teams should be weaker, so I'm suggesting Edinburgh with minimal changes shouldn't do any worse than last year! Are Birmingham are a similar strength to Edinburgh? If so can be chasing a play-off spot!

1 minute ago, szkocjasid said:

With the points limit reduced, most teams should be weaker, so I'm suggesting Edinburgh with minimal changes shouldn't do any worse than last year! Are Birmingham are a similar strength to Edinburgh? If so can be chasing a play-off spot!

Okay, so if Brum finish 6th which 3 teams will finish below them? I think that is why they are predicted bottom, everyone thinks everyone else is stronger! 

49 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Okay, so if Brum finish 6th which 3 teams will finish below them? I think that is why they are predicted bottom, everyone thinks everyone else is stronger! 

I can't see 3 teams finishing below Birmingham, I'm just trying to find ways for Brummies fans to be positive about the new season, but it's not easy lol!

11 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I can't see 3 teams finishing below Birmingham, I'm just trying to find ways for Brummies fans to be positive about the new season, but it's not easy lol!

Are you the new PR for B'ham then ? :D

I would have thought that 'simply' existing is the most positive outcome that B'ham fans could have?

It's attracting 'new' fans that's the problem....

The main problem of having a weak team (IMO) is that it's less appealing for a neutral/(or fan from another team) to come to Perry Barr on the odd occasion.

From a team perspective...we have got a very solid number 1 and a very solid reserve in Proctor (if he lasts....) I think we'll hold our own at home, which in-turn will encourage the afore mentioned 'neutral/s' to come and see some decent/competitive racing every now and then.

After all, who wants to see teams 'slayed' every week? boring!

17 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

The main problem of having a weak team (IMO) is that it's less appealing for a neutral/(or fan from another team) to come to Perry Barr on the odd occasion.

I'd say the exact opposite. I'd much rather go to Birmingham v (say) Redcar - match that could go either way; than Poole v Berwick ( which  looks like a home banker).

As a rule home defeats are not good for business. While the Brummie team looks weak away, it might just be competitive at home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

I'd say the exact opposite. I'd much rather go to Birmingham v (say) Redcar - match that could go either way; than Poole v Berwick ( which  looks like a home banker).

As a rule home defeats are not good for business. While the Brummie team looks weak away, it might just be competitive at home.

....isn't nearly every Poole (home) match a banker ? (well...sounds like 'banker' ?) :D

• Haha 3