British Speedway Forum

Birmingham Brummies 2023

*JJ

On 1/26/2023 at 12:16 PM, GiveusaB said:

Apologies...I wasn't insinuating that you were being disrespectful...I actually thought that you might be being serious :D (after all, Tom made an appearance last season v Big Al's Memorial)

I think you may be right with 'Gino'?

I don't think there can be too much criticism whoever it is....(it's only a reserve...no expectations and all that)

The damage is/was done signing Morris on a 10 plus average! IMO

Yeah ...Doesn't  leave much for the rest ...

On 1/26/2023 at 12:16 PM, GiveusaB said:

Apologies...I wasn't insinuating that you were being disrespectful...I actually thought that you might be being serious :D (after all, Tom made an appearance last season v Big Al's Memorial)

I think you may be right with 'Gino'?

I don't think there can be too much criticism whoever it is....(it's only a reserve...no expectations and all that)

The damage is/was done signing Morris on a 10 plus average! IMO

While I agree Morris won't keep his average, after the problems they had with heat leaders last year, I can see why they've gone for one of the top 5 riders in the league to lead their team!

Edited by szkocjasid

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

I think it's a short sighted move, especially with the team average being lowered!

I think its a deal that suits the rider more than the club.

It's done now and all club supporters can do is get on with it.

I fail to see signing one of the Top riders in the Championship’s is negative.Too obsessed with averages.IMO.If he wins 3-4 heats a meeting ( which he has every chance of doing)he will be keeping the Team in the match.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

I fail to see signing one of the Top riders in the Championship’s is negative.Too obsessed with averages.IMO.If he wins 3-4 heats a meeting ( which he has every chance of doing)he will be keeping the Team in the match.

Not if all (or most) of the other heats are 2-4's or 1-5's to the opposition!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

You can’t do nothing if the rest of the team are crap though.Every Team needs a good No1 to nullify Hts 13 & 15.

It's all down to opinion, of course, but you are asking for trouble if you build a team around two heats (13 & 15 in this case). To me, you are better building "strength in depth" rather than too "top heavy".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, StevePark said:

It's all down to opinion, of course, but you are asking for trouble if you build a team around two heats (13 & 15 in this case). To me, you are better building "strength in depth" rather than too "top heavy".

You don’t give any credit to the other 6 riders.What’s the ratio for league winners Top Heavy v Strength in depth.I can think of Workington as strength in Depth Winners but not many more.

7 hours ago, Fromafar said:

You can’t do nothing if the rest of the team are crap though.Every Team needs a good No1 to nullify Hts 13 & 15.

25 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

You don’t give any credit to the other 6 riders.What’s the ratio for league winners Top Heavy v Strength in depth.I can think of Workington as strength in Depth Winners but not many more.

Glasgow 2011 I'd throw in as well. Sure had screeny as a no.1 but the real strength was at reserve and second string. Theo, the Raj, nick and Christian Henry (then bellego) interchanged all season and all scored heavily from all positions. Even losing josh mid season didn't derail us (although if play offs had been in place doubt we'd have beaten Newport)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jaizer said:

Glasgow 2011 I'd throw in as well. Sure had screeny as a no.1 but the real strength was at reserve and second string. Theo, the Raj, nick and Christian Henry (then bellego) interchanged all season and all scored heavily from all positions. Even losing josh mid season didn't derail us (although if play offs had been in place doubt we'd have beaten Newport)

That’s the Birmingham scenario this season with Morris at No1 and the rest could be anything.

• Like 1