British Speedway Forum

Birmingham Brummies 2023

*JJ

9 hours ago, Essex said:

If Brum lost this sort of money and Glasgow even more and never won anything and yes I know you get nothing ££££ wise for winning and trophies don't matter to some On here but the promoters must have money to burn or this is an expensive plaything.What sort of business sense is this or is this the norm,can't believe the Ford's run Poole on that basis.

You have to remember that Poole speedway is in a prime holiday area and holiday season crowds will always be healthy, plus its an affluent area which is good for sponsorship. We keep hearing that Poole don't pay over the odds but neither are they paying peanuts.

In any case its up to Glasgow and Brum's owners what they pay, nothing to do with anyone else.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Petecc said:

If it was 250k or £2.50 what has it got to do with any of us. If Nigel Tolley or the two Scottish chaps wish to spend their money in this way that's their choice. We should embrace this and promote our sport in a positive light instead of bitting the hand that feeds it.

If the promotion/s don't want us to discuss finances etc....then may be they shouldn't keep telling us how much it costs to run a speedway club?

They have decided to put their money in, so just get on with it!

Sometimes a 'negative' post/comment from a supporter/fan, isn't aimed at putting the sport down, it's sometimes 'advice/criticism' to try and change things for the better/longevity of the sport?

I guess that's the whole point of forums/discussion boards etc.....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Essex said:

If Brum lost this sort of money and Glasgow even more and never won anything and yes I know you get nothing ££££ wise for winning and trophies don't matter to some On here but the promoters must have money to burn or this is an expensive plaything.What sort of business sense is this or is this the norm,can't believe the Ford's run Poole on that basis.

Don’t know whyGlasgow comes into this matter.No one from their Promotion have said anything regarding finances last season.

45 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Maybe that clubs being honest with their supporters about finances might stop some of them winging about the lack of this and the lack of that and not signing the likes of a Tai Woffinden instead of an Ashley Morris ?

I think that will be difficult unless supporters become Buddhists overnight ! :D

Whinging is an egoic mind state of modern society...very hard to control...no chance of ever stopping!!!

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t know whyGlasgow comes into this matter.No one from their Promotion have said anything regarding finances last season.

I think the references to Glasgow go back to the Promo video they published a few seasons ago when they said that speedway was costing them at least £100k a season and they would be expecting to win a trophy/league/cup for that expenditure.

20 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I think the references to Glasgow go back to the Promo video they published a few seasons ago when they said that speedway was costing them at least £100k a season and they would be expecting to win a trophy/league/cup for that expenditure.

Yeh a few seasons ago.Like some are saying it’s their business, not for people to moan about their losses.If they throw the towel in at least they gave it a shot.Nobody knows in speedway what will happen during a season regarding winning things though,a lot of factors come into it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Petecc said:

If it was 250k or £2.50 what has it got to do with any of us. If Nigel Tolley or the two Scottish chaps wish to spend their money in this way that's their choice. We should embrace this and promote our sport in a positive light instead of bitting the hand that feeds it.

Petecc is correct in the fact that it has nothing to do with any of us, but given the fact that the club is losing/spending that amount of money is alarming to any fan surely? Makes you wonder where that amount of cash goes. I know there is rent, medical costs, rider wages etc but even so, that is a lump of cash to be getting through. 

8 hours ago, Deano said:

For me it sums up that running a speedway club is expensive. I struggle to understand why promoters and riders aren’t actively trying to make running it cheaper. It seems a no brainer to me.

because it would require some radical decisions that they seem unable to make. The dog should be wagging the tail but the reverse is the current situation.

• Like 3

On 12/12/2022 at 1:00 AM, Essex said:

I wonder how many clubs actually turn a profit. Perhaps it’s long overdue that at one of these AGMs the promotors sat down together and agreed between them it’s time to cut their cloth accordingly. 

In the current economic climate any enterprise that’s held as a hobby and loses money hand over fist is going to be the first thing jettisoned if things get tight. A business that breaks even or turns a profit, no matter how meagre, has a stronger chance of survival. 

9 hours ago, Deano said:

For me it sums up that running a speedway club is expensive. I struggle to understand why promoters and riders aren’t actively trying to make running it cheaper. It seems a no brainer to me.

Spot on, no idea why someone has reacted with a laugh.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Maybe that clubs being honest with their supporters about finances

Let's face it, if they don't say something, people will make stuff up just to fill the "knowledge gap". Invent a "fact", say it often enough and it becomes a "virtual truth".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGuvnor said:

I wonder how many clubs actually turn a profit.

How many clubs are totally independent of other business interests?  If speedway had to stand on its own, it would fall flat on its face. However, if speedway is promoted by people who run other profitable businesses, e.g. Tolley at Birmingham, the Facennas at Glasgow, and previously the Duggards at Eastbourne etc, then speedway benefits from becoming a bit of an indulgence, where profits from the other business, instead of going to the tax man, get invested into an "enjoyable hobby", and get written off the tax bill. Let's just hope that the badge making business doesn't suffer too much in the recession.

Birmingham just never seem to be able to make it work, how many different promotions have tried and failed there? For such a large city, you'd think crowds would be higher.

Looking at the team building for this season, its hard to see that changing in 2023 either. Looks like they've splashed the cash on their number one and don't seem bothered about the rest.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Birmingham just never seem to be able to make it work, how many different promotions have tried and failed there? For such a large city, you'd think crowds would be higher.

Not enough people are interested in speedway and in any case, why would they be? What aspect of the sport would attract people who know nothing about it and have probably never even heard of it? 

The sport was lost to the city for 21 years, that's a lot of existing and potential fans lost to something else. The first few seasons back were fairly successful, crowd and team wise, then it kind of came of the rails and has struggled to repeat the "glory days" since. 

Football is the king really, Villa, Blues, Albion and Walsall all within easy reach. That's where the sporting interest largely is. Edgbaston come the 20/20 stuff too, packed out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

How many clubs are totally independent of other business interests?  If speedway had to stand on its own, it would fall flat on its face. However, if speedway is promoted by people who run other profitable businesses, e.g. Tolley at Birmingham, the Facennas at Glasgow, and previously the Duggards at Eastbourne etc, then speedway benefits from becoming a bit of an indulgence, where profits from the other business, instead of going to the tax man, get invested into an "enjoyable hobby", and get written off the tax bill. Let's just hope that the badge making business doesn't suffer too much in the recession.

I think there has to be some truth in your post....tax off-set etc....

6 minutes ago, OGT said:

Not enough people are interested in speedway and in any case, why would they be? What aspect of the sport would attract people who know nothing about it and have probably never even heard of it? 

The sport was lost to the city for 21 years, that's a lot of existing and potential fans lost to something else. The first few seasons back were fairly successful, crowd and team wise, then it kind of came of the rails and has struggled to repeat the "glory days" since. 

Football is the king really, Villa, Blues, Albion and Walsall all within easy reach. That's where the sporting interest largely is. Edgbaston come the 20/20 stuff too, packed out. 

Quite right....Football/Cricket puts a dent in any possibility of new fans....

The only way I can see an increase in attendances, is if 'we' merged with Coventry/Cradley and were re-named to suit....

Signing Nick Morris will not put any 'new' bums on seats, or entice any stay away fans....that's not me whinging, or sounding ungrateful...it's a fact!

I don't think the promotion have learnt much about Team management/ building during their first season....

LR needs to step down as TM....great guy....but ???

• Like 1