British Speedway Forum

Birmingham Brummies 2023

*JJ

8 hours ago, SSL84 said:

Maybe you will hear the same story from bham dogs as what been said at wolves,  that the shale on the track as caused more injuries to the dogs. So why is it that bad now? And the track in places is far away to what it was years ago, and they did not moan then like they are now. Just a thought deano?

That was 1 of the problems in the end for Newcastle as I heard 1 of the stadium management showing our former promoter/owner shale on the EDGE of the sheet & a slight bit was on the dog track right underneath the inside rail & for the dogs to get injured off that is probably impossible as they never got that close to the rail but YIP they still weren't happy and probably put another nail in the diamonds coffin SADLY 

21 hours ago, SSL84 said:

Maybe you will hear the same story from bham dogs as what been said at wolves,  that the shale on the track as caused more injuries to the dogs. So why is it that bad now? And the track in places is far away to what it was years ago, and they did not moan then like they are now. Just a thought deano?

To be honest buddy, I fell out of love with speedway years ago. I got fed up with our riders getting injured riding for someone else, leaving us having to use guests or R/R. I came back to the sport after covid to experience it’s now even worse, with everyone pretty much doubling up. I’m just enjoying the Brummies while they are around, if they close I won’t miss speedway. The sport has really lost its spark.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, HGould said:

Mondays and Fridays were historically the race night at the old PB. I have a recollection Wolves used to ride on a Friday in the 70s so we had Mondays?. 

Obviously Monday is out as its PL protected. I think Friday would be out as too many Friday tracks already. 

I'm not convinced Sundays would be that popular to be honest. People commuting to work in the Conurbation and who may go to Villa, Blues or WBA or shopping Saturdays probably not keen on going in to City again on a Sunday. 

Beginning and end of season direct competition with footy and in summer Cricket. 

Lots to do outside the City in more rural surrounds on a summer Sunday too. 

Finally, if an afternoon you have to deal with another whinging sizable minority "the dust merchants". 

Yes, that is correct, Wolves rode on Friday's up until 1980, 1981 was national league which was mainly sundays. We were closed in 1982 and 1983. Re-opened in 1984 and CVS used Monday's citing people now have 'other things to do on Fridays' . Personally, I loved Fridays, have a night out with the weekend still to come.

Dan Thompson signed as injury cover for Nielsen :-

BIRMINGHAM have signed talented teen Dan Thompson as a 28-day injury replacement for Stefan Nielsen.

The 19-year-old joins twin brother Joe in the Curtis Sport Brummies’ line-up – who was also snapped up by the Club earlier this month.

Nielsen crashed in the recent win at Plymouth and suffered a broken foot.

He visited a fracture clinic on Thursday and was told his foot is showing small signs of healing and that no surgery will be required.

However, he is facing, approximately, at least another month on the sidelines, forcing Brummies bosses to make their move.

Former British Youth Champion Dan Thompson is the rider they have turned to – and team manager Laurence Rogers is backing him to make an impact.

“Dan is really, really unfortunate not to have started the season with a team spot in the Championship,” he said.

“It’s only the good old Speedway numbers game that forced him out of teams plans I would say due to the fantastic year he had with Leicester in 2022.

“He’s come such a long way over the past couple of seasons and this is a big opportunity for him.

“It’s a chance for him to come in, hit the ground running and remind everyone just how good he can be at this level - hopefully he can give us a nice little headache!

“Stef is doing okay and the news he got from the fracture clinic on Thursday was probably the best he could have hoped for under the circumstances.

“We had to sign an injury replacement to cover him in the meantime and we, of course, wish Stef a speedy recovery.”

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

So, D.T out for our next 2 matches...guessing no guest facility as he hasn't rode for us yet ? Therefore....suggest we use a guest for James Wright and R/R for D.T.

Isn't it no facility anyway? So revert back to Stefan Nielsen and if been longer than 28 days it is a guest up to 75% of his average. Think that is what happened at Wolves with Becker. 

4 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Isn't it no facility anyway? So revert back to Stefan Nielsen and if been longer than 28 days it is a guest up to 75% of his average. Think that is what happened at Wolves with Becker. 

Correct (ish)  no guest facility only R/R.. 

9 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

9 hours ago, Petecc said:

I thought the "no facility" rule meant you had to use a guest up to 75% of the missing riders average & can't use r/r?

If so they'd be much better reverting back to Nielsen to use r/r than a 3.82 guest for Dan.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

So, D.T out for our next 2 matches...guessing no guest facility as he hasn't rode for us yet ? Therefore....suggest we use a guest for James Wright and R/R for D.T.

18 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

18 hours ago, Petecc said:

18 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Correct...but we can have a guest for James Wright whom is no where near fit/on pace.

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I thought the "no facility" rule meant you had to use a guest up to 75% of the missing riders average & can't use r/r?

If so they'd be much better reverting back to Nielsen to use r/r than a 3.82 guest for Dan.

21 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

They will use a guest for Wright and R/R for Dan....(unless Wright has made a miraculous recovery from his last showing....)

If hardened fans get into a lather about what's going on, how do you explain it to a newcomer to the sport? Or more importantly, how do you expect a newcomer to take it seriously? And you wonder why the likes of Deano, myself and many others who have been long time fans of the sport are fed up with it now?
Anyway, my understanding is - James Wright - he was passed fit 2 weeks ago. Not being "on the pace" is no reason to have a guest or RR for him. Not seen or heard anything to suggest that he's been given another doctors note to say he's unfit again. You either ride him in your team or you sack him and replace him with someone else. As for Dan Thompson, he's not ridden for the team yet, so no facility should apply for him. EXCEPT that there is a "facility-lite" for when "proper" facilities don't apply, so that's a guest up to 75% of his average. But this being speedway of course, the rules are made up as we go along, so basically anything can (and probably will) happen.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

If hardened fans get into a lather about what's going on, how do you explain it to a newcomer to the sport? Or more importantly, how do you expect a newcomer to take it seriously? And you wonder why the likes of Deano, myself and many others who have been long time fans of the sport are fed up with it now?
Anyway, my understanding is - James Wright - he was passed fit 2 weeks ago. Not being "on the pace" is no reason to have a guest or RR for him. Not seen or heard anything to suggest that he's been given another doctors note to say he's unfit again. You either ride him in your team or you sack him and replace him with someone else. As for Dan Thompson, he's not ridden for the team yet, so no facility should apply for him. EXCEPT that there is a "facility-lite" for when "proper" facilities don't apply, so that's a guest up to 75% of his average. But this being speedway of course, the rules are made up as we go along, so basically anything can (and probably will) happen.

Who's wondering ???

Yes, you're quite right about explaining rules etc....(or trying....) But, I don't think a newcomer will give a monkey's about rules/regs, if they haven't seen, or been to a meeting before, then one would assume that they'll revel in the speed/skill of the riders?

As for Wright? I agree, not being on the pace isn't a valid reason for not being fit, but it is definitely a worthy excuse...he could be suffering...we are going to be desperate Friday and next Wednesday, so it would make sense to use the rules to some advantage.....a guest for Wright and R/R for D.T is the only option unless we sign a 'quality' replacement for Wright? Not sure who's out there apart from Mathew Whethers. or Drew Kemp ? I've been critical of the Managers signings/tactics, but He definitely knows the rules/regs and I'm hoping he'll come up with something......