British Speedway Forum

CHAMPIONSHIP PLANS FOR ’23

10 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

Quite blurred ianb?……totally blurred I would say. Agree with your point but they shouldn’t be trying to unblur it by weakening the Championship League and denying us the top riders we’re used to seeing. 

Problem is the Premiership should be stronger, but Premiership clubs can't attract stronger riders. So if you want a distinction between the leagues, the only alternative is to weaken the Championship.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Problem is the Premiership should be stronger, but Premiership clubs can't attract stronger riders. So if you want a distinction between the leagues, the only alternative is to weaken the Championship.

Yes……but totally unfair on Championship fans. All points to the need for one league and I’m sure it could be made to work one way or another. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

IMO that is the problem.1 League slightly weaker to start with would be my solution,but that’s just me.Opinions greatly vary on the subject.The people running the sport are not for change mainly because they don’t want the share any income generated by TV and Media IMO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bojangles said:

If Premiership clubs can't attract stronger riders, what is the point of Polish Speedway relaxing their rider rules?

Prem clubs should increase their team building average up to say 46 points to attract some 'stronger riders' if they can be afforded and leave the Championship well alone at around 40-41 points!

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

If Premiership clubs can't attract stronger riders, what is the point of Polish Speedway relaxing their rider rules?

Prem clubs should increase their team building average up to say 46 points to attract some 'stronger riders' if they can be afforded and leave the Championship well alone at around 40-41 points!

They've relaxed their rules so they can have Thursday nights as back up. They are winning with this deal, not British speedway.

Very few GP or 'stronger' riders will come here as we don't pay enough, or we have too many fixtures. It's not a point limit issue in the Premiership.

Edited by Bojangles

2 hours ago, Bojangles said:

The Rising Star system, in my eyes, was there to bring on the younger, less experienced riders who should have moved up from the NDL & those with limited experience(less than 3 years in CL).

Rising Stars should NOT be in the Premiership. The lowest level of rider in the Premiership should have a Premiership average of not less than 4 even if converted Championship. This keeps the Premiership at a respected level of riders from 1-7. 

4 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

The Rising Star system, in my eyes, was there to bring on the younger, less experienced riders who should have moved up from the NDL & those with limited experience(less than 3 years in CL).

Rising Stars should NOT be in the Premiership. The lowest level of rider in the Premiership should have a Premiership average of not less than 4 even if converted Championship. This keeps the Premiership at a respected level of riders from 1-7. 

Most of their Ideas fall by the wayside as they are Ill though out.Why keep making plans and not sticking to them ,again self interest from some.

5 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

They've relaxed their rules so they can have Thursday nights as back up. They are winning with this deal, not British speedway.

Very few GP or 'stronger' riders will come here as we don't pay enough, or we have too many fixtures. It's not a point limit issue in the Premiership.

Surely they can get holder, rasser, klindt, Nilsson, ljung, Thomsen? Not the top level guys but at least an upgrade on what's been the last few seasons. Bewley and Lambert maybe? Nikki P? As it stands Britain going to be a breeding ground for Poland or a retirement home for those can't cut it there anymore

1 minute ago, Jaizer said:

Surely they can get holder, rasser, klindt, Nilsson, ljung, Thomsen? Not the top level guys but at least an upgrade on what's been the last few seasons. Bewley and Lambert maybe? Nikki P? As it stands Britain going to be a breeding ground for Poland or a retirement home for those can't cut it there anymore

Time will tell I guess. But it's a big gamble to raise the Premiership points limit, when they can just lower the Championship's. Not saying I agree with this by the way, but trying to look at the bigger picture.

18 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

They already have & had back up weeks for many years so maybe they are after something else that we do not know about yet.

This is something we should do in all leagues. Even in English Football, when teams are involved in Cup competitions at weekends, they have to play their cancelled fixture within 2 weeks of the original date.

Edited by IronScorpion

8 hours ago, Trees said:

With all due respect I think they are attractions in the Championship BIG TIME, they're number ones!

I cant imagine as good as they are people are rushing to see Masters, Douglas, King etc… theres no way there presence moves the needle 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

Agree years ago it was champ riders at reserve in prem or there abouts not heatleaders in both, there was a clear difference between the leagues back then 

Edited by mc131
  • Like 4

You cannot afford to run the Premiership at too much more of a level than it is now ran at I would suspect...

Therefore, running the 2nd Division (also the middle tier), at a lower level is the obvious way forward...

It gives clear demarcation between leagues first and foremost, which is important in selling "the brand"..

And It provides a more realistic bridge between the NDL and the top league, which should benefit younger riders, and also maybe attract more teams up from the NDL into it, (Mildenhall, Kent, Workington?)..

And if some more "top riders" come over, and ride in the top tier, that will take spaces of current DU's, so the 2nd tier will have plenty of "decent talent" still within it..

Especially given seven Leicester riders will also be available...

It could mean that, for once, supply will exceed demand in the 2nd Divsion, which can only be good for cost control as well as having spare riders to cover injuries rather than using guests...

Which can only be a great thing for the sport..

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mikebv said:

You cannot afford to run the Premiership at too much more of a level than it is now ran at I would suspect...

Therefore, running the 2nd Division (also the middle tier), at a lower level is the obvious way forward...

It gives clear demarcation between leagues first and foremost, which is important in selling "the brand"..

And It provides a more realistic bridge between the NDL and the top league, which should benefit younger riders, and also maybe attract more teams up from the NDL into it, (Mildenhall, Kent, Workington?)..

And if some more "top riders" come over, and ride in the top tier, that will take spaces of current DU's, so the 2nd tier will have plenty of "decent talent" still within it..

It could mean that, for once, supply will exceed demand in the 2nd Divsion, which can only be good for cost control as well as having spare riders to cover injuries rather than using guests...

Two questions…….1. Selling “the brand” to whom?     2. Do you think the present double uppers are going to be happy being pushed out of their lucrative positions in the Premier League?……not to mention the double downers. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Should have happened about 4 years ago really, so although I agree with what you've said, will it happen now? I was lucky to see the NL with Eastie between 2015/18, and once you got it in your head we'd dropped from the old proper Elite league the racing was really good. Saw Adam Ellis, Ellis Perks, Tom Brennen etc, all coming up through, even a young Dan Bewley once, what happened to him I wonder... May have been lucky but a league level slightly higher than that level I'm sure would eventually work. Just need to convince the clubs and diehards.

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1