British Speedway Forum

CHAMPIONSHIP PLANS FOR ’23

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2022 at 9:44 AM, ray c said:

same  old nonsense from bspa very disappointed could be a lot of blank weds when the sun is shining:t:

Nothing to do with the BSP Ltd(A), it was an AGM of ALL the promoters who ALL had a say to the goings on.

For Danny Ford to make a statement to his local press & published Monday, then to change it at the AGM the very next day makes you wonder what was said at the previous monthly meetings at Rugby.

• Like 1

From another website

It seems certain that guys who ride solely in the Premiership (Doyle, Kurtz, Holder etc) wouldn't be interested in this new set up. So essentially we have all the riders in the Championship, probably around 80, to fill out 16 teams - 5 per team at a bit of a stretch. Would an NL rider be drafted in at number six?
This would be a huge watering down of team strengths. Essentially 10 teams @ 42 shared among 16 teams (10 x 42 ÷16 = 27) add in an NL reserve at 2.00 and you still don't come to 30. 

1 minute ago, IronScorpion said:

Nothing to do with the BSP Ltd(A), it was an AGM of ALL the promoters who ALL had a say to the goings on.

For Danny Ford to make a statement to his local press & published Monday, then to change it at the AGM the very next day makes you wonder what was said at the previous monthly meetings at Rugby.

It doesn't really matter "what was said." It's what was agreed at the AGM that counts, although I know where you're coming from.

I might "pop along" to Redcar occasionally in 2023 (when finances allow and dependent on the opposition) or maybe Berwick (although the racing isn't as good), but I am kind of glad I haven't got a team to "support" (nearly) every week.  All my enthusiasm for the sport dwindles every year and this year even more so, since the Diamonds shut.

• Sad 1

I'm extremely disappointed that the Championship have done a U-turn with the 2 home 2 away league fixtures.

This was going to give @ least 16 meaningful home meetings throughout the leagues 9 teams. The top of the league could (& should) be declared league champions! Any other fixtures, Micky Mouse or purposeful could be run @ the end of the season. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, StevePark said:

It doesn't really matter "what was said." It's what was agreed at the AGM that counts, although I know where you're coming from.

I might "pop along" to Redcar occasionally in 2023 (when finances allow and dependent on the opposition) or maybe Berwick (although the racing isn't as good), but I am kind of glad I haven't got a team to "support" (nearly) every week.  All my enthusiasm for the sport dwindles every year and this year even more so, since the Diamonds shut.

The NDL racing at Berwick seemed pretty good when I went this year. The Championship racing was better than before, but still very processional.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Albert said:

We need to encourage Mildenhall and Kent to join the Championship. I'm sure Workington will make the jump once they've re-established themselves again. Scrap the NDL. Can always invent a proper, meaningful second half event for NDL standard riders. Just my opinion, don't shoot me. 

Look back Albert & what did we do in 2005? We re-established ourselves! Yes, Workington have shown their intent to run in 2023 & hopefully beyond but what of other clubs?

What will Eastbourne, Edinburgh, Isle Of Wight, Peterborough do when/if they return. Also, the likes of Exeter, Cradley, Rye House could return & the possibility of clubs, already in the league, running junior teams.

Rules & Regulations & the set up of Leagues/ teams change every year, some good some bad but we have to accept it.

2 hours ago, Beirao said:

Not enough riders for one league plus NDL.

Fortnightly only works with a fixed racenight, like in Sweden. In the Championship, it's not fortnightly, it's 6 meetings  in eight weeks, 1 I   four, 4 in fiive , then 1 in about six. 

Sweden ran this year on Tuesdays(2 meetings) & Thursdays(1 meeting). Reverting back to Tuesdays only in 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

They used to be indecisive now they are not so sure.!!

Not just promoters but riders, possibly, although the rumour is from TTT in the prem section saying Basso doing Premiership. Is he doing both or changed his mind about doing Championship.

Edited by IronScorpion

6 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Not just promoters but riders, possibly, although the rumour is from TTT in the prem section saying Basso doing Premiership. Is he doing both or changed his mind about doing Championship.

I think the reduction in Championship meetings has made him rethink his Premiership commitment.

10 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

He'll ride for Glasgow too.

We've got a new owner who's allocated a budget on par with Belle Vue so Mr. Tomalin has probably offered Ben a better deal than Buster did.

I can not find the comments as I just went on reading the last few(5) posts in the RHS section on main forum page by lisa but as she says it is from TTT. He is on my ignore list but have just read his last few posts & one is edited(possible name change re Tungate)

8 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

I can not find the comments as I just went on reading the last few(5) posts in the RHS section on main forum page by lisa but as she says it is from TTT. He is on my ignore list but have just read his last few posts & one is edited(possible name change re Tungate)

Yeah he definitely said it as I questioned him about it yesterday. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Look back Albert & what did we do in 2005? We re-established ourselves! Yes, Workington have shown their intent to run in 2023 & hopefully beyond but what of other clubs?

What will Eastbourne, Edinburgh, Isle Of Wight, Peterborough do when/if they return. Also, the likes of Exeter, Cradley, Rye House could return & the possibility of clubs, already in the league, running junior teams.

Rules & Regulations & the set up of Leagues/ teams change every year, some good some bad but we have to accept it.

I get what your saying,  it was the right thing to do then..  look back to 2005.. 10 Elite League Teams. 15 Premier League Teams. 12 Conference League Teams.  A meaningful set of fixtures for all. Speedway wasn't on it's arse like it is now.

On 11/17/2022 at 4:45 PM, Albert said:

We need to encourage Mildenhall and Kent to join the Championship. I'm sure Workington will make the jump ...

That's 21 more riders that you'll need....

3 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

...Eastbourne, Edinburgh, Isle Of Wight, Peterborough ...

That's 14 more riders needed in addition to those in current teams...

3 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

...Also, the likes of Exeter, Cradley, Rye House could return & the possibility of clubs, already in the league, running junior teams.

Now we're getting into fantasy land.  If you look at a previous post of mine, I counted up only 104 riders registered in the UK spanning all 3 current leagues...

On 10/11/2022 at 8:39 PM, uk_martin said:

The reason I asked was because if you have one big league, you can't have doubling/trebling up/down. It'll be one rider - one team. And as I pointed out before, (HERE) at the time I did my count, there were only 111 (I counted one rider twice) riders registered to all 3 leagues who can pledge priority to British Speedway. That included the likes of Edward Kennett, Josh Auty, Ben Barker, Adam Roynon, Aaron Summers James Wright and Lee Complin, whose continuance is by no means guaranteed into next year. So, in reality, you may only have as few as 104 riders. And that's it. Do the maths, that's only enough for 14 teams, plus a few rattling around in case someone gets injured.

Where do the other riders come from? Poland, Sweden & Denmark, where they give first priority to their own leagues, so that we can have more Claus Vissing type situations?

Will the BSPZzz pull out a classic party trick like allowing teams to be made up of 5 contracted riders and two guests? That might allow the number of teams to be increased to 20 and be no worse off, guest rider wise, than most of the Birmngham Brummies fixtures of last season.

Who will the lucky 14 teams be? Who do you leave out of your one big league? And if your one big league is made up of 14 teams, there will be no National League. The speedway toddlers will be in the same teams as the ageing former GP riders. Suck that one up.  And I'd be dying to know where those romantics who talk about bringing speedway back to places like Eastbourne, Bradford, Coventry, Workington etc think they are going to find their riders from.

Where are the 35 extra riders coming from to make up the proposed Mildenhall, Kent, Eastbourne & IOW teams, let alone the wet dreams of Cradley, Rye House etc returning to the sport.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 11:25 PM, Pirates Of Poole said:

Only thing I don’t understand, why don’t he promoters keep the 42.00 current limit? With Leicester going up the likes of Morris, Howarth and Worrall become available and all 3 can’t go to Birmingham to strengthen them? So we have top riders available which could miss out on a champ place due to a low points limit? 

I really don’t see why they have to keep lowering the points limit.Riders are watching their averages most seasons now.It means lesser riders can increase their earnings,being more sought after.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I'm extremely disappointed that the Championship have done a U-turn with the 2 home 2 away league fixtures.

This was going to give @ least 16 meaningful home meetings throughout the leagues 9 teams. The top of the league could (& should) be declared league champions! Any other fixtures, Micky Mouse or purposeful could be run @ the end of the season. 

That was never going to happen. Even when they were planning 32 league fixtures, the play-offs were always going to stay!