British Speedway Forum

CHAMPIONSHIP PLANS FOR ’23

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

Scunthorpe for example don’t have national league side could get knocked out first round of the KO cup not qualify out the group of the league cup and could be finished all their home matches by the end of June/middle of July. How is that viable for a clubs.

They haven’t any idea what they are doing again ,some Clubs seem to  get what THEY want.That’s Speedway though.Just fumbling on.

Edited by Fromafar

I think that with the economic pressures on everyone, a minimum home meeting schedule of 12 (in Poole's case) is more than acceptable.

Of course if progress is made to the play-offs (top 6 again; out of 9 this time) as well as the KO Cup and Trophy meetings then it looks good.

Start at Easter with some sort of Bank Holiday Trophy meeting or similar then 4 months (allowing for any rain-offs)to get the competitive meetings in before the cut-off.

Perfectly sensible planning imo.:t:

5 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I'm not sure why people think it'll be such a short season. For most clubs it's only one less home match, given the play-offs didn't get completed till November, I don't understand how any promoter thought they could fit in 2 home & 2 away (unless they got rid of the play-offs).

Surely could have done away with the other Mickey Mouse early season competition and just ran with the league and the K.O cup. We used to manage far more regular weekly fixtures in years gone by. 

• Like 1

Like the idea of getting back to a better points system and happy to see the aggregate bonus point back. The U-turn on the amount of home meetings for each club should be a concern as this is bound to mean many blank dates especially for those tracks with only one team. 

Disappointed that the Fours have been overlooked again, these were usually very well attended meetings for the northern clubs.

Edited by screm

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

I didn't think it was that bad lol. Maybe I just been going for too long now! 

Edit - I wonder if some riders will do aboard now and not do Champ with less meetings?

That is a very good point Lisa.

All very well for clubs who get to the latter stages of all competitions but for others not great at all. Could widen the gap between the haves and have nots which wouldn't be good.

Bit of a speedway shambles announcing two home and away then changing it. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Bandit59 said:

Well said agree with you on all the above 

I was led to believe Berwick were one of the Clubs and Oxford. 

The reason was their commitment to young riders and the NDL. They'd have lost too much on double headers and in Oxford's case need to run Wednesdays. 

The other Club wanted fewer meetings to try to reduce losses although they'd still have to pay full rent. So more rent per meeting but likely better crowds over 11 matches than more than 17. It shocked me that the club named was Brummies but having thought about it I can understand the logic of trying to have break even over fewer matches. 

My source is a Brummie fan/helper usually in the know. 

1 minute ago, Bagpuss said:

That is a very good point Lisa.

All very well for clubs who get to the latter stages of all competitions but for others not great at all. Could widen the gap between the haves and have nots which wouldn't be good.

Bit of a speedway shambles announcing two home and away then changing it. 

Clearly the 'rubber stamp' ran out of ink so couldn't be ratified.:party:

13 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I think that with the economic pressures on everyone, a minimum home meeting schedule of 12 (in Poole's case) is more than acceptable.

Of course if progress is made to the play-offs (top 6 again; out of 9 this time) as well as the KO Cup and Trophy meetings then it looks good.

Start at Easter with some sort of Bank Holiday Trophy meeting or similar then 4 months (allowing for any rain-offs)to get the competitive meetings in before the cut-off.

Perfectly sensible planning imo.:t:

1 minute ago, Skidder1 said:

Clearly the 'rubber stamp' ran out of ink so couldn't be ratified.:party:

If ever two posts said 'Poole are OK, idiot everyone else' then there they are.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, HGould said:

The reason was their commitment to young riders and the NDL. They'd have lost too much on double headers and in Oxford's case need to run Wednesdays. 

The other Club wanted fewer meetings to try to reduce losses although they'd still have to pay full rent. So more rent per meeting but likely better crowds over 11 matches than more than 17. It shocked me that the club named was Brummies but having thought about it I can understand the logic of trying to have break even over fewer matches. 

4 minutes ago, HGould said:

So you're saying Berwick lose more on double headers than a stand alone NDL match I personally find that hard to believe 2 or 3 of the people I stand with do the do the double headers not the stand alone ones myself included as we have round trips in excess of 100 miles.

1 minute ago, Bandit59 said:

So you're saying Berwick lose more on double headers than a stand alone NDL match I personally find that hard to believe 2 or 3 of the people I stand with do the do the double headers not the stand alone ones myself included as we have round trips in excess of 100 miles.

I've no idea. I'm only telling you what I was told. 

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

Scunthorpe for example don’t have national league side could get knocked out first round of the KO cup not qualify out the group of the league cup and could be finished all their home matches by the end of June/middle of July. How is that viable for a clubs.

It’s hard to get your head round what really goes on at these meetings they have,they agree 1 thing in principle then scrap it when they all get together.Does that just mean throughout the season not ALL club are part of the meetings.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bandit59 said:

I’m the other way round,don’t like double headers I’m afraid.

56 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I'm not sure why people think it'll be such a short season. For most clubs it's only one less home match, given the play-offs didn't get completed till November, I don't understand how any promoter thought they could fit in 2 home & 2 away (unless they got rid of the play-offs).

But the league programme for most clubs were done by mid-end of August. It then took over 2 months to complete 5 pay off ties

• Like 2

You've got to laugh at the KO cup draw. Plymouth v Poole again. As if that wasn't pre-agreed.

This sport is an utter joke to be honest and I feel for supporters who genuinely care about their clubs. A reduction in the points limit, a reduction in home meaningful matches and the saviour being the aggregate bonus point. Seriously!!??

Year after year the useless powers at be avoid the key issues and they continue to dodge the elephant in the room that is; the sport is dying in this country and radical changes need to be made. 

• Like 5