British Speedway Forum

CHAMPIONSHIP PLANS FOR ’23

12 hours ago, Fromafar said:

That’s the problem.Unfortunately a lot of “ idiots”do not attend anymore and we can’t seem to attract anyone to replace them.!!!

Who are the idiots though, those who see modern day speedway as a bit of a joke and have walked away to spend time and money on other things rather than speedway or people like me and others who continue to spend money and be happy to be watching any old rubbish.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

No because most of the idiots who do critical posts on here don't attend anymore just hark on about the old days when everything was so much better . Upright engines ,13 heats ,wooden fences ,open face helmets with monkey masks , Castrol r, open silencers, 

I resemble that remark????

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, screm said:

Who are the idiots though, those who see modern day speedway as a bit of a joke and have walked away to spend time and money on other things rather than speedway or people like me and others who continue to spend money and be happy to be watching any old rubbish.

That’s a good question.I’m starting to question myself on that one.

If we are looking at changes, I'd like to see the Championship revert to the old race format which used to be used to be three pairings and only one reserve. This was over 16 heats, but could easily be modified to 14 heats, doing away with the nominated race, and giving the three heat leaders 5 rides each and the three second strings four each. The reserve would only have two scheduled rides, and I do think that promoters would be much more inclined to persevere with a young reserve if his two rides were not making the kind of unfair impact on results that they do now.

I agree that two rides only, is a bit hard on the reserves, but if all tracks took on an eighth rider and staged one second half race in which each team's numbers 7 and 8 took part, and if the 7's  and 8's were interchangeable at the team managers' discretion, this would give the opportunity for the number 8 to gain a place in the team and also give a number 7 who has lost his team place, a fair chance of getting it back.

If for financial reasons, a number 8 couldn't afford to travel to a distant away track for just one ride, then the staging club should be able to recruit another local junior to fill his place.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Brian Buck said:

If we are looking at changes, I'd like to see the Championship revert to the old race format which used to be used to be three pairings and only one reserve. This was over 16 heats, but could easily be modified to 14 heats, doing away with the nominated race, and giving the three heat leaders 5 rides each and the three second strings four each. The reserve would only have two scheduled rides, and I do think that promoters would be much more inclined to persevere with a young reserve if his two rides were not making the kind of unfair impact on results that they do now.

I agree that two rides only, is a bit hard on the reserves, but if all tracks took on an eighth rider and staged one second half race in which each team's numbers 7 and 8 took part, and if the 7's  and 8's were interchangeable at the team managers' discretion, this would give the opportunity for the number 8 to gain a place in the team and also give a number 7 who has lost his team place, a fair chance of getting it back.

If for financial reasons, a number 8 couldn't afford to travel to a distant away track for just one ride, then the staging club should be able to recruit another local junior to fill his place.

Never going to happen and probably for the best cause we’re not in the 70/80s anymore.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

It's got nothing to do with wanting to return to the 70s and 80s. We need to downgrade the importance of the reserve, whether in the way suggested or some other way, so that he gets replaced by your number eight and not a guest from another team, without seriously weakening your team.

• Like 1

How about six riders in the main body get four programmed rides, one reserve gets two which gives 13 heats, plus one nominated riders heat making fourteen for the league meeting BUT with two second half races featuring both reserves and home team juniors - so reserves get four rides in total. This establishes a path for number eights and nines to get into the team and they woukd be used to replace an absent reserve. 

So they announce 2 home and away then 2 weeks later decide they can't fit it in so we're back to 1 home and away plus the old premier trophy. 

And now we're given the stupid super heat. If the meeting is a draw it's a draw. We're not American that we can't handle the concept of a draw. Yes fine if level after 2 legs for the bonus point but otherwise just a nonsense 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1