British Speedway Forum

CHAMPIONSHIP PLANS FOR ’23

41 minutes ago, ch958 said:

I like the continental way - graded riders a,b,c,d

whatever system is used the rich glory crazed clubs will chuck money at it

Who are the “rich glory crazed clubs” that “will chuck money at it” in your view? I can only think of one for sure in each league.

24 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Who are the “rich glory crazed clubs” that “will chuck money at it” in your view? I can only think of one for sure in each league.

I can think of 2 one splashes the cash and has an empty trophy cabinet, the other has a full cabinet !!

2 hours ago, iainb said:

I can see why they think twice home and away will extend the league programme beyond mid July/August... but they couldn't complete once home and away and 5 play off ties in one of the driest summer's on record... only in Speedway would they think this is the solution. The ONLY way it is going to work is of they get away from this ridiculous idea that rained off meetings HAVE to be restaged, they don't in Cricket, they shouldn't in Speedway

Four issues with that, 1) season ticket holders lose out of matches not restaged. 2) how do they work out the match result, clubs could cancel meetings / say track it too dangerous depending on opposition, 3) riders miss out on matches & lose money, 4) clubs like Birmingham have to race so many fixtures in rent agreement

25 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

I'm not getting involved it that discussion but I would say there's more than 1 in each league

32 meetings + potentially another 4 for the playoffs + whatever else they come up with.

That's not even considering those who have NL clubs.

In a country that couldn't finish a season until November 4th (not including the Jubilee Trophy). If it was the first time then you'd give BSPL a pass for being optimistic and ambitious. Seeing as it isn't, they're just plain stupid.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Four issues with that, 1) season ticket holders lose out of matches not restaged. 2) how do they work out the match result, clubs could cancel meetings / say track it too dangerous depending on opposition, 3) riders miss out on matches & lose money, 4) clubs like Birmingham have to race so many fixtures in rent agreement

1) Not really an issue, refund ticket holders, offer transfer to next year or even structure the season ticket in a different way, maybe  membership that gets you discounts etc... Cricket must have a similar issue, how do they model their season tickets?

2) 1 point each, only a Referee can call a match off while they are in attendance any call off prior is done by the SCB.

3) Riders and clubs will be more willing to get matches on

4) They run filler fixtures after the League programme to fulfil any obligations, the League must not be held up because of 1 club

2 hours ago, Neila said:

I can think of 2 one splashes the cash and has an empty trophy cabinet, the other has a full cabinet !!

if you're thinking Poole as one of them, i don't think they splash the cash, riders go there because they know they're guaranteed to get paid

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Neila said:

Like Workington did in 2018 you mean.

It is well-documented that what was paid to riders that season went a long way in ensuring that they couldn't sustain it.

And the bottom line it's their cash so from that respect if they want to splash it as you put it then what's the problem? Seems a few from Cumbria can't get their heads around that.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Poole are not the highest payers. But they pay, and riders know they are in with a shout of a title. Richard Lawson said last night that was the first trophy he had won in his career and it means a lot to him. Imagine going through a whole career but no trophies to show for it?

Nearly all riders in their career win very little individually. A very few win the odd title. An even smaller amount win a national title and we are in to thin air with world championships. To win a club title is very important to most riders, and they know if they are lucky enough to join a club like Poole they are in with a chance of just that. For riders like Kemp, Ablitt, it has come early in their careers but might not happen again. When they retire they can look back and remember they were part of that team. Poole don’t pay a guarantee. They do pay riders points money which is affordable to the club.

As for some on here saying the playoffs sg]hould be scrapped and it should just be top of the league is champs, imagine if Poole next year went through the card and the title ws decided in late June. We would have clubs putting out weakened teams at away meetings to save money, robbing the public, because the club have no chance of catching the runaway winners. The playoffs have been going strong for 20 years and will not be dispatched with. They bring in huge crowds, keep the league alive and keep the fans interested. And I for one love them. As do many others.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Like Workington did in 2018 you mean.

It is well-documented that what was paid to riders that season went a long way in ensuring that they couldn't sustain it.

And the bottom line it's their cash so from that respect if they want to splash it as you put it then what's the problem? Seems a few from Cumbria can't get their heads around that.

It was also well documented that some of them never got what they were promised.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Poole are not the highest payers. But they pay, and riders know they are in with a shout of a title. Richard Lawson said last night that was the first trophy he had won in his career and it means a lot to him. Imagine going through a whole career but no trophies to show for it?

Nearly all riders in their career win very little individually. A very few win the odd title. An even smaller amount win a national title and we are in to thin air with world championships. To win a club title is very important to most riders, and they know if they are lucky enough to join a club like Poole they are in with a chance of just that. For riders like Kemp, Ablitt, it has come early in their careers but might not happen again. When they retire they can look back and remember they were part of that team. Poole don’t pay a guarantee. They do pay riders points money which is affordable to the club.

As for some on here saying the playoffs sg]hould be scrapped and it should just be top of the league is champs, imagine if Poole next year went through the card and the title ws decided in late June. We would have clubs putting out weakened teams at away meetings to save money, robbing the public, because the club have no chance of catching the runaway winners. The playoffs have been going strong for 20 years and will not be dispatched with. They bring in huge crowds, keep the league alive and keep the fans interested. And I for one love them. As do many others.

Richard won the KO Cup with Glasgow in 2016