British Speedway Forum

Workington 2023

9 hours ago, Neila said:

League meeting on Tuesday then local management meeting, so some news maybe released late on next week 

Other way round... club management committee meeting Friday then League meeting

6 hours ago, proud panther said:

Be interesting to see what other teams are running in the National League next season.

It sure will and the more the merrier for me... 

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1

Brilliant to see the Comets back (always one of my favourite places to visit) and plan is for a couple of trips up next season (my local RL club Siddal have away matches at Kells (Whitehaven) and Wath Brow Hornets (Cleator Moor) so with a bit of luck I'll be able to do both on the same day). 

Had a bit of a look at the track a few weeks ago and it looks first class. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards 

THJ 

I'm a bit worried we might lose a couple of the teams that have senior teams, like Plymouth. Shame the IOW can't be persuaded to come back.

2 hours ago, proud panther said:

I'm a bit worried we might lose a couple of the teams that have senior teams, like Plymouth. Shame the IOW can't be persuaded to come back.

Love IOW but they are having a great time doing their own thing. I think most teams have already declared an intention to run either via announcement or actions. Belle Vue are the only side ive neither seen or heard any confirmation of running but they are usually committed so fingers crossed for a 9 team league.

• Like 2

So here's a question then...

If it does end up with a 9 team league that will give 8 home and 8 away fixtures in a season of about 28 weekends... 

Should these teams play each other twice to fill out the season or is that asking to much? 

16 home meetings? A cup? A challenge meeting? Then depending on how sucessfull you are 2 more for the cup and the same for a  play-off so potentially a max of 22 home meetings?

Or play once in the league and run a max of 14 meetings?

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, proud panther said:

I'm a bit worried we might lose a couple of the teams that have senior teams

Rumour I heard (the day before PL & CL AGM) was that Workington, Belle Vue, Leicester, Oxford and Kent were definitely in for 2023.

Armadale were going to drop out.  Berwick and Plymouth also thinking of dropping out due to CL being 2 home & 2 away.  (So presume they'r back on board now that CL is only 1 home & 1 away?).

Mildenhall hadn't decided, (but they wouldn't be present at PL & CL AGM anyway, and surely they'll be in for NDL)?

Edited by PotteringAround
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

So here's a question then...

If it does end up with a 9 team league that will give 8 home and 8 away fixtures in a season of about 28 weekends... 

Should these teams play each other twice to fill out the season or is that asking to much? 

16 home meetings? A cup? A challenge meeting? Then depending on how sucessfull you are 2 more for the cup and the same for a  play-off so potentially a max of 22 home meetings?

Or play once in the league and run a max of 14 meetings?

Regards 

THJ 

I think alot might depend on the other clubs running 2 teams wanting it. Leicester and Belle Vue for example would also have 12 PL home meetings, plus 2/3 KO Cup potentially. That would leave them with a mighty 30+ Home meetings including the NL ones (2 x Home).

Oxford, Berwick, Edinburgh, Plymouth would also have similar issues, as the creation of this new Group comp. + KO Cup includes extra meetings. So they could also be hitting 30+ Home meetings with NL x2 at Home.  This would be without any double headers taking places of course, not too sure how common they are now?

On the other hand for us, Kent and Mildenhall, the summer would be very light on meetings if there are only 7/8 Home league meetings. For the Comets, this might mean filing the season up with Challenge meetings or others.  For the new venture to be very successful, I think we would need regular weekly meetings (to an extent). 

Going 5 or 6 weeks without a Home meeting for example, which i've seen at some clubs this year, wouldn't be great.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Marksman said:

I think alot might depend on the other clubs running 2 teams wanting it. Leicester and Belle Vue for example would also have 12 PL home meetings, plus 2/3 KO Cup potentially. That would leave them with a mighty 30+ Home meetings including the NL ones (2 x Home).

Oxford, Berwick, Edinburgh, Plymouth would also have similar issues, as the creation of this new Group comp. + KO Cup includes extra meetings. So they could also be hitting 30+ Home meetings with NL x2 at Home.  This would be without any double headers taking places of course, not too sure how common they are now?

On the other hand for us, Kent and Mildenhall, the summer would be very light on meetings if there are only 7/8 Home league meetings. For the Comets, this might mean filing the season up with Challenge meetings or others.  For the new venture to be very successful, I think we would need regular weekly meetings (to an extent). 

Going 5 or 6 weeks without a Home meeting for example, which i've seen at some clubs this year, wouldn't be great.

Pretty much nailed it. With clubs running in two divisions double home fixtures just simply is too many meetings (especially the successful teams) but it does leave the standalone sides a little exposed. Kent i believe have planning for two league fixtures a month and Mildenhall have to juggle other events at the Stadium so with an April start inc K.O cup all fixtures could and should easily be completed by the end of August ready for sensible play offs in September. 

• Like 2

Can't see it been 2 home 2 away due to only 3 standalone teams personally wouldn't mind seeing 1 home 1 away , knockout cup and potentially a mini tournament with the 3 standalone clubs plus the IOW giving about 15 home and away meetings. The junior riders need to be busy to progress riding potentially 3 times in a week then not again for a month don't help them 

46 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Can't see it been 2 home 2 away due to only 3 standalone teams personally wouldn't mind seeing 1 home 1 away , knockout cup and potentially a mini tournament with the 3 standalone clubs plus the IOW giving about 15 home and away meetings. The junior riders need to be busy to progress riding potentially 3 times in a week then not again for a month don't help them 

Will definitely be 1 meeting every 3 weeks or so again which is no good at all 

Sometimes less is more, so around 14 meetings with a cup run and a possibility of play offs, may fit the bill especially in the financial climate as it is !!! A lot of people would love to go to speedway every week but IMO a meeting every 2 weeks could work, less meetings but maybe more people attending, then have some open meetings, with star names (if allowed to ride ) am sure a certain maryport resident would love to have a competitive blast around the Northside areana , and it's not THJ :D

• Haha 2

If there are 9 teams running can only see the league being 1 home & 1 away, clubs who double up couldn't fit in much more.

Hopefully Kent, Mildenhall & Workington also race a "National Trophy" mini league between them for extra matches. Pairs, Fours & Riders Chamo could also be raced at the 3 standalone tracks for an extra match, us of course a KOC for everyone who wants to enter.

Be good if Workington, Glasgow, Edinburgh & Berwick put on a Northern Fours event, one leg at each track?

• Like 1

Been told 7 are certain to start

Belle Vue

Leicester

Berwick

Edinburgh (Armadale)

Oxford

Kent

Workington

-------

Plymouth unlikely to run dus to rider availability issues (may consider alternative night to Tuesday)

Mildenhall (serious misgivings after some issues last season with Track / Weather / late Call Off's affecting Crowds and viability)

Would seem that Mildenhall + Plymouth will make final commitment at Meeting early next week.

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Been told 7 are certain to start

Belle Vue

Leicester

Berwick

Edinburgh (Armadale)

Oxford

Kent

Workington

-------

Plymouth unlikely to run dus to rider availability issues (may consider alternative night to Tuesday)

Mildenhall (serious misgivings after some issues last season with Track / Weather / late Call Off's affecting Crowds and viability)

Would seem that Mildenhall + Plymouth will make final commitment at Meeting early next week.

I hope if Mildenhall are planning to pack it in, they would announce it early enough to allow another promoter to come in & run it?

3 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

Id love to see a big individual meeting to start, with ex comets and Cumbria locals

Cookie being the big name, Kyle Bickley etc... I'd support such meeting and would attend also if its on a saturday

Team event alot better for first meeting indivdual's are for later in season.

On 11/23/2022 at 10:18 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards 

THJ 

Any news for the masses come out of the management meeting