British Speedway Forum

Workington 2023

21 hours ago, PowerfulPierre said:

Planning on travelling up on Saturday and I'm reading a number of comments about the track being very dusty (we have the same problem on a hot and breezy day)!  Where's the best place to stand so that I'm not wearing half of your shale on my way home?

Saturday's meeting against Mildenhall was a bit unusual re wind direction. The meeting started with a fairly stiff north westerly wind with any dust blowing from that direction then partbway through the meeting it switched round to a south westerly and blew any dust the other way .

By the time the British Junior Championship got underway on Sunday the wind direction was back to north westerly. To be fair dust levels were fairly minimal on Sunday.

Looking forward to another close meeting especially after watching Ashton Boughen tear round the track in the British U21's and Junior 500 class recently. Sure Steve Lawson will try everything that is within his control to minimise dust levels . It hasn't rained in Worky since i came back from holiday on 29th April which is unusual in itself.

• Like 3

Think any track would struggle to be dust free, been no rain in worky since end of April, always been a breeze which drys things up fast, can only put so much water down at a time without it being a swamp, only the man up in the sky can water the best, same as your plants in the garden, you can water them, but when it rains on them, they seam to bloom better

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, magnus said:

It appears there's live music on after Saturdays meeting. Does anyone have any information and is this open to supporters?

Taken off Facebook:

THIS Saturday (June 10th) the Workington GT Tyres Comets are racing against current League, Knockout Cup and Pairs Champions - the Leicester Lion Cubs at 3.00pm!
FOLLOWED BY... Live music in the Marquee by the Mama Sang Blues Band 
The Comets are aiming to bounce back from last week, but will be without Elliot Kelly due to concussion.
Come and cheer on the boys, it really does matter! 
Saturday, June 10th
Tapes up 3.00pm
Gates open at 12.30pm
The Park and Ride bus service will not be available this weekend due to lack of interest.

Popped up (if that is the right expression) on the 8:20 train from London for the recent Leicester meeting and although the track wasn't great due to the drought like conditions it was an enjoyable meeting. I have to say the stadium should be the blueprint for any future development, on old industrial land,  simple yet functional stadium with great viewing from anywhere. I hope over time they build a ticket office, maybe a bar and better toilets but everything was more than good enough. Also special mention to the home & away fans who made an old bird from London feel very welcome. 

• Like 2

As a first time visitor to the new Workington I struggled to find anything to be negative about. The layout is GREAT , elevated viewing for all spectators, a couple of seated stands , plenty of space and more than acceptable facilities for a brand new track although my wife would suggest the toilets need to be the next area for improvement.

As I was ‘ involved ‘ in the after match racing I can say that the pits are enormous, plenty of room not just for the main teams but second halfers / juniors too.

The staff were all keen, enthusiastic and very welcoming , from the security man at the main gate right through to the BBQ staff afterwards , although they were very overworked !

Good atmosphere and good crowd helped by sensible pricing , brilliant weather, yes, a little dusty but it’s SPEEDWAY after all.

I highly recommend a visit and I will be going again. Massive congratulations to Mr. Bain, Lawson and ALL the volunteers who made this happen.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 12:54 PM, SJA said:

Popped up (if that is the right expression) on the 8:20 train from London for the recent Leicester meeting and although the track wasn't great due to the drought like conditions it was an enjoyable meeting. I have to say the stadium should be the blueprint for any future development, on old industrial land,  simple yet functional stadium with great viewing from anywhere. I hope over time they build a ticket office, maybe a bar and better toilets but everything was more than good enough. Also special mention to the home & away fans who made an old bird from London feel very welcome. 

Wow great of you to do that and thank you for views. I'm pretty sure the team have all the facilities you mention on the 'to do' list.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, KK62 said:

As a first time visitor to the new Workington I struggled to find anything to be negative about. The layout is GREAT , elevated viewing for all spectators, a couple of seated stands , plenty of space and more than acceptable facilities for a brand new track although my wife would suggest the toilets need to be the next area for improvement.

As I was ‘ involved ‘ in the after match racing I can say that the pits are enormous, plenty of room not just for the main teams but second halfers / juniors too.

The staff were all keen, enthusiastic and very welcoming , from the security man at the main gate right through to the BBQ staff afterwards , although they were very overworked !

Good atmosphere and good crowd helped by sensible pricing , brilliant weather, yes, a little dusty but it’s SPEEDWAY after all.

I highly recommend a visit and I will be going again. Massive congratulations to Mr. Bain, Lawson and ALL the volunteers who made this happen.

Cracking review thank you. The team seem to have attention to detail, continuous improvement and crowd satisfaction high on the list of main attributes. They have a strong desire to try to produce good racing without losing sight that the sport is nothing without its fan base so it has to be enjoyable and value for money. Personally i'm looking forward to watching the project develop in the coming seasons and delighted to have the sport back in Worky

• Like 2

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Would have done harry good to ride tonight could have won a race or 2 .

I'm not sure it would have done any good. He'd be riding against some of the best youth riders. If anything it could knock his confidence more. 

Think we know what he's capable of but it's up to the professionals to figure out how to get it out of him. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Marksman said:

Might be a long gap to the next home meeting on the 12th August now, however it was mentioned that they are trying to arrange a meeting on 29th July, wonder what that could be..

Yeh I heard that. Also heard we'd need a rider to replace connor for one of the meets. Think we should try rail bickley back in

9 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Kyle cant guest as an unattached rider. To be fair probably better to get a useful guest like Bowtell or Hagon ;)

Depends if it's a Challenge or not.  If it is then he can ride.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Kyle cant guest as an unattached rider. To be fair probably better to get a useful guest like Bowtell or Hagon ;)

Hagon impressed me last weekend. That boy can ride. He was pushing connor right to the end of one of the heats.