British Speedway Forum

Workington 2023

37 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Do you know why he didn't deliver on it?

No matter what the excuses are, he shouldn't have promised things he knew he couldn't deliver on. But do tell, I may eat my words and apologize.

29 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

1,too expensive          

2refused permmission

3couldnt be arsed 

All of the above?

1 hour ago, Diamonds85 said:

No matter what the excuses are, he shouldn't have promised things he knew he couldn't deliver on. But do tell, I may eat my words and apologize.

All of the above?

I don't know, which is why I asked.  But I notice you say "he knew he couldn't deliver on," which suggests you know?

My guess is that either Brough Park put a stop to a stage being set up on the dog track, or the Council stopped it (I know they they blocked the mini fair he wanted to put in the car park).  As far as cost is concerned, it was going to be a band made up of his mates and others, so would not have cost anything.

Anyway this is a Workington thread, so, apologies to all.

Belatedly adding 2p's worth: new Worky track is 'stupid wide', i.e. plenty of room, as my mate Tim puts it, he's not wrong there.  When the surface settles down and the dirt builds on the outside, there will be nowhere to hide, the attack from riders at the back could come from anywhere.  The prospect of watching Champs League & even Prem League riders on that track is literally mouth watering.  Very good indeed to see and brilliant stuff for all involved with the Comets :D....

5 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Belatedly adding 2p's worth: new Worky track is 'stupid wide', i.e. plenty of room, as my mate Tim puts it, he's not wrong there.  When the surface settles down and the dirt builds on the outside, there will be nowhere to hide, the attack from riders at the back could come from anywhere.  The prospect of watching Champs League & even Prem League riders on that track is literally mouth watering.  Very good indeed to see and brilliant stuff for all involved with the Comets :D....

Kevin little did say last week it could be too wide lol

34 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

We will have to what Peterborough did and bring the white line in a bit, but it will still be wider than most other speedway tracks in this country :D

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Surely of any rider thinks it's too wide he just wouldn't ride out by then fence?

Which has got me thinking, do the starting grids need to be split into 4 equal sections? Let's say for arguments sake grid 4 was so wide, rides were 10 yards behind at the first bend. Would they be allowed to split the track into 5 sections but only use grids 1-4?

It certainly giving a lot of racing lines, even at this level. Seen a few giving it big yahoo's on the outside line, but not quite got it yet. But it will come and I can't wait to watch it, as the track/riders can only get better, standing on 1st corner looking down the straight often you can see them swapping position to line up a pass. Good to see especially at this level, god knows what a higher standard of rider will make of the track !! 

29 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Taking time to get himself sorted out roy said,apart from the dust which u cant help on a hot windy day like today their was some good keen racing .

Always going to be up against it trying to prepare a decent track on an afternoon like today, water was drying up almost as fast as it was going on (which was after every two heats from what I remember). Track is going to need more dirt on it to retain more moisture and provide more grip around the outside, a few lads gave it a go out wide today but found nothing there and ended up going backwards, riders quickly learned that staying down low and hugging the white line is the quickest way round at the moment but it  doesn't make for very entertaining racing.  Mind you it has been very dry for almost the whole of May, things might improve once the rain returns and the track has had a more consistent soaking.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Why was Harry missing today? 

13 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Taking time to get himself sorted out roy said

I would have thought an individual meeting would be perfect for him to try & find his lost form? No worries of letting a team down etc

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I would have thought an individual meeting would be perfect for him to try & find his lost form? No worries of letting a team down etc

If he's not fully fit, why risk further injury and therefore making his absence longer? Seems a sensible approach to me.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 10:33 PM, Diamonds85 said:

This is the type of thing the pig man promised us at Newcastle but failed to actually deliver on... Well done Workington :t:

On 5/26/2023 at 9:40 AM, StevePark said:

Do you know why he didn't deliver on it?

Couldn't fit it all in the van? :rofl: