British Speedway Forum

Workington 2023

• 2 weeks later...

What's everyone's thoughts on riding order then? It will be interesting because Connor is a big number 1 obviously, but there isn't really an obvious number 5. Do you give it to Ace, or someone slightly more experienced like Luke? Personally I'd go

1. Connor Bailey

2. Sam McGurk

3. Harry McGurk

4. Luke Crang

5. Ace Pijper

6. Elliot Kelly

7. Luke Harrison

There is absolutely zero weakness in that team, on paper they should walk this league... Especially when Luke Harrison makes it into the main body of the team, who's going to be at reserve?? One of the McGurks, that's crazy. Having Luke Crang and Sam McGurk as the second strings too is incredible.

Can't wait to come over some point this season.

Edited by Diamonds85
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

What's everyone's thoughts on riding order then? It will be interesting because Connor is a big number 1 obviously, but there isn't really an obvious number 5. Do you give it to Ace, or someone slightly more experienced like Luke? Personally I'd go

1. Connor Bailey

2. Sam McGurk

3. Harry McGurk

4. Luke Crang

5. Ace Pijper

6. Elliot Kelly

7. Luke Harrison

There is absolutely zero weakness in that team, on paper they should walk this league... Especially when Luke Harrison makes it into the main body of the team, who's going to be at reserve?? One of the McGurks, that's crazy. Having Luke Crang and Sam McGurk as the second strings too is incredible.

Will no doubt be luke at 5 ace 4 

Like Diamonds85, I am looking to pop over sometime when the weather is warmer, I have not been to Speedway for quite a while and found that

as I'm now 75, I feel the cold very much and my legs are not great, so if I can find somewhere sit down using my folding camping stool and watch

the racing, I'm willing to give it a go.

Bob 

• Like 4

On 3/29/2023 at 2:10 AM, Diamonds85 said:

1. Connor Bailey

2. Sam McGurk

3. Harry McGurk

4. Luke Crang

5. Ace Pijper

6. Elliot Kelly

7. Luke Harrison

I'd go with :

1. Connor Bailey

2. Sam McGurk

3. Ace Pijper

4. Luke Crang

5. Harry McGurk

6. Luke Harrison

7. Elliott Kelly

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I'd go with :

1. Connor Bailey

2. Sam McGurk

3. Ace Pijper

4. Luke Crang

5. Harry McGurk

6. Luke Harrison

7. Elliott Kelly

You clearly rate Harry McGurk more than me

And I'd put Luke at 7, being the strongest reserve, but Elliot is still well capable of being at 6, it'll only be a matter of time before one of the McGurks (imo) move to reserve

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

You clearly rate Harry McGurk more than me

And I'd put Luke at 7, being the strongest reserve, but Elliot is still well capable of being at 6, it'll only be a matter of time before one of the McGurks (imo) move to reserve

I'd put Luke at 6 as he is the strongest reserve, think he's capable of beating opposition second strings, give Kelly the easier rides at 7 as he's good enough to beat reserves.

H.McGurk at 5 could get 3 rides partnered with Harrison & one with Bailey, so he's got plenty of support if he struggles.

14 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I'd put Luke at 6 as he is the strongest reserve, think he's capable of beating opposition second strings, give Kelly the easier rides at 7 as he's good enough to beat reserves.

H.McGurk at 5 could get 3 rides partnered with Harrison & one with Bailey, so he's got plenty of support if he struggles.

In fairness Luke isn't concerned what number he rides at but is hoping that he can ride as a pair with Sam . They have such a good understanding of how each other rides stemming from grasstrack then the 125s and 250s.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

In fairness Luke isn't concerned what number he rides at but is hoping that he can ride as a pair with Sam . They have such a good understanding of how each other rides stemming from grasstrack then the 125s and 250s.

I'm mindful of what happened to Sam at Belle Vue in 2021 (?). Massive scores at reserve & moves up to number one, where he then struggled badly. Riding at 7 I feel Luke could potentially do the same thing. The tougher rides as number 6 gets could avoid that & let him reach the top of the team on merit (not this season probably) rather than statistically.

For example finishing 2nd in 3-3s ahead of your partner only beating a novice reserve - means a you get an 8.00 ave!

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

It's getting closer !!! Plenty of photos and videos on social media of behind closed doors practice yesterday, did not hear the bikes at Seaton as a north east wind was blowing the noise out to sea .  Can't wait till may 13 th UTC

For anyone with inside information will open practice sessions run before the season? Will help bed the track in and raise money for the club if they go ahead 

Edited by Neila
Date correction

15 minutes ago, Neila said:

It's getting closer !!! Plenty of photos and videos on social media of behind closed doors practice yesterday, did not hear the bikes at Seaton as a north east wind was blowing the noise out to sea .  Can't wait till may 14th UTC

For anyone with inside information will open practice sessions run before the season? Will help bed the track in and raise money for the club if they go ahead 

Track don't need bedding in it was fantastic both days. The 10 riders there put in plenty of laps and from beginning to end it was terrific little bit slick but that's only to be expected. No idea on open sessions but we will be back up for a full weekend prior to season starting 

• Like 3