British Speedway Forum

Workington 2023

4 hours ago, geoff100 said:

U aint been to lowca yet then,its cold there on a hot summers day!

The game at Kells (you need to know exactly where they play) was early season (April or so).The wind was howling off the Irish Sea and had flecks of sleet in it. The pitch wasn't frozen, but small puddles had ice on them . I and about 40 or so other hardy souls endured wind chill of about -5 and the game degenerated after every other pass was dropped into a major brawl . I remember my hands were so stiff with cold I couldn't undo my coat. 

Coldest I have ever been watching any sport. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Halifaxtiger said:

The game at Kells (you need to know exactly where they play) was early season (April or so).The wind was howling off the Irish Sea and had flecks of sleet in it. The pitch wasn't frozen, but small puddles had ice on them . I and about 40 or so other hardy souls endured wind chill of about -5 and the game degenerated after every other pass was dropped into a major brawl . I remember my hands were so stiff with cold I couldn't undo my coat. 

Coldest I have ever been watching any sport. 

Bet you still had your shorts on .

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Johncar said:

Should walk the NDL this team, number 7 will be pushing your number 1 for his spot by the first 2023 draft  averges 

Agree it looks a really good team, not sure they'll walk it? Leicester and Oxford don't look too shabby, but that's how it should be,  hopefully the NL will get back somewhere near to the heady days of 2015/18. 

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 2

Seems we have a good team for the rebirth of the comets, just hope the local speedway fans back the promotion, as some fans may not get the level the comets are in next season .but this level was always supposed to be about bring the kids through while providing close and exciting racing, can't wait to see how the track holds up once racing starts, 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

I hope the next signing is either " hoggy" or " "maxi" both put on a good show.

we need ALL the support we can get atm , i think  we should forget about hoggy for the moment, unless he wants to help out  and try and pull supporters old and new into the arena these guys have built for our entertainment  for the good of northside speedway .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jenga said:

we need ALL the support we can get atm , i think  we should forget about hoggy for the moment, unless he wants to help out  and try and pull supporters old and new into the arena these guys have built for our entertainment  for the good of northside speedway .

I agree with Jenga. If the supporters don't come back, then the Comets may only be back short term and the track will turn back into a training track and going by the photos that would be a travesty for all in Workington...

11 minutes ago, magnus said:

I agree with Jenga. If the supporters don't come back, then the Comets may only be back short term and the track will turn back into a training track and going by the photos that would be a travesty for all in Workington...

Could I ask is there a reason why the support won't turn out to get behind the comets. Personally think the teams very good for the NDL will be very competitive and good to watch. Plenty of racers in the team to give the fans something to cheer about.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Could I ask is there a reason why the support won't turn out to get behind the comets. Personally think the teams very good for the NDL will be very competitive and good to watch. Plenty of racers in the team to give the fans something to cheer about.

I was just reiterating what Jenga said about there are more important things other than who will be race day announcer. I agree the team, the league and the track looks fantastic and hopefully supporters old and new will come flooding back.

Workington needs speedway and by losing it, it makes you realise how much you have lost. ( I never missed a meeting). I just hope others think the same... 

• Like 3

I hope the supporters return and back the rebirth of the comets, but IMO some of the newer supporters of speedway in the modern times were attracted by big names, whether riding for or against the comets, and this is a reason why I say, I hope they get speedway at this level, in the past when some of these kids were riding development/northern junior league at  Derwent park the majority of the crowd had gone home, now some of those kids are riding for the comets :) hope this does not sound doom and gloom, but just saying as I see it, after following speedway every year since 1970 in the UK and Europe, more so in the 80's and 90's after the comets died in 1981

2 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

i think you owned up to being a part time supporter at Scunthorpe a while back , didnt you ? also only going to home meetings when the oppo were good teams and when it suited you  i am sure your promoter would have liked you to attend more than you did  

you should be able to answer your own question .

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1