British Speedway Forum

GP Challenge Gislaved Sweden Saturday 19th August Live on PPV

32 minutes ago, arnieg said:

I thought it was the correct desicion, but I could see it going either way.

I had mixed thoughts on Lamberts exclusion, originally I put it down to Pawlicki carrying too much speed into the bend, but then there was no need for Lambert to drift so wide , and I think it ended as the correct decision. As Daz said would have been good to see a replay.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, jrs said:

I had mixed thoughts on Lamberts exclusion, originally I put it down to Pawlicki carrying too much speed into the bend, but then there was no need for Lambert to drift so wide , and I think it ended as the correct decision. As Daz said would have been good to see a replay.

From where I was sitting at the end of the 4th corner lambert was rightly excluded, it looked like a desperate, dangerous moveĀ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it was the wrong decision to exclude Lambert. Pawlicki appeared to his usual trick when room starts to run out and cause a bit of a crash so he can get a rerun. Obviously we only saw it once with no replays offered up but I thought Pawlicki lost control way after Lambert came by him.

Really glad to see Wozniak make the cut as heā€™s been knocking on the door for a couple of years. A really hard trier and wonā€™t be pushed about so think he could mix it well. On the other hand was a shame to see Shamek miss out to Kvech who will likely get a GP spot now too.

On a side note, I think Wozniak qualifying (and my hope for Kubera to get a wildcard) could spell the end for Dudek in the GPsĀ 

Szymon Wosniak is a 2024 Grand Prix Rider. Well done to him. Very talented rider. I think it's safe to say Doyle and Vaculik will make the top six cut so that will mean another new face to the series in Jan Kvech. Would have likes to have seen Luke Becker make the cut but his time will come.Ā 

• Like 1

Apart from Doyle, Vaculik, Lambert, Get below Wozniak and it all gets a bit iffy withĀ kvech, Pawliki, Becker, Lebedevs. One in the 2024 would be enough, two of them could be a disaster for the series. Lebedevs would be my choice, he has the maturity, but doesnā€™t seem to be able to nail it when required ie recent SON and now the Challange. Beckets not quite there yet, Pawliki (I remember them both only a few years ago), so itā€™s got to be Kvechā€¦and I not exactly jumping with joy but perhaps best of that bunch for next year.

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Apart from Doyle, Vaculik, Lambert, Get below Wozniak and it all gets a bit iffy withĀ kvech, Pawliki, Becker, Lebedevs. One in the 2024 would be enough, two of them could be a disaster for the series. Lebedevs would be my choice, he has the maturity, but doesnā€™t seem to be able to nail it when required ie recent SON and now the Challange. Beckets not quite there yet, Pawliki (I remember them both only a few years ago), so itā€™s got to be Kvechā€¦and I not exactly jumping with joy but perhaps best of that bunch for next year.

This is exactly the thinking that holds speedway back. Today two of the top fiveĀ in the GPs showed their class, but Lambert who is currently eighth was soundly beaten by Kvech and Becker. This is onĀ track that Lambert is the current track record holder, yet people want to stay with the same old faces.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, MARK246 said:

This is exactly the thinking that holds speedway back. Today two of the top fiveĀ in the GPs showed their class, but Lambert who is currently eighth was soundly beaten by Kvech and Becker. This is onĀ track that Lambert is the current track record holder, yet people want to stay with the same old faces.Ā 

10 different tracks lambertĀ beats them both 8-2 ,imo

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DazS said:

10 different tracks lambertĀ beats them both 8-2 ,imo

The only difference between eigth (there are seven worse) in the GP series and Kvech, Pawlicki, Becker and lebedevs is a lack of opportunity nothing more.Ā 

Until the chance happens we will carry on with the same old dross.

7 hours ago, MARK246 said:

The only difference between eigth (there are seven worse) in the GP series and Kvech, Pawlicki, Becker and lebedevs is a lack of opportunity nothing more.Ā 

name the dross in your opinion?

Wozniak has earned his place and hopefully will know what to expect when stepping up a level to be competitive in the series.Doyle Vaculik Lambert we re always going to be in next year if they didnā€™t qualify on merit they would have been given wild cards.It is looking at the moment that Young Kvech could be getting a place and good luck to him he should learn from the experience and hopefully improve from it .Of the riders in the series who donā€™t get in the top six who do you pick ? . I think we can say goodbye to Kim Nilsen as a defo.Think Holders place is safe.Madsen will be back Woffinden and Fricke also . Janowski Dudek Thomsen could be in trouble Michelsen s should be back via the European championship route.When all said and done who s going to raise their game and challenge Zmarzlik because barring injury he s got this years wrapped up well before the final round.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MARK246 said:

Go on Wikipedia and search for ā€œspeedway gp challengeā€, take a look back through the years. First off, you will notice the top three every year are usually dominated by the current (for that year) gp riders. However sometimes in the top three you will see a ā€œnewā€ name, like Wozniak this year, who will be in the following years GP series. So follow these names into the following year gp series and see how they do. For starters, take last yeas Challenge winner Kim Nilson. Then go back year by year. Success is not guaranteed. Ā Michel Mickelson came as winner of SEC, howā€™s he doing. Ā For sure change is needed, Ā new faces are needed, but not 3 or 4 a year. And there could be a case made that when someone comes into the gps they need continuity of more than one year, two years at least. Why? GPĀ is at a different level to league racingā€¦ fitness, mechanics, money (sponsors). Even then success is not guaranteed. Take Anders Thomson, very competent rider, came in last year and won a GP, brilliant first year, gets a ticket for this year. Unfortunately now badly injured, but prior to injury how well was he doing? Would he be in next years gp series? Yet I reckon Anders Thomson is a better rider than Kvech, Becker, Pawliki and add Lebedevs too. Ā Take Lebedevs, been around a few years, age about 28. Heā€™s been in a few gp challages, check out his results. Well capable of scoring 7-9 in a challenge final, but thatā€™s it. Heā€™s peaked (sadly, because I like his riding and been willing him on). Putting Lebedevs into a GP series would see him scoring 4-7. For sure I think occasionally he could ruffle a few feathers, which would be good, but not regularly. I donā€™t want to hold anyone back, look at Bewley, Lambert, JHolderā€¦.. they were given there chance and have embraced it fullyā€¦.. not everyone can/will. Be careful what you wish for.

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, r8gdp said:

Ā Michelsen s should be back via the European championship route.

It's probably been done to death elsewhere but how is it fair that Michelsen can qualify from the SEC while the likes of Becker & Lidsey can't even compete in that competition?

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

Bring back the old format. Bottom 7 in SGP goto challenge with 9 new faces. Then the top 5 or 6Ā from this meeting qualify with the others made up from wildcards... but wildcards used due to injuries or genuine bad luck from the challenge.Ā Ā 

This then means that the riders in the top 5 or 6Ā are better( all be it on a one off meeting) than the ones they replacing.

Look at this year's challenge .. Doyle Vaculik Lambert at top. Which they should be... but if a Wozniak qualifies he does it by being better than 1 of current sgp line up.Ā 

Andy Smith kept getting in the SGP through the challenge by being better than a newbie...

Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut