British Speedway Forum

Oxford Cheetahs 2023

Just now, Fromafar said:

Is there a reason that the tractor has to stay on centre green most track are able to find place to park between heats away from track.It is aHealth and safety issue IMO,they obviously have permission though.

I think it's down to the air fence, something to do with it needing the be deflated to allow the tractor to leave the track at the third bend. The other track exit on the back straight (by the pits) isn't big enough.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bluebee said:

I do hope attendances hold up next season (and beyond). I certainly intend to go to more meetings next year. There are some faults with the place - it's not the best stadium for watching the sport and the tractor in the middle of the green  doesn't help and advanced purchasing of tickets is a pain. The  quality of the racing has generally  been pretty good. Things in its favour for me 1. the staff at the stadium have been welcoming and polite 2. the place is clean and tidy (and not all speedway stadia are 3. the fans have been friendly and I've had a pleasant chat with a number of them. Long may it continue and please try and get Bomber there next season!

The management have been doing a very good job and should be congratulated. I suggest they might like to contact the council about their proposed traffic scheme - it c could affect attendances.

Tractor was moved off centre towards the end of season after feedback

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bojangles said:

I think it's down to the air fence, something to do with it needing the be deflated to allow the tractor to leave the track at the third bend. The other track exit on the back straight (by the pits) isn't big enough.

There is no exit on the 3rd bend, the tractor has come on via an entrance/exit on the 2nd bend so no reason why this cannot be used. It massively obscures the view of the start/finish when viewing from 3rd bend, a fairly important part of the track.

it did use the pits exit before they installed the swivel gate.

8 hours ago, Toady said:

Tractor was moved off centre towards the end of season after feedback

Are you saying the tractor was not on the centre green during some meetings towards the end of the season? I attended every home meeting and cannot recall this being the case. As I watch from the 3rd bend, the tractor is an issue. If it cannot be off track, so be it, but would definitely be better. I believe it's more to do with the time it takes and the, at present, limited space off track around the 2nd band area. 

Having said that, I've nothing but praise for the promotion and all they have done this season.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hilly said:

There is no exit on the 3rd bend, the tractor has come on via an entrance/exit on the 2nd bend so no reason why this cannot be used. It massively obscures the view of the start/finish when viewing from 3rd bend, a fairly important part of the track.

it did use the pits exit before they installed the swivel gate.

Are you saying the tractor was not on the centre green during some meetings towards the end of the season? I attended every home meeting and cannot recall this being the case. As I watch from the 3rd bend, the tractor is an issue. If it cannot be off track, so be it, but would definitely be better. I believe it's more to do with the time it takes and the, at present, limited space off track around the 2nd band area.

Apologies, I meant the second bend. No idea why I said third! It cannot be used because the air fence has to be deflated, so would take a good 10mins each time there is a track grade.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Apologies, I meant the second bend. No idea why I said third! It cannot be used because the air fence has to be deflated, so would take a good 10mins each time there is a track grade.

:) I did see the air fence needing to be deflated, which is why I assumed it stayed on the centre green, track grading take too long everywhere as it is. Hopefully an entrance can be created along the back straight, maybe where the pits end going towards the 3rd bend, before the air fence starts. The greyhound rails are only plastic so seems feasible. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hilly said:

:) I did see the air fence needing to be deflated, which is why I assumed it stayed on the centre green, track grading take too long everywhere as it is. Hopefully an entrance can be created along the back straight, maybe where the pits end going towards the 3rd bend, before the air fence starts. The greyhound rails are only plastic so seems feasible. 

Yeah, I’m sure they will come up with a solution. It’s early days, so plenty of scope for further stadium enhancements. 

As you said, I’ve also got nothing but praise for all the promotion have done this season. The fact it’s such minor niggles that are mentioned is testament to the job they’ve done. 

• Like 4

Be good if they could race April to September, 6 months, instead of finishing mid-August, missing out on warmer evenings. And introduce pay on gate. Would like to see Bomber there as number 1.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Its no warmer, or drier, in April than it is in October!

It's slightly warmer in October, but nearly twice as much rain in October compared to April.

6 hours ago, auntie doris said:

It's slightly warmer in October, but nearly twice as much rain in October compared to April.

Don't remind me...it still irks that the "Cheetahs" didn't achieve a clean sweep in 1986 due to late October weather. They attempted to run the League Cup and Knock Out Finals three times at Cowley. It was decided to share the trophies but I felt we were the victors personally having gained the initiative in the away legs. We were also denied a 100% League record (winning all our away meetings) with two meetings left un-run.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Don't remind me...it still irks that the "Cheetahs" didn't achieve a clean sweep in 1986 due to late October weather. They attempted to run the League Cup and Knock Out Finals three times at Cowley. It was decided to share the trophies but I felt we were the victors personally having gained the initiative in the away legs. We were also denied a 100% League record (winning all our away meetings) with two meetings left un-run.

What a team that was. Got to be the best team in British Speedway history. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bojangles said:

What a team that was. Got to be the best team in British Speedway history. 

Others will no doubt give other examples but no one dominated a season as Oxford did that year (remember every team had to declare a junior that season). Personally I felt that the signing of Per Sorensen turned a good team into a great team. Swindon's loss was very much Oxford's gain and he must have been "chuffed to bits" to score a paid maximum on his return to Blunsden on that glorious occasion we hammered the "old enemy". A great bunch of riders all worth a mention...Hans Nielsen, Simon Wigg, Marvyn Cox, Andy Grahame, Per Sorensen, Nigel De'ath and Jon Surman.

On 10/28/2022 at 1:23 PM, auntie doris said:

Too much variation for that to be a factor plus also the heaviness/frequency/time of day is important. Heavy rain on a Tuesday every week in October compared to lighter rain every day in April would still give similar rainfall figures but you'd get more meetings run in October. 

• 2 weeks later...