British Speedway Forum

Oxford Cheetahs 2023

4 hours ago, lewy said:

I think most teams will have a 2pt reserve, alot depends on the other reserve whether they can 5 or 6 pts will make a huge difference, poole look like the only team that will be going with a bit of extra strength at the bottom end,time will tell.

A good Reserve can win you a league , totally agree

11 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

He'll get Prem offers throughout the season I'm sure, his resolve will be tested.

I'm not so sure, once he gets a new Champ ave he'd have to sign for the Prem on his converted ave. Current Prem ave is 5.15, converted Champ would be 5.49. I'd Prem clubs don't think he's worth signing on the lower ave, I can't imagine they would on thel higher ave?

Obviously if his Champ average lowers his converted ave will lower, but would he be in demand if that happens?

I think Nicholls will be happy with the current situation. Midweek track, less Saturdays with Leicester moving up, can still pick & choose guests booking in the Prem if he wants. Still good enough to be a heat leader in the Champ & more time for TV commitments.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lewy said:

I think most teams will have a 2pt reserve, alot depends on the other reserve whether they can 5 or 6 pts will make a huge difference, poole look like the only team that will be going with a bit of extra strength at the bottom end,time will tell.

Does make you wonder why it’s not been made compulsory for all Championship sides not to have a 2 pointer/Rising star?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

Does make you wonder why it’s not been made compulsory for all Championship sides not to have a 2 pointer/Rising star?

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

That’s speedway,back of a fag packet stuff.

5 year plans or plans not thought out thoroughly. Take this years pre AGM & AGM as an example. 2 Home & 2 away gives more(probably) meetings to fill in the gap weeks(too many for some clubs this year) then thrown out because of clubs possibly running 2 teams (CL & NDL), Berwick, Oxford & Plymouth & 1 with rental issues, Birmingham(less meetings, less losses).

My issue with the Rising Star system was that it should have been experienced based grading. 1* & 2* riders should not have been riding in the Premiership which includes J Palin. They then should have then been allowed to move through the system before achieving at least 3 or more years experience with an achieved average of 6+. The Polish system worked even though a few riders excelled in their early years, were kept at reserve until they reached a certain level of experience. 

3 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

5 year plans or plans not thought out thoroughly. Take this years pre AGM & AGM as an example. 2 Home & 2 away gives more(probably) meetings to fill in the gap weeks(too many for some clubs this year) then thrown out because of clubs possibly running 2 teams (CL & NDL), Berwick, Oxford & Plymouth & 1 with rental issues, Birmingham(less meetings, less losses).

My issue with the Rising Star system was that it should have been experienced based grading. 1* & 2* riders should not have been riding in the Premiership which includes J Palin. They then should have then been allowed to move through the system before achieving at least 3 or more years experience with an achieved average of 6+. The Polish system worked even though a few riders excelled in their early years, were kept at reserve until they reached a certain level of experience. 

Like I have always said self interest wins the day in Speedway nowadays.

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

Not sure where this idea that birmingham voted against 2 home 2 away has come from or is everyone just guessing again.

Edited by Petecc

Good they have signed Masters, the number 1 rider in Championship, but long tail, and Ruml will be a loss. Mid-table look, may struggle away. Hopefully the crowds will hold up, and they will have pay on gate.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Good they have signed Masters, the number 1 rider in Championship, but long tail, and Ruml will be a loss. Mid-table look, may struggle away. Hopefully the crowds will hold up, and they will have pay on gate.

I think that top 3 will keep the crowds in and close meetings should as well.

59 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

With only nine in the league, mid-table is probably good enough to make the play offs.