British Speedway Forum

Edinburgh 2023

That's their choice.

I've followed speedway for over 50 years and watched it been totally decayed by mismanagement and greed over the years.

British Speedway has gone from being the jewel in the crown that riders from every nation wanted to ride with 20 teams in the top division all featuring at least one, if not two,  WORLD CLASS riders down to a Mickey Mouse level where even top Brits are posted missing.

The BSPA oversee year after year of embarrassing errors and as long as promoters own team come out smelling of roses then that's OK.

The only way British Speedway will grow and improve is when a totally independent administration takes control.

And if I can't be arsed then maybe it's because I have finally got my priorities sorted.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, cinderfella said:

That's their choice.

I've followed speedway for over 50 years and watched it been totally decayed by mismanagement and greed over the years.

British Speedway has gone from being the jewel in the crown that riders from every nation wanted to ride with 20 teams in the top division all featuring at least one, if not two,  WORLD CLASS riders down to a Mickey Mouse level where even top Brits are posted missing.

The BSPA oversee year after year of embarrassing errors and as long as promoters own team come out smelling of roses then that's OK.

The only way British Speedway will grow and improve is when a totally independent administration takes control.

And if I can't be arsed then maybe it's because I have finally got my priorities sorted.

Fully agree.

Each and every off season, fans hope things behind the scenes have a huge shake up and things are promised yet nothing ever improves, only gets worse.

Its alarming how bad the sport has became in the UK now whilst other motorsports seem to be thriving.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Fully agree.

Each and every off season, fans hope things behind the scenes have a huge shake up and things are promised yet nothing ever improves, only gets worse.

Its alarming how bad the sport has became in the UK now whilst other motorsports seem to be thriving.

Yeah but there’s no rider guarantees this year so that’ll sort this whole mess right out… 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheGuvnor said:

Yeah but there’s no rider guarantees this year so that’ll sort this whole mess right out… 

I thought the AGM said "limited number of guarantees" so they will still be some, somewhere.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Why the hell are we,the paying fans, putting up with our sport being diluted by those who actually run it and yet will probably expect us to pay more?

I am honestly having a serious think about which meeting I will attend next season and although only a single individual whose presence won't be missed at least I know I'm voting with my feet (and wallet)

Maybe if more fans did the same in an organised manner promoters may come to respect fans and their income?

Most of the promoters run at a loss so trying to minimise losses. Riders, mechanics & suppliers also have to earn an income.

23 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Yeah but there are more teams than just Glasgow to worry about.

Pickering could be the difference: Harris and Cook cancel each other out age and experience wise while Basso, Brennan and Thomson are all at the same stage progess wise of their careers so Josh experience and ability could be the difference between the match ups.

But then again the other 4 in each side are going to be as important as the top three.

The Bickley v Pjiper battles should be interesting.

I agree. It will be interesting to see how the reserves of all the teams pan out because there are a lot of very inexperienced (at Championship level) riders this season.

3 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Most of the promoters run at a loss so trying to minimise losses. Riders, mechanics & suppliers also have to earn an income.

And there lies the problem. We have a standard that we can't afford. Championship Riders should be semi professional and certainly shouldn't have paid mechanics. Riders were paid £1 a point in the Provincial League in 1964. This equates to about £25 at today's prices. On  this basis £90 sounds too much. Riders were semi professional, all but the top men had day jobs. All riders just had one bike. If it blew then they used the track spare or were out for the night. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Beirao said:

And there lies the problem. We have a standard that we can't afford. Championship Riders should be semi professional and certainly shouldn't have paid mechanics. Riders were paid £1 a point in the Provincial League in 1964. This equates to about £25 at today's prices. On  this basis £90 sounds too much. Riders were semi professional, all but the top men had day jobs. All riders just had one bike. If it blew then they used the track spare or were out for the night. 

Or borrowed a team mate’s bike…….

3 hours ago, Nickinho said:

I agree. It will be interesting to see how the reserves of all the teams pan out because there are a lot of very inexperienced (at Championship level) riders this season.

……..and the inexperience could could possibly cause some strung out racing which isn’t ideal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ragdoll64 said:

……..and the inexperience could could possibly cause some strung out racing which isn’t ideal. 

Always been wary of young lads getting in the way and causing havoc but I suppose they have to learn.

Perhaps only having the more experienced No 6 come in as a replacement for tape or 2 min exclusions could be a solution?