British Speedway Forum

Glasgow 2023

23 hours ago, ragdoll64 said:

That's the incident! Last night i found the old video of the meeting but couldn't figure out how to clip it and post it here. Thanks for saving me the effort :t:

Edited by Nickinho

Don't mind the race suits, but hate matching bike covers, more difficult to recognise the rider unless they have distinct wheel rims or mud guards. Also if there are changes and you can't hear announcement , you have to wait and check number on the rider's back

On 3/31/2023 at 10:24 AM, Gazc said:

Definitely Complin who cleared the fence and landed on the terracing on the 4th bend.

Also recall another rider doing the same it was in the home straight, it may have been Kieszak.

Was it not Richard Sweetman that went over the fence as well during the 2011 season against Somerset??

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cheggie said:

Was it not Richard Sweetman that went over the fence as well during the 2011 season against Somerset??

He did indeed forgot about that one cleared the fence on bend 1 and disappeared out of sight

19 hours ago, Cookiefan said:

Don't mind the race suits, but hate matching bike covers, more difficult to recognise the rider unless they have distinct wheel rims or mud guards. Also if there are changes and you can't hear announcement , you have to wait and check number on the rider's back

I agree but then i'm someone who doesn't like any change in speedway at all and i still miss riders wearing tassles under their arms (big shout out to the member of the Armadale team who wore them in 2022!) Now the only tassles i ever see are in Diamond Dolls but it's just not the same and i wish they would bring them back or at the very least bring back the yellow & black helmet colours. I hate yellow, it's barely indistinguishable from white.

Edited by Nickinho
  • Like 1

Have to say after watching some of the videos and interviews on the club's twitter I'm getting really excited about this season. I always thought Ben might drop a bit start of this season but was flying for Peterborough the other night beating doyle and Emil. Potentially best 2nd strings in the league now Marcin has his own gear over hopefully see better performances away from home. And Lee seems proper fired up to get out reserve Berth which would be some achievement in that side.

And even if we don't win the league ashfield going to be the place for entertainment this season!!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Joseq7 said:

Brushed himself down, back on the horse and won the rerun.

They're just no right in the heid are they......? 

Title winning season if I remember correctly. Sweetman replaced Josh G after he broke his leg that year with a young Nick Morris scoring big points.from reserve.

What a team we had that year unfortunately a revitalised Newport beat us in the KOC final to stop the double but a fantastic team to watch that year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gazc said:

Title winning season if I remember correctly. Sweetman replaced Josh G after he broke his leg that year with a young Nick Morris scoring big points.from reserve.

What a team we had that year unfortunately a revitalised Newport beat us in the KOC final to stop the double but a fantastic team to watch that year.

We ran out of steam towards the end of that season, both points wise and money wise! Sweetman was never heard of again.

29 minutes ago, MD said:

We ran out of steam towards the end of that season, both points wise and money wise! Sweetman was never heard of again.

Shame about Sweetman was a tidy rider and done a reasonable job covering for Josh that year.

Thankfully there was no play offs that season as Newport strengthened and demolished us in that final  we were long gone in the league and won it at a canter.

Remember going to Newport for the first leg of that final and we were dis-mantled that night the second leg the following day was a mere formality.

13 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Shame about Sweetman was a tidy rider and done a reasonable job covering for Josh that year.

Thankfully there was no play offs that season as Newport strengthened and demolished us in that final  we were long gone in the league and won it at a canter.

Remember going to Newport for the first leg of that final and we were dis-mantled that night the second leg the following day was a mere formality.

Believe that was reason play offs were introduced in champ because from about June onwards was pretty obvious we were strolling the league wasn't anything for rest to play for. 

Was helluva side but teams were often beaten when they arrived wasn't the most exciting season. 

8 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Have to say after watching some of the videos and interviews on the club's twitter I'm getting really excited about this season. I always thought Ben might drop a bit start of this season but was flying for Peterborough the other night beating doyle and Emil. Potentially best 2nd strings in the league now Marcin has his own gear over hopefully see better performances away from home. And Lee seems proper fired up to get out reserve Berth which would be some achievement in that side.

And even if we don't win the league ashfield going to be the place for entertainment this season!!

Yeah, the 1-5 is looking fantastic. I don’t see Ace or Lee escaping the reserve berths for very long, if at all. Nothing against them, just the fact of what they’re up against. I’m interested to see who does best out of Marcin, Claus and Tom - I think Ben and Chris are a step ahead. Although Marcin’s home record on his brief spell in 2021was as good as anyone (bar Craig, but even that, not by much).

Think Nowak on his own machinery will surprise a few and will be pushing a 7 average.

It’s also a big year for Tom no doubting his talent but needs to push on to his next level this season , I have a feeling he will.

11 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Think Nowak on his own machinery will surprise a few and will be pushing a 7 average.

It’s also a big year for Tom no doubting his talent but needs to push on to his next level this season , I have a feeling he will.

Nowak been riding at a higher level in Poland than guys like masters, Pickering and Douglas. While that's comparing apples and oranges he should really be making a mockery of a 5 in our 2nd Division 

18 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Tom does need to - really got outshone by Ben last year, albeit he did do a good job at 5. He was landed in it a bit. Marcin’s away average will determine where he is - if he can take care of that, I fully expect him to become the third heat leader, which is mad, given the two second strings we’d be left with are bona fide heat leaders themselves.

Edited by Noelinho
Stupid autocorrect.

Just now, Jaizer said:

Nowak been riding at a higher level in Poland than guys like masters, Pickering and Douglas. While that's comparing apples and oranges he should really be making a mockery of a 5 in our 2nd Division 

The three Australians you mention have the track craft on the smaller tracks over here Marcin has had a small taste of that and struggled on them.

Only too be expected but with his ability and experience he should do better this time around, at least he knows what is required.

Armadale might be a step too far this Friday hope I’m wrong I sense a stag do in Warsaw pre-arranged.

4 minutes ago, Gazc said:

The three Australians you mention have the track craft on the smaller tracks over here Marcin has had a small taste of that and struggled on them.

Only too be expected but with his ability and experience he should do better this time around, at least he knows what is required.

Armadale might be a step too far this Friday hope I’m wrong I sense a stag do in Warsaw pre-arranged.

Yeah absolutely true. I could be wrong but sure I read he only came with one engine in 2021 everything else was borrowed and was just too powerful. On his own gear I'd hope to see an improvement... Even at armadale lol