British Speedway Forum

Glasgow 2023

49 days to go! It's been far too long. Anyways, does anyone know how far along the planned 3rd bend terracing/stand thing came during the winter months? I've always thought that the best place to watch the action is from the 3rd bend but there's only a hospitality suite there at the moment so i'm looking forward for the chance to see a type of structure similar to the one on the fourth bend finally being built. Anyone know if it's been built or is still going ahead? 

On 2/4/2023 at 10:48 AM, tyretrax said:

I know thwe stadium is finished but it isn't abandoned if staff are still working was my point.

i no mate but it is in a pretty poor state these days , would break your heart as it was the best stadium and track they ever had 

Edited by davie10
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 5:43 PM, davie10 said:

i no mate but it is in a pretty poor state these days , would break your heart as it was the best stadium and strack they ever had 

Not all would agree. I thought Shawfield was pretty mucky most of the time and there were better tracks. But I’m just a spectator. 
I liked White City but had nothing to compare it against as it was the first track I saw. Hampden was just too big and soulless. Coatbridge was an amazing track with fantastic banking but the rest was pretty tatty. Blantyre 1 and 2 were good tracks but, again, limited facilities. 
The latest incarnation of Ashfield is probably the best of the lot, though it’s taken a long time to get there. The facilities are excellent, you get a great view of the races from loads of different places and the track is providing the best racing in years

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Not all would agree. I thought Shawfield was pretty mucky most of the time and there were better tracks. But I’m just a spectator. 
I liked White City but had nothing to compare it against as it was the first track I saw. Hampden was just too big and soulless. Coatbridge was an amazing track with fantastic banking but the rest was pretty tatty. Blantyre 1 and 2 were good tracks but, again, limited facilities. 
The latest incarnation of Ashfield is probably the best of the lot, though it’s taken a long time to get there. The facilities are excellent, you get a great view of the races from loads of different places and the track is providing the best racing in years

Shawfield at its best was our best track and stadium. It had bars and a restaurant from which you could watch the racing and had enough cover for the whole crowd on a wet night. Ashfield, good though it is, has none of these. 

Looking back Hampden was poor though we didn't think so at the time. Too narrow and the final year with no music was pretty dire. Coatbridge was ok but don't remember it as being "amazing". It served a purpose. Blantyre 1 had a good track, not so sure about it's successor. Facilities at both were Spartan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beirao said:

Shawfield at its best was our best track and stadium. It had bars and a restaurant from which you could watch the racing and had enough cover for the whole crowd on a wet night. Ashfield, good though it is, has none of these. 

Looking back Hampden was poor though we didn't think so at the time. Too narrow and the final year with no music was pretty dire. Coatbridge was ok but don't remember it as being "amazing". It served a purpose. Blantyre 1 had a good track, not so sure about it's successor. Facilities at both were Spartan. 

Spartan is such a lovely word!

1 hour ago, gazzac said:

Isn't that something to do with that famous Greek bloke Gerard Butler? 

Top Paisley man is Gerard was in Gabriel’s a couple of years back when he appeared for a pint out the blue and bought the whole pub a drink.

Never forgets his roots unlike Paolo Nutini who wouldn’t give you the time of day when out and about.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 8:10 PM, Gazc said:

Top Paisley man is Gerard was in Gabriel’s a couple of years back when he appeared for a pint out the blue and bought the whole pub a drink.

Never forgets his roots unlike Paolo Nutini who wouldn’t give you the time of day when out and about.

Very true. The last time i was in Paisley Paolo Nutini came out of a side street and kicked me in the shin and ran away laughing whilst shouting "i'm a ruddy superstar, who's going to believe you, you peasant!"

He looked a bit like Paolo but it was dark and i'd had a few jars so i can't be 100% sure of what i saw or what i heard but i'm 98.77% sure that it was him.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Ace Pijper taken to hospital in France after nasty crash in French league match- Theo looks as if he pulled out of the meeting to be with him.

Hope it's not to serious 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Seen some photos of the BSN launch, found it very unusual for the Glasgow pair not to have team suits, only one wearing them. And not even any body colours!!

Which for a high profile league launch I find it very strange, has Glasgow lost the normal PR team/person they had ??

1 hour ago, Neila said:

Seen some photos of the BSN launch, found it very unusual for the Glasgow pair not to have team suits, only one wearing them. And not even any body colours!!

Which for a high profile league launch I find it very strange, has Glasgow lost the normal PR team/person they had ??

No we’re skint you not heard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Neila said:

If I was to guess I'd say the new race suits weren't ready and Tom had binned/ donated his. Ace was wearing one of last year's I believe 

Robert Mackenzie left before the start of last season moving to join Celtics PR team. Was a big loss for the Tigers.

Social media is showing songs of flickering back into life but no racing filmed, no Roary and the screen being used as a glorified scoreboard were some of the more obvious signs of his loss last year. 

Afraid its all gone a bit stale. Needs another burst of enthusiasm, time and talent but not entirely sure where that is going to come from given the Facennas work there arses off making Allied a success. 

Can't fault the track staff or core product it's outstanding 

But the rest, well its like everyone else now with added kids race. 

Edited by Fingersfin

22 hours ago, Neila said:

It's Glasgow. Bound to be the team manager's fault.

• Haha 1

On 3/23/2023 at 6:11 PM, Fingersfin said:

Robert Mackenzie left before the start of last season moving to join Celtics PR team. Was a big loss for the Tigers.

Social media is showing songs of flickering back into life but no racing filmed, no Roary and the screen being used as a glorified scoreboard were some of the more obvious signs of his loss last year. 

Afraid its all gone a bit stale. Needs another burst of enthusiasm, time and talent but not entirely sure where that is going to come from given the Facennas work there arses off making Allied a success. 

Can't fault the track staff or core product it's outstanding 

But the rest, well its like everyone else now with added kids race. 

Didn't you hear? Roary was shot whilst on safari in Africa. An American hunter under the misapprehension that he was extremely dangerous unloaded his blunderbuss into his backside. He will be sorely missed :cry: 

• Haha 2