British Speedway Forum

Glasgow 2023

On 1/27/2023 at 12:04 PM, Paulco said:

So do we get a 10 point start for sponsoring the league . It's only fair as compensation for a conflict of interests and laughing at sporting integrity

I would grant Glasgow a ten point lead. It’s the only realistic way they are in with a shout to be honest. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Think Clyde trying to build a new ground on the gallowgate last I'd heard

They want to take over the Crownpoint Glasgow Life facility and develop it. No idea what the plans are for the existing facilities, but it's one of the few accessible running tracks in Glasgow so I'd hope there would be strings attached, to make them keep it.

10 hours ago, King Jamie said:

Could Clyde FC purchase Shawfield Stadium and return there?

Or are they skint?

Or is the stadium beyond repair?

Or both?!

Not sure what the status is tbh. The owner died last year, no idea who controls it now. The site is a crumbling mess and unless anyone has a real passion to resurrect the stadium (unlikely, as Clyde are looking elsewhere and I can't think of anyone else who might want it), it's most likely going to either become a housing development, or be scooped up by the Clyde Gateway urban regeneration project.

Edited by Noelinho
Premature submission
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, King Jamie said:

Could Clyde FC purchase Shawfield Stadium and return there?

Or are they skint?

Or is the stadium beyond repair?

Or both?!

They couldn't afford it, being a wooden stand they probably wouldn't get a safety certificate for football to be played in it.

Edited by tyretrax
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

They want to take over the Crownpoint Glasgow Life facility and develop it. No idea what the plans are for the existing facilities, but it's one of the few accessible running tracks in Glasgow so I'd hope there would be strings attached, to make them keep it.

Not sure what the status is tbh. The owner died last year, no idea who controls it now. The site is a crumbling mess and unless anyone has a real passion to resurrect the stadium (unlikely, as Clyde are looking elsewhere and I can't think of anyone else who might want it), it's most likely going to either become a housing development, or be scooped up by the Clyde Gateway urban regeneration project.

The King family still own it.

2 hours ago, cheggie said:

The 2023 Under-21 British Final will be held at Ashfield on Sunday 27th August! :) 

League sponsorship paying off well already, good to see. Bit of the cash put in given back with a payday from this.

Edited by Mr Blobby

20 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

League sponsorship paying off well already, good to see. Bit of the cash put in given back with a payday from this.

It's hardly a lot of gold! Could mean there is no meeting on the Friday before it (Aug 25), the last Friday to run any rained off meetings before the cut off. 

I'm glad that the U21 final is heading to Glasgow this year but i hope it will be better attended than last years' British Youth Championships at Ashfield which had a really poor crowd even though the fixed price was £10. It was a very enjoyable afternoon and the promotion were not at fault as they put on a really good event as they always do. 

1 minute ago, Nickinho said:

I'm glad that the U21 final is heading to Glasgow this year but i hope it will be better attended than last years' British Youth Championships at Ashfield which had a really poor crowd even though the fixed price was £10. It was a very enjoyable afternoon and the promotion were not at fault as they put on a really good event as they always do. 

Was that the one that not many people knew was happening til the day/day before? 

2 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

<ring ring>

"Good evening, Cab Direct"

"Hello. I'd like a taxi please"

"Ok. Where from?"

"Glasgow Speedway"

"Oh, excellent. No problem. What's the name?"

"Blobby"

"Sorry. We're fully booked"

• Haha 5