British Speedway Forum

Glasgow 2023

On 12/6/2022 at 5:28 PM, Gazc said:

I think our number 6 will be a young Aussie who agreed to go elsewhere and then changed his mind will be announced next.

I expect the in the knows to reply very quickly as to how this scandal shouldn’t be allowed and it’s not fair that they splash the cash.

Any rider can change his mind until contracts are signed. Lawson last year decided against Plymouth & headed to Poole, Redcar suggesting Jenkins was gonna stay before going to Oxford.

I don't particularly blame the riders as clubs are quick to drop a rider when it suits them.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Any rider can change his mind until contracts are signed. Lawson last year decided against Plymouth & headed to Poole, Redcar suggesting Jenkins was gonna stay before going to Oxford.

I don't particularly blame the riders as clubs are quick to drop a rider when it suits them.

Yeah there is little loyalty left in the sport bar fans turning up every week.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

You would get a great number of fans hope up.IMO

Yeah getting Rassie back would be great. But there you have the problem of loyalty. Just how many one season wonders have The Tigers had? (and every other team too I dare say).

And then there are some you're glad only did one?

7 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Yeah getting Rassie back would be great. But there you have the problem of loyalty. Just how many one season wonders have The Tigers had? (and every other team too I dare say).

And then there are some you're glad only did one?

Trouble is nowadays a rider giving his all and having a good season does not help for the next season.Averages have to be looked after these days.

On 12/6/2022 at 7:54 PM, Arthur54 said:

You beat me to it :nono:

It does seem a lot of people are jealous of glasgow tho, int just about a trophy tigers win most weeks with a top race track & product give me that every time over clubs who rak up big home wins with zero racing & entertainment...without racing the sport goes simple 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zander said:

It does seem a lot of people are jealous of glasgow tho, int just about a trophy tigers win most weeks with a top race track & product give me that every time over clubs who rak up big home wins with zero racing & entertainment...without racing the sport goes simple 

One thing guaranteed at Ashfield is entertaining speedway on a great raceway.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2022 at 8:20 PM, lisa-colette said:

Haha, not quite. From memory he said something about Poole should be everyone's second team, so couldn't understand why we were hated so much! lol 

Maybe if he wants to start a Glasgow one, they should be everyone's third 

2 minutes ago, Zander said:

Exactly that. Trophies are a bonus when you have great racing. If you don’t have great racing, they’re the only thing… and then, the numbers don’t add up. The best thing about the Facennas isn’t the money thrown at riders, it’s the investment in the track and the product. Plus a great team of track staff - Paul, Chris and the others invest incredible hours putting it together during the season and they almost always get it spot on, which isn’t always easy with our weather.

• Like 4

Trophies are a bonus but  surely no promoter gets into speedway to come second.Glasgow is an excellent club but be honest can you say your  promoter is happy with their considerable investment they make every season and I'm only going On what's been said on here I've no idea what they invest in £'s to not win trophies.Poole have the Ford's who despite what has been said on here is a "jumped up hairdresser " knows how to build winning teams and this last season we had an excellent track as for one sided meetings yes a few but I would love for every meeting to be close and you would think as all sides build to the same points pre season you would get close meetings but  that is not the case,still it is what it is and look forward to next season and who knows what 7 Poole will start with well we know 4 we all guess the rest.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Essex said:

Trophies are a bonus but  surely no promoter gets into speedway to come second.Glasgow is an excellent club but be honest can you say your  promoter is happy with their considerable investment they make every season and I'm only going On what's been said on here I've no idea what they invest in £'s to not win trophies.Poole have the Ford's who despite what has been said on here is a "jumped up hairdresser " knows how to build winning teams and this last season we had an excellent track as for one sided meetings yes a few but I would love for every meeting to be close and you would think as all sides build to the same points pre season you would get close meetings but  that is not the case,still it is what it is and look forward to next season and who knows what 7 Poole will start with well we know 4 we all guess the rest.

Who is saying they are investing money to not win, or to come second? That’s clearly not what’s being said.

8 hours ago, Essex said:

What do you actually get for winning? Are there any financial benefits? Winning put Workington out of business a couple of years back!! Who outside a few hundred hardcore fans actually cares about who wins what? 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

What do you actually get for winning? Are there any financial benefits? Winning put Workington out of business a couple of years back!! Who outside a few hundred hardcore fans actually cares about who wins what? 

First poiny - winning didn’t put Workington out of business. It was years of over trading and late paying that did that. They were going to fail at some point but the winning streak just speeded that up.

As far as financial benefits are concerned, ask Poole how much they made from the play off final. Or Leicester how much they expected to make. These are £30,000-£40,000 events with costs the same as a normal league event. And winning teams, promoted well, encourage more support.

In my opinion. . 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

First poiny - winning didn’t put Workington out of business. It was years of over trading and late paying that did that. They were going to fail at some point but the winning streak just speeded that up.

As far as financial benefits are concerned, ask Poole how much they made from the play off final. Or Leicester how much they expected to make. These are £30,000-£40,000 events with costs the same as a normal league event. And winning teams, promoted well, encourage more support.

In my opinion. . 

The play offs are a money spinner, no doubt about it. Any team in the play offs makes quite a bit extra and I can tell you winning them is a great feeling. Poole is usually packed, especially for the final, Leicester would have been had they managed to stage it at their own track. 

19 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

In my opinion. . 

Not being able to pay the amount of money promised to the Team assembled to win put them out of business is another way of putting it.Did the riders ever get the money they were owed.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:53 PM, Mr Blobby said:

I know our full 1-7 thanks and it’s no losing 6 figures a year either.  

But we are considerably , considerably richer than you 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Noelinho said:

Exactly that. Trophies are a bonus when you have great racing. If you don’t have great racing, they’re the only thing… and then, the numbers don’t add up. The best thing about the Facennas isn’t the money thrown at riders, it’s the investment in the track and the product. Plus a great team of track staff - Paul, Chris and the others invest incredible hours putting it together during the season and they almost always get it spot on, which isn’t always easy with our weather.

We had that conversation at Shawfield back in the glory years when we were thumping everyone at home . It does actually get boring after a while . Give me what we have now every time , and if we manage to win something - fine , if not then as long as the entertainment on view stays the same . 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Paulco said:

We had that conversation at Shawfield back in the glory years when we were thumping everyone at home . It does actually get boring after a while . Give me what we have now every time , and if we manage to win something - fine , if not then as long as the entertainment on view stays the same . 

Yeah I'd rather watch a 46-44 match than a 60-30 match but with the aggregate score being introduced my view on that may change.

Of course the ongoing problem with aggregate scores when riders are missing for whatever reason, meetings cut short due to weather etc is always going to keep The Forum kicking on :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Similar at Lynn 2005-09.

• Like 1