Glasgow 2023

8 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

You should be spending your cash at a comedy club :D

So I can actually hear some good jokes, unlike on here where you get the usual

• Kennet guest for Plymouth joke
  • Glasgow stealing Poole riders joke
  • Lawson to Plymouth joke

All of which are repeated over, and over, and over, and over, and over again

List a few more if you can think of any other repetitive bo!!ocks which was mildly funny the first time but is boring as all hell now

11 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

So I can actually hear some good jokes, unlike on here where you get the usual

• Kennet guest for Plymouth joke
  • Glasgow stealing Poole riders joke
  • Lawson to Plymouth joke

All of which are repeated over, and over, and over, and over, and over again

List a few more if you can think of any other repetitive bo!!ocks which was mildly funny the first time but is boring as all hell now

British Champion signing for a full season at Birmingham?

Newcastle spending money they obviously didnt have on repairing a track to continue the season with a No1 and his sidekick No7 who was out of his depth?

An abandoned British Final resulting in a rider being nominated to do the British GP ?

BV signing a rider, who previously declined to ride in his home country's league, for THREE matches in a bid to win silverware?

Biggest jokes though are BSPA and SCB.

Edited by cinderfella
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, cinderfella said:

British Champion signing for a full season at Birmingham?

Newcastle spending money they obviously didnt have on repairing a track to continue the season with a No1 and his sidekick No7 who was out of his depth?

An abandoned British Final resulting in a rider being nominated to do the British GP ?

BV signing a rider, who previously declined to ride in his home country's league, for THREE matches in a bid to win silverware?

Biggest jokes though are BSPA and SCB.

I'm not on about the joke of a sport we all love to hate

I'm on about the 'jokes' that get repeated on this forum over and over... Your list is a whole other topic...

Free tickets were around in 2018, and *maybe* 2019, but not since then. The point wasn’t to make the crowd look bigger, it was to entice people in, in the hope they’d pay to come back.

Glasgow we’re not break even pre-COVID. The Facennas openly said they were making six figure losses. They were prepared to take some losses as they see it as giving to the community to some extent, but ultimately they are businessmen and they want the club’s finances to be sustainable in the medium term. I would guess they are still absorbing substantial losses.

In terms of crowd, I think the figures people are quoting are inflated in line with energy prices. The stand might be able to fit 400 people, but I have never counted 400 people at a Tigers match. The shed may fit 150 people, but I’ve never counted 150 people there.

My best estimates from counting at the last match I was at are around 150 in the stand, 150 under the stand and in the shed, and maybe 150 on the back straight.

An extra 300 adults through the doors per match would make about £75k extra ticket office revenue over a 14 match home season, so it’s a big gap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noelinho said:

Free tickets were around in 2018, and *maybe* 2019, but not since then. The point wasn’t to make the crowd look bigger, it was to entice people in, in the hope they’d pay to come back.

Glasgow we’re not break even pre-COVID. The Facennas openly said they were making six figure losses. They were prepared to take some losses as they see it as giving to the community to some extent, but ultimately they are businessmen and they want the club’s finances to be sustainable in the medium term. I would guess they are still absorbing substantial losses.

In terms of crowd, I think the figures people are quoting are inflated in line with energy prices. The stand might be able to fit 400 people, but I have never counted 400 people at a Tigers match. The shed may fit 150 people, but I’ve never counted 150 people there.

My best estimates from counting at the last match I was at are around 150 in the stand, 150 under the stand and in the shed, and maybe 150 on the back straight.

An extra 300 adults through the doors per match would make about £75k extra ticket office revenue over a 14 match home season, so it’s a big gap.

The last match was Definately very poorly attended  though probably for a number of reasons.

interesting reading the posts above . prob the only way Glasgow can get near the break even figure or even more through the gate is to  ( dare i say it )  get riders in for 2023 who want to ride for the club and cut the wage bills for riders .stop bleeding the club dry .

its the only thing they have in their control .. and it is something they can do straight away . 

while i am on here . going premier league in 2023 will be the straw that breaks the tigers back .

fuel costs and living costs cannot be absorbed by Glasgow speedway . 

time to return to part time riders and full time enjoyment for speedway all over the U.K.

7 minutes ago, jenga said:

interesting reading the posts above . prob the only way Glasgow can get near the break even figure or even more through the gate is to  ( dare i say it )  get riders in for 2023 who want to ride for the club and cut the wage bills for riders .stop bleeding the club dry .

its the only thing they have in their control .. and it is something they can do straight away . 

while i am on here . going premier league in 2023 will be the straw that breaks the tigers back .

fuel costs and living costs cannot be absorbed by Glasgow speedway . 

time to return to part time riders and full time enjoyment for speedway all over the U.K.

I believe Glasgow have the in house Catering (could be wrong though).If they do it certainly generates a lot of income.Only the Promotion know the facts and figures for income and expenditure, everything else is speculation.

Edited by Fromafar

41 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

I believe Glasgow have the in house Catering (could be wrong though).If they do it certainly generates a lot of income.Only the Promotion know the facts and figures for income and expenditure, everything else is speculation.

Outsourced the catering last season and not for the better.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Noelinho said:

That seems a sensible estimate IMO, about an average of 400-500.

1000 seems wild of the mark, again only IMO.

While I’m sure the talk on catering (very poor since it’s been outsourced and more expensive) and attendances makes for invigorating reading what line up do we see for 2023.

im very much assuming that cookies time has come to an end, but looking at the league and available number 1’s I struggle to see who could come in to replace him. I’m sure all fans would have Basso back as number 1 but the chances of that are slim, so who else could it be? Bomber, Scott Nichols, nick Morris, Kyle Howarth???

At reserve I’m seeing every team is going to have to take a 2 pointer to maintain the strength in the main body of the team with a reduced team building average.

this then leaves #6 probably the most important spot since he will potentially be picking up the 4th ride of number 7 every meeting. 

the rider who fits the number 6 role for me would be Paul starke, who on his current average must have had a phone call from every team manager in the league.

Claus Vlissing making a return to Glasgow on a 5 average has surely got to be a possibility leaving 2020 on a 7.8 average at number 2 would be a steal.

Tom Brennan surely will make another trip up the m74 for another season of improvement with the added burden of captain hopefully being handed to someone older and bolder in the team.

number 5 is where I’m completely lost, do they hope Justin will maintain or improve on his 7.07 average in a season of vast improvement, probably fired on by the disappointment of his previous year. Lewi Kerr, MPT or another rider averaging on the 7-8 mark to offer some leadership when times are hard seemed to be what we lacked with Uli’s injuries in the last two seasons?

finally is there an over seas star waiting to test their grit on the British tracks on a favourable 5 average or is Marcin Nowack going to make a surprise return for a full season as a tiger.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

While I’m sure the talk on catering (very poor since it’s been outsourced and more expensive) and attendances makes for invigorating reading what line up do we see for 2023.

im very much assuming that cookies time has come to an end, but looking at the league and available number 1’s I struggle to see who could come in to replace him. I’m sure all fans would have Basso back as number 1 but the chances of that are slim, so who else could it be? Bomber, Scott Nichols, nick Morris, Kyle Howarth???

At reserve I’m seeing every team is going to have to take a 2 pointer to maintain the strength in the main body of the team with a reduced team building average.

this then leaves #6 probably the most important spot since he will potentially be picking up the 4th ride of number 7 every meeting. 

the rider who fits the number 6 role for me would be Paul starke, who on his current average must have had a phone call from every team manager in the league.

Claus Vlissing making a return to Glasgow on a 5 average has surely got to be a possibility leaving 2020 on a 7.8 average at number 2 would be a steal.

Tom Brennan surely will make another trip up the m74 for another season of improvement with the added burden of captain hopefully being handed to someone older and bolder in the team.

number 5 is where I’m completely lost, do they hope Justin will maintain or improve on his 7.07 average in a season of vast improvement, probably fired on by the disappointment of his previous year. Lewi Kerr, MPT or another rider averaging on the 7-8 mark to offer some leadership when times are hard seemed to be what we lacked with Uli’s injuries in the last two seasons?

finally is there an over seas star waiting to test their grit on the British tracks on a favourable 5 average or is Marcin Nowack going to make a surprise return for a full season as a tiger.

MPT is injury prone so I would leave him alone.

Nowak I'd welcome back in a moment as I would Paul Starke.

Foreign pasteurs may prove too strong a calling for Mr Brennan and I fear Ben will be stepping up everywhere else so can't see him back.

Attracting a 2 pointer willing to travel to Glasgow will be a major problem and I don't think any of the Devils or Bullets would do a job bar Ace Pjiper and he'll stay at Berwick.

Perhaps if cuts are needed cost and average wise 6 man teams should be considered especially after claims of not enough riders of a decent standard being available being voiced.

4 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

In this week's Speedway Star, the Glasgow report states 'we are intent on putting together a strong side to beat Poole in the Championship in 2023'!!

So I guess it'll mean major surgery of this season's 1-7!?

Hello, first post for me.  Glasgow fan :-)

Fingers crossed as long as we keep Basso am not bothered...

What are the totals you use to make up a team is it the rolling average or the 2022 average.  Could be fun to try and then post it on here.

Cheers.

24 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

In this week's Speedway Star, the Glasgow report states 'we are intent on putting together a strong side to beat Poole in the Championship in 2023'!!

Weird. Could beat us and not win the league! Don't even how strong we will be compared to everyone else yet! Unless they want to beat us and that's it :unsure:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lisa-colette said:

Weird. Could beat us and not win the league! Don't even how strong we will be compared to everyone else yet! Unless they want to beat us and that's it :unsure:

Think it may well be an underhanded compliment.

32 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

As a Glasgow fan I find my respect diminishing daily.

Why just Poole? Any team that comes to the tapes have to been considered potential champs.

1 minute ago, Gazc said:

Think it may well be an underhanded compliment.

Course it is, they have beaten Glasgow in the Play Offs last year and this and have generally been the benchmark for other sides since dropping down. So not really weird.

• Like 1