British Speedway Forum

Glasgow 2023

17 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Ken McKinlay.    Six years a Tiger, then NINE World Finals, reserve at three more.   Without doubt the greatest Scot of all time.

In terms of service to the Tigers, Steve Lawson.

He was, also a "Saint" for Scunthorpe at Quibell Park at 50 years+.

3 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Yeah with all due respect to him he and his old JAP should have retired before that stint. But I guess speedway was in his blood. 

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

Remember him with the old JAP and the gas goggles many riders used back then even though JAWAs and 'monkey masks' were the in thing. 

George Major and Mike Broadbank were the same. 

Jack Smith in for Ace on Saturday, did well at Redcar and as a Glasgow asset, this is his chance to shine, not expecting him to get 10 points but if he can get something in heat 2 and at least challenge opposition number 7, that will be a start. I remember when he joined Glasgow a few years back, I think he relied on his Dad's reputation, but he has grown up somewhat since then and he can gate, so good luck to the lad

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Weeyin said:

Jack Smith in for Ace on Saturday, did well at Redcar and as a Glasgow asset, this is his chance to shine, not expecting him to get 10 points but if he can get something in heat 2 and at least challenge opposition number 7, that will be a start. I remember when he joined Glasgow a few years back, I think he relied on his Dad's reputation, but he has grown up somewhat since then and he can gate, so good luck to the lad

He isn't the first son to have failed. Kym Mauger, Tony Briggs, Aiden and Chris Collins come to mind. 

George Stancl and the late Lee Richardson were two  exceptions that come to mind. 

2 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

He isn't the first son to have failed. Kym Mauger, Tony Briggs, Aiden and Chris Collins come to mind. 

George Stancl and the late Lee Richardson were two  exceptions that come to mind. 

Wasn't there a Nagy junior rode in a few classics wasn't very good. 

Can't believe you forgot the son of god :o

34 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Wasn't there a Nagy junior rode in a few classics wasn't very good. 

Can't believe you forgot the son of god :o

Oh I didn't just didn't want to show too much Glasgow bias. 

Wonder is Frazer Bowes will ever wear the red & white stripes? 

14 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Oh I didn't just didn't want to show too much Glasgow bias. 

I'd love to see him one day. Say it every year. His dad and lyonsy were the reason fell in love with the sport as a youngster 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I'd love to see him one day. Say it every year. His dad and lyonsy were the reason fell in love with the sport as a youngster 

And never have there been two such totally dedicated riders. All their spare cash was spent on spares for their bikes rather than booze and the likes. 

Two of the best recommendations Jimmy Mac made. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Apparently he was over a fews weeks ago for a practice.

He would be on a 5 point average though. Maybe he was being considered as a Nowak replacement or with a view to next season

Edited by gmarsbar2

6 minutes ago, gmarsbar2 said:

Apparently he was over a fews ago for a practice.

He would be on a 5 point average though. Maybe he was being considered as a Nowak replacement or with a view to next season

Of course the full facts were never made public (to my knowledge) but I think that would rule out Connor Bailey returning. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cinderfella said:

And never have there been two such totally dedicated riders. All their spare cash was spent on spares for their bikes rather than booze and the likes. 

Two of the best recommendations Jimmy Mac made. 

It was Sean Courtney who recommended Jason after a visit to Australia, not sure of a Jimmy Mac connection with Shane either. :cheers:

1 hour ago, tyretrax said:

It was Sean Courtney who recommended Jason after a visit to Australia, not sure of a Jimmy Mac connection with Shane either. :cheers:

Correct, Sean Courtney brought Jason to Shawfield.

Shane raced the 1987 season for Newcastle, was here to start 1988 with the Diamonds when they suddenly pulled out the National League in mid-March.  Shane was contacted and invited to join Tigers at that point.      

Jimmy Mac was manager of Berwick 1987/88.

• Like 1