British Speedway Forum

Glasgow 2023

22 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Well this year they planned ahead & the play-offs were supposed to start early.

But then they didn't plan for poor weather in July / August holding thing up, meaning the play-offs are delayed, despite clubs only having to race 8 home league meetings.

However did we manage to race over 20 home meetings back in the 60s and 70s? Oh yes a wee drop of rain didn't deter riders back then. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

Well this year they planned ahead & the play-offs were supposed to start early.

But then they didn't plan for poor weather in July / August holding thing up, meaning the play-offs are delayed, despite clubs only having to race 8 home league meetings.

Our first league match was June 2nd. Seems like madness, but we had one match arranged for the first week of May [Oxford], which was rained off, and then completed after the original cut-off deadline.

We only had four free Fridays from the beginning of April to the end of August (seems hard to believe) - it'd be interesting to know if anything was preventing matches those nights. I suspect SoN accounted for one. Maybe clubs just have to stomach guests more (cue universal outrage).

9 hours ago, cinderfella said:

However did we manage to race over 20 home meetings back in the 60s and 70s? Oh yes a wee drop of rain didn't deter riders back then. 

I think there's a lot more to it than that. The bikes are very different and much harder to ride in imperfect conditions, and promotions seem to be reluctant to run in front of rain affected crowds or pay expenses for rider's travel only for the meeting to be off anyway.

Don't get me wrong, Brtish speedway has got itself in this hole. But if you are going to have play offs then the season needs organising much better than it has been recently.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I think there's a lot more to it than that. The bikes are very different and much harder to ride in imperfect conditions, and promotions seem to be reluctant to run in front of rain affected crowds or pay expenses for rider's travel only for the meeting to be off anyway.

Don't get me wrong, Brtish speedway has got itself in this hole. But if you are going to have play offs then the season needs organising much better than it has been recently.

Next season could be interest given the number of closures we are hearing about. 

The PL certainly can't run with 5 teams so whether some PL teams move up, which I think is unlikely given enforced race nights, or the three current leagues amalgamate to become two it think teams will be looking at more fixtures. 

11 hours ago, Noelinho said:

Our first league match was June 2nd. Seems like madness, but we had one match arranged for the first week of May [Oxford], which was rained off, and then completed after the original cut-off deadline.

We only had four free Fridays from the beginning of April to the end of August (seems hard to believe) - it'd be interesting to know if anything was preventing matches those nights. I suspect SoN accounted for one. Maybe clubs just have to stomach guests more (cue universal outrage).

One guest destroys any real credibility of the competition, therefore, you might as well have as many as you need to get regular racing on and get the league completed...

They end up doing it anyway, all the time, so they can complete the season, (was it four for Plymouth last week?), therefore, what difference does it make when they do it?

Just do it all season and get regular racing, and a completed fixture list before the colder dark nights of late September and October hit...

Edited by mikebv

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

it’s only the racing that most fans are there to see.

I'm not sure about that. At Ashfield, I think a sizeable chunk of people (maybe the younger fans more so?) are more excited about Ben, Bomber and Lee particularly.

And probably Tarasenko now too. Or maybe we just have an exciting team...

I would hope most fans would come regardless, but some riders definitely have a significant pull effect.

4 hours ago, Noelinho said:

I'm not sure about that. At Ashfield, I think a sizeable chunk of people (maybe the younger fans more so?) are more excited about Ben, Bomber and Lee particularly.

I would hope most fans would come regardless, but some riders definitely have a significant pull effect.

Would agree,it’s really just the results I’m on about.Who really cares who wins the matches nowadays

ps

would prefer if you quoted my whole posts,as others may think that was all I said.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

I have to admit that when I read that Shane Parker had been voted the greatest Tiger of all time I laughed. 

I though how could the present generation of fans compare him to Jimmy Mac or Charlie Monk (my boyhood hero's) and then it dawned on me that the previous generation would have said the same about Tommy Millar and Ken McKinlay and their predecessors.

Having been lucky enough to have been brought up on 60s and 70s speedway this old dinosaur finds kevlars and lay downs a bit 2nd class. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

I have to admit that when I read that Shane Parker had been voted the greatest Tiger of all time I laughed. 

I though how could the present generation of fans compare him to Jimmy Mac or Charlie Monk (my boyhood hero's) and then it dawned on me that the previous generation would have said the same about Tommy Millar and Ken McKinlay and their predecessors.

Having been lucky enough to have been brought up on 60s and 70s speedway this old dinosaur finds kevlars and lay downs a bit 2nd class. 

There's no debate. Lee Dicken is the greatest Tiger of all time.

• Haha 4

Having see the Basso crash on YouTube he gets a really good start and does very well for three laps then Vaculik goes past him like Ben has suddenly switched to riding a lawnmower and i don't think Lebedevs was expecting Ben to be hugging that inside line so slowly. Still, Basso's very lucky to have walked away from that because it looked very similar to the terrible Gundersen crash from many moons ago. 

All action in Heat 10 #DanishSGP | FIM Speedway Grand Prix - YouTube

Edited by Nickinho

50 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

How did we survive so many seasons of Dicken. Every winter first signing, way to get the supporters excited about the next season :rofl:

Canny diss big Lee , the guy is a cult hero . Remember once we were down at Somerset and we were getting a right doing . Big Lee comes out and wins heat 12 and does two laps of honour . 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Paulco said:

Canny diss big Lee , the guy is a cult hero . Remember once we were down at Somerset and we were getting a right doing . Big Lee comes out and wins heat 12 and does two laps of honour . 

Aye counting wasn't his strong point. 

Say why you want about Lee (I will) he always gave 100%

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Na sorry was never for me. Watching him round armadump was like watching Keith maben!! The guy tried hard I've no doubts about that, he just wasn't very good lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nickinho said:

9 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Steve Lawson was voted Greatest Tiger of all time.

Edited by tyretrax
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, tyretrax said:

With in his era ans statistically I would find it hard to argue with Steve Lawson being the GOAT but you can argue he never made it on the World stage against the top riders of his day whereas McKinlay and McMillan did. 

Keep forgetting about the impact Jayden O'Malley made for The Tigers - deliberately lol

• Like 1