British Speedway Forum

BSN

One thing they do still need to try to improve next season is the sound in the pits. Sometimes the pit mics aren’t great. That should be fixable. But there’s also all the background noise, which is harder to fix, but is always more noticeable on BSN than on Eurosport. A lot easier to solve somewhere like Glasgow, where they set up at the bottom of the hill by the pit gate, but that would be one thing to look at improving.

• Like 1

I can only hope that BSN did nicely out of the CL pay offs... because if the BSPL saw anything out of BSN's no doubt inflated numbers it might make them more prone to pulling off stunts like they did with the 2nd leg in the future... and that must NEVER happen again!

Edited by iainb

10 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

Great Season of viewing, hope they offer the same good value annual package for 2023

Hmm... we'll see if the BSPL get greedy and try and cash in on the success of BSN. They've got some money to make back on the one man and his dog crowd that turned out to watch the "Grand" Final!

16 hours ago, iainb said:

I can only hope that BSN did nicely out of the CL pay offs... because if the BSPL saw anything out of BSN's no doubt inflated numbers it might make them more prone to pulling off stunts like they did with the 2nd leg in the future... and that must NEVER happen again!

It wasn't a stunt m8 surely, no way would Leicester want to miss out had things been normal!! Loads of money lost ......

4 minutes ago, Trees said:

It wasn't a stunt m8 surely, no way would Leicester want to miss out had things been normal!! Loads of money lost ......

Who took the decision to move the deciding final "Home" leg to KL though, we don't know? Which ever way you look at it, it stinks!

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

Who took the decision to move the deciding final "Home" leg to KL though, we don't know? Which ever way you look at it, it stinks!

I still don't really know how the track was ok after Buster had seemingly sorted it and why it got to dangerous to ride in a couple of days, I know we had more rain but had nearly two days of dry weather leading up to Friday evening. Why couldn't it  be sorted again. 

2 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

I still don't really know how the track was ok after Buster had seemingly sorted it and why it got to dangerous to ride in a couple of days, I know we had more rain but had nearly two days of dry weather leading up to Friday evening. Why couldn't it  be sorted again. 

tbf the rain we had on the Monday & Tuesday after the track was "repaired" was pretty intense. Doesn't matter which way you cut it though, if BSPL forced Leicester to move to Lynn or the Bates took the decision to move it to Lynn... on a Friday night was a kick in the teeth for both sets of fans.

Leicester did NOTHING to mitigate the move for the home fans... no coaches organised, they could even have opened the club house up and put the stream on a big projector, sold a bit of food and some drinks... may even have made some money on it, nope... nothing!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, iainb said:

tbf the rain we had on the Monday & Tuesday after the track was "repaired" was pretty intense. Doesn't matter which way you cut it though, if BSPL forced Leicester to move to Lynn or the Bates took the decision to move it to Lynn... on a Friday night was a kick in the teeth for both sets of fans.

Leicester did NOTHING to mitigate the move for the home fans... no coaches organised, they could even have opened the club house up and put the stream on a big projector, sold a bit of food and some drinks... may even have made some money on it, nope... nothing!

Yes that is poor but maybe most clubs wouldn't do that either, I am afraid that is where we are with Speedway in this country,that said it must have been a massive loss of revenue for Leicester, not surprised it was such a small crowd though and Kings Lynn only had one small bar open and the back straight was closed off. 

53 minutes ago, iainb said:

Was this all because poor Stewart Dickson is recovering from his heart attack though, he was track man and team manager after all .....

4 hours ago, iainb said:

100% get all that Ian, and you are quite correct they "could have", (and probably "should have") done something like you describe, however..

Speedway promoters are for me often similar to those people who run local cricket, and football teams and leagues...

Well meaning individuals who have time on their hands, and are willing to do things for the love of what they follow rather than have any desire to make huge sums of money, nor have any desire to run their organisations as anything more than "let's just put this on and see who turns up"...

Delivering a "fan focused experience", through targeted marketing, using advertising and feedback mechanics, are truly alien to many of them I would say, maybe even all of them?

You only have to see how football has gone, from local scrap metal merchants, car dealers, and local butchers and the like running clubs, to now where even clubs at non league level are being ran by professional CEO's with people alongside who have strong marketing and customer experience skill sets, to see how far Speedway is away from engaging it's current customer base never mind attracting more..

Doing "nothing at all" also for me clearly showed how almost irrelevant even those who run the competitions see them..

If it was "so important" you would have wanted at least 500 of your own fans there wouldn't you and would have made every effort to get them there. Hopefully to be the "eighth man" and bring home the ultimate prize....

One you have spent all season competing for whilst trying to convince people it is worth watching as it means "something"..

Fortunately, Leicester have a new start next year so no hangover for them from what was not a great end to their season.. 

7 hours ago, mikebv said:

100% get all that Ian, and you are quite correct they "could have", (and probably "should have") done something like you describe, however..

Speedway promoters are for me often similar to those people who run local cricket, and football teams and leagues...

Well meaning individuals who have time on their hands, and are willing to do things for the love of what they follow rather than have any desire to make huge sums of money, nor have any desire to run their organisations as anything more than "let's just put this on and see who turns up"...

Delivering a "fan focused experience", through targeted marketing, using advertising and feedback mechanics, are truly alien to many of them I would say, maybe even all of them?

You only have to see how football has gone, from local scrap metal merchants, car dealers, and local butchers and the like running clubs, to now where even clubs at non league level are being ran by professional CEO's with people alongside who have strong marketing and customer experience skill sets, to see how far Speedway is away from engaging it's current customer base never mind attracting more..

Doing "nothing at all" also for me clearly showed how almost irrelevant even those who run the competitions see them..

If it was "so important" you would have wanted at least 500 of your own fans there wouldn't you and would have made every effort to get them there. Hopefully to be the "eighth man" and bring home the ultimate prize....

One you have spent all season competing for whilst trying to convince people it is worth watching as it means "something"..

Fortunately, Leicester have a new start next year so no hangover for them from what was not a great end to their season.. 

I don't get it, these people are allegedly successful local business people yet they aren't able to do the basics with a Speedway club.

You're right though these competitions do seem to be irrelevant to most of them, we've lost the CL 4's, the CLRC tucked away at Poole on a Wednesday night, unable to complete the CL season satisfactorily, Jubilee Trophy abandoned, PL Pairs abandoned, PL league meetings being run after the pay offs had been held, PL League Cup running after the season had finished... perhaps 2023 should just consist of the KO Cup as that was about the only competition they were able to run within the specified timelines!

Any self respecting club owner would NEVER let happen what happened to Leicester in the pay off final... these club owners come and go, I was here following Leicester before they came and I'll be here long after they've done with their play thing.

I'm still pretty p1ssed off as you may be able to tell :angry:

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

Let's hope the other Prem clubs dont turn down Leicesters application because of their track issues?!:cry:

17 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Let's hope the other Prem clubs dont turn down Leicesters application because of their track issues?!:cry:

They will definitely have two votes.. ;)

Last time I went the track was really poor in shape, meaning the racing was really poor too.

However, all reports on here suggest it has improved significantly given its reshaping, so I will go along next season and see..

My only concern though is that in the 2nd tier sometimes the racing can be "better" simply because the riders are not the absolute top level.. 

Eg KL the other night served up some good racing which it doesnt seem to do too many times when the top lads turn up... 

It also often served up good racing regularly when they rode in the 2nd tier too, but obviously it has had a different surface added since then which might contribute more to follow the leader than just having the best riders in the UK there regularly.. 

Be good to have the top league grow though as every sport needs a "flagship league" to promote it...

34 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

That would be utterly ridiculous.

It's not complicated, just get the season done earlier.

• Like 1