British Speedway Forum

Berwick 2023.

32 minutes ago, StevePark said:

And, yet, Berwick decided to have (expensive) Double Headers !!

21 minutes ago, StevePark said:

In that case, maybe they shouldn't have entered two leagues then?

Mr Park. Your team is no longer with us due to the total incompetence of your last promoter and now you decide to continually criticize a Promotion that still exists in what is a difficult time in our sport, grapes and sour spring to mind !

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Too try to save money on  Ground Rental and First Aid was the reason I believe.

Saved that money its true but with the crowds levels that were reported to be at the meetings there must've been heavy financial losses.

• Like 1

Just now, Heedthebaw said:

Mr Park. Your team is no longer with us due to the total incompetence of your last promoter and now you decide to continually criticize a Promotion that still exists in what is a difficult time in our sport, grapes and sour spring to mind !

No sour grapes from me and "continually criticize" is going a bit far!  IF they are able to continue then all credit to them for doing so, but it seems to me that the general consensus of opinion (on here at least) seems to be they are getting it wrong on more than one level.

Yes I wish things had been different at Newcastle, but they aren't.  I no longer have a team to support and have to get my "fix" elsewhere, that will be Berwick or Redcar (next nearest Scunthorpe) and out of the two I know where I've been to and I travelled South, rather than North.  I much prefer the racing at Redcar (my personal choice) and, to be honest, can't see that changing (due to the track constraints at Shielfield).

• Like 3

On 8/13/2023 at 9:27 AM, BigMandyStave said:

Surely you can understand that going from Berwick CALLING HIMSELF a 'fan' but not going to contribute financially to even try and support the club but then moving onto watching Glasgow, a club who at the moment is a lot more successful and paying to support them is clearly glory hunting? He is literally hunting glory, to me thats no fan. Berwick deserves better...

I understand the point ur making he's maybe turned back on berwick but not the glory bit the tigers run a good speedway track we are not serial winner die to track is fair enough & is a good racing circuit u can support any team u like ...u don't need to follow bandits because u live in berwick ...shielfield needs to be widened to be a top track if ur a paying customer u can pay wherever & follow whoever u like 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fromafar said:

They say they build Teams too a budget to protect the future of Speedway at Berwick.It’s a fine line and it has too be entertaining to keep the crowd levels.There have been a couple of decent matches this season IMO,but results have been poor.The fixture list has been a shambles.Even now we have we Glasgow turning up without Harris a big attraction especially at Berwick when it been known all season he was in World Longtrack.with all these blank Saturdays throughout the season.It turning fans off the sport.

Fans can accept guests for injuries,but they turn up every week for all sorts of reason nowadays.

I completely agree, the only decent match we had was against Redcar and made it so good just managing to get the win which has been an impossible task against Redcar for a while. Although you can have good meets even if the Bandits lose, as long as there’s been some good entertaining racing and both teams put up a fight.
The Bullets however have been on fire their first two seasons and unbeaten at home, this year we’ve only had 1 home win and that was called off early due to the fog. 

14 minutes ago, Barabas said:

I understand the point ur making he's maybe turned back on berwick but not the glory bit the tigers run a good speedway track we are not serial winner die to track is fair enough & is a good racing circuit u can support any team u like ...u don't need to follow bandits because u live in berwick ...shielfield needs to be widened to be a top track if ur a paying customer u can pay wherever & follow whoever u like 

Shielfield was widened in 2020 but i think football pitch has to be a minimum width and length which it apparently is now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barabas said:

You can widen the track as much as you want but if you prepare a track where there is virtually only one line then what you do with the rest is next to useless.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Barabas said:

Just so you know I live in Scotland !!!!

3 hours ago, screm said:

You can widen the track as much as you want but if you prepare a track where there is virtually only one line then what you do with the rest is next to useless.

Your right there,the last few matches the racing line has been a couple of feet from the fence from Heat 1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, screm said:

No doubt there will be a million and one excuses about last night's debacle at Glasgow but the bottom line is this team just isn't good enough in any way shape or form.

Glasgow are allowed to go well around their own track I believe, it was always going to be a tough task going up against one of the perennial contenders.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Your right there,the last few matches the racing line has been a couple of feet from the fence from Heat 1.

It’s a shame the way things have went for Berwick this season , injuries have played a big part in how it has panned out but after witnessing their performance last night well that was shocking.

The fans. deserve so much better I suppose budget has played a big part in the team assembled but certain riders based on there averages should be doing much better than they are.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gazc said:

It’s a shame the way things have went for Berwick this season , injuries have played a big part in how it has panned out but after witnessing their performance last night well that was shocking.

The fans. deserve so much better I suppose budget has played a big part in the team assembled but certain riders based on there averages should be doing much better than they are.

While injuries play there part guests cancel it out to a certain extent,they build Team to a budget but this season think it failed  because the middle order have just not shown up at home hence the defeats.No overall improvement from Etheridge,Knudsen and Flint I would say is the main cause.There has been a lot pressure on Leon especially at home.They have been averaging about 7 heats winners in home meetings that spells defeats most weeks.That’s speedway everything depends what is done on the track not on paper.I said before I gave the line up the benefit of the doubt,but it has not worked out on track.Unfortunately.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Injuries are not an excuse as all clubs have them. I can't wrap my head around signing a 7 point man on a 9.5 ish average - bad move! if you look at Berwick's cumulative finishing positions since 2005 finishing 2nd  it speaks volumes. Maybe that coincided with a fairer track(2009) that away riders enjoyed rather than dreaded.

Edited by Robinh88
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Robinh88 said:

Injuries are not an excuse as all clubs have them. I can't wrap my head around signing a 7 point man on a 9.5 ish average - bad move! if you look at Berwick's cumulative finishing positions since 2005 finishing 2nd  it speaks volumes. Maybe that coincided with a fairer track(2009) that away riders enjoyed rather than dreaded.

The most basic rule of team building is to try sign riders who will improve their starting average. 

I remember Rye House receiving many tonkings at Berwick over the years. Even our championship winning sides struggled with the place. One year (must have been 2009) we arrived early and spoke to Chris Neath in the pits where he said something along the lines of hating the place but the track looked alright from what he’d seen that night. He proceeded to have his best night ever at Shielfield. 

• Like 1

I've also said it... The minute Peter waite left is when we became vulnerable at home... It took a special team to beat us beforehand.... Peter knew others hated coming to Berwick so he kept conditions in such a particular way! 

We need to get a track that is conducive to racing... We need a team that can score points home and away... Not just rely on big home points cos as we've seen, when that doesn't happened... We're buggered!! 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Bandits4eva said:

I've also said it... The minute Peter waite left is when we became vulnerable at home... It took a special team to beat us beforehand.... Peter knew others hated coming to Berwick so he kept conditions in such a particular way! 

We need to get a track that is conducive to racing... We need a team that can score points home and away... Not just rely on big home points cos as we've seen, when that doesn't happened... We're buggered!! 

Spot on , I said much the same to a friend at the Poole meeting, there's no way Peter would have produced a track like that against a team who are used to ridding on tracks with very little dirt on them 

39 minutes ago, Bandits4eva said:

track is that slick no need for rakes tractors go around shale is about 2ft deep against the fence years ago track staff would be pulling that across the track.

• Like 1