British Speedway Forum

Berwick 2023.

Very disappointed with the Berwick fans around me who cheered as Paul Starke went head first into the safety fence and looked to be in some discomfort. Quotes such as 'serves you right' 'even stevens' and 'that's what you get' were the things I heard. Yes Paul may have taken Connor Coles off a few races prior and Connor was unfairly excluded for it, but shouting things such as that to a rider who is down on the track potentially seriously hurt is disgusting. Although this is what I've come to expect from the Berwick fans, so it's hardly surprising... Always were like that when they visited Brough. Few baduns spoil it for the rest I know. Luckily Paul wasn't seriously hurt and very nearly won heat 14, if it weren't for Schlein's wonderful pass (which seems to be a rare occurrence at Shielfield these days?)

This was my first speedway meeting for a while and probably will be my last until next year now, very dull, very little passing, experienced riders struggling to get round, and missing half the race because I'm busy picking dust out of my eyes all the time.

NDL meeting was actually quite good though, other than the stricken riders, (Did Max Perry's helmet come off when he came down??? It was hard to tell from the 3rd bend) Ashton Boughen is special.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bandit59 said:

Entry X2 programmes X2 fish supper X2 well in excess of 130 miles round trip not quite Paris.

Entry X1 programme X1, 130 miles of fuel then. You can’t include other people’s costs and food costs for god sake. No reason why you can’t eat at home rather than getting a takeaway and including it in the cost of speedway. You choose for your trip to cost £100. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Entry X1 programme X1, 130 miles of fuel then. You can’t include other people’s costs and food costs for god sake. No reason why you can’t eat at home rather than getting a takeaway and including it in the cost of speedway. You choose for your trip to cost £100. 

Must be a Scottish thing paying for the wife contrary to the belief.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Barabas said:

I'm a glasgow fan we don't win everything I'm sure Poole do that so how is he glory hunting ? He goes to ashfield to see good speedway that's allowed 

Surely you can understand that going from Berwick CALLING HIMSELF a 'fan' but not going to contribute financially to even try and support the club but then moving onto watching Glasgow, a club who at the moment is a lot more successful and paying to support them is clearly glory hunting? He is literally hunting glory, to me thats no fan. Berwick deserves better...

11 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

Understand the sentiment and I go way back to the days of Rayleigh on a Saturday night and towards the end of a meeting listening to the results from the other Saturday night tracks. Early 1970’s when characters graced the sport (Doug Templeton, Dingle Brown, Geoff Maloney etc.) and you looked forward to Saturday night racing. Where has all gone wrong? I really do not know but you can probably point the finger of blame at so many in the sports governing body but back in the day Berwick was a stalwart notwithstanding and it was always great to see the team grace the Weir raceway. Do not give up or allow it to disappear. Too many clubs have gone by the wayside. I live too far away to follow the Bandits by turning up on a Saturday night but I still want a club with such a heritage continue. Keep the faith.

I’m a Rye House fan, have been since 1985, so I’ve seen my share of rubbish teams, as well as league title winning sides (2005 & 2007). I had the privilege of seeing Tai race in Rockets colours as a 17 year old, a remarkable talent. My missus is a die hard Bandit fan, always has been, but her patience has been severely tested this season.  
We both have seasons passes, and if it wasn’t for the fact that we live 2 minutes from the track we probably wouldn’t go to every meeting, that’s how down she is about the team she’s been watching for over 30 years. 
Despite being a die hard Rocket I’ve bought the Bandits merch and contribute to the monthly supporters club, who in turn help out the speedway club financially. I don’t want to see the Bandits fold, but with dwindling crowds and rising costs I fear there will be no speedway at Berwick next year. 
We used to look forward to our Saturdays at the speedway, but nowadays it’s become a bit of a chore “how many are we losing by this week?”

I suspect… well I know… we’re not the only ones. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Shadders said:

I’m a Rye House fan, have been since 1985, so I’ve seen my share of rubbish teams, as well as league title winning sides (2005 & 2007). I had the privilege of seeing Tai race in Rockets colours as a 17 year old, a remarkable talent. My missus is a die hard Bandit fan, always has been, but her patience has been severely tested this season.  
We both have seasons passes, and if it wasn’t for the fact that we live 2 minutes from the track we probably wouldn’t go to every meeting, that’s how down she is about the team she’s been watching for over 30 years. 
Despite being a die hard Rocket I’ve bought the Bandits merch and contribute to the monthly supporters club, who in turn help out the speedway club financially. I don’t want to see the Bandits fold, but with dwindling crowds and rising costs I fear there will be no speedway at Berwick next year. 
We used to look forward to our Saturdays at the speedway, but nowadays it’s become a bit of a chore “how many are we losing by this week?”

I suspect… well I know… we’re not the only ones. 

I was speaking to you after the Redcar match both saying it had been a good meeting and what a difference in Leon managing to hold second place in heat 15 to give us the win, compared to his puncture in heat 15 previously and you proudly had your Rockets cap on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bandit59 said:

I was speaking to you after the Redcar match both saying it had been a good meeting and what a difference in Leon managing to hold second place in heat 15 to give us the win, compared to his puncture in heat 15 previously and you proudly had your Rockets cap on.

Seeing Steve Boxall in Luke Bowens old Rye House kevlars brought a lump to my throat 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Kevin Little on British Speedway Network that he track played into Brummies hands,you have to ask who prepared the track.It’s been very slick the last few weeks .

I remember coming up on Rockets tours in the mid 2000’s onwards and dreading the place. I assume most visiting riders felt the same. Nowadays it’s help yourself. 
I can recall standing on the track on the third/fourth bend banking where it was a foot deep. 

Watching the Bullets meeting how good is Ashley Boughen won one of his rides in the same time as Lawson in the main meeting. 

• Like 2

Now that the dust has settled (literally in the bottom of my shower).... That was not an enjoyable night at all!

Shielfield Park used to be a fortress...now the only team that seem to struggle regularly are the home team. Very little dirt and what was there was a matter of 2-3 feet from the safety fence! 

If, as someone mentioned earlier, Kevin little is quoted as saying that the track suited the Brummies more, then as team manager what the hell is he going to do about it!! Give our team a track they can do something with! Saying that and not acting upon it is a bit of a slap in the face to those fans attending! 

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I can cope with losing if I'm at least being entertained in the process! But that last night was hard to watch!! (From what could be seen) 

The concrete base was visible from very early on... Yes, I understand the football was on and obviously not much time for on the day track prep but what about the rest of the week! We've had warmish weather in Berwick all week leading up to that and even yesterday, in between the drizzle, it was still warm! 

Glasgow next week are going to give us a proper arse kicking... I said to the hubby last night I genuinely don't think we will win another meeting this year....

There is a group of die hard fans at Berwick that are losing patience... A group that would travel the length and breadth of the country to watch their team... a group that are now finding home meetings a struggle...They are the group of people you can't afford to lose...

And I thought 2007 would not be repeated! :sad:

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Normski said:

Watching the Bullets meeting how good is Ashley Boughen won one of his rides in the same time as Lawson in the main meeting. 

Let me take a guess my Crystal ball tells me he will be in Poole colours next year and who would blame him every one wants to be a winner after all.

43 minutes ago, Bandits4eva said:

Now that the dust has settled (literally in the bottom of my shower).... That was not an enjoyable night at all!

Shielfield Park used to be a fortress...now the only team that seem to struggle regularly are the home team. Very little dirt and what was there was a matter of 2-3 feet from the safety fence! 

If, as someone mentioned earlier, Kevin little is quoted as saying that the track suited the Brummies more, then as team manager what the hell is he going to do about it!! Give our team a track they can do something with! Saying that and not acting upon it is a bit of a slap in the face to those fans attending! 

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I can cope with losing if I'm at least being entertained in the process! But that last night was hard to watch!! (From what could be seen) 

The concrete base was visible from very early on... Yes, I understand the football was on and obviously not much time for on the day track prep but what about the rest of the week! We've had warmish weather in Berwick all week leading up to that and even yesterday, in between the drizzle, it was still warm! 

Glasgow next week are going to give us a proper arse kicking... I said to the hubby last night I genuinely don't think we will win another meeting this year....

There is a group of die hard fans at Berwick that are losing patience... A group that would travel the length and breadth of the country to watch their team... a group that are now finding home meetings a struggle...They are the group of people you can't afford to lose...

And I thought 2007 would not be repeated! :sad:

Even Dick Barrie didn’t venture over to the third bend last night, fearing going home covered in dust 

11 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Youve got Rory Scheiln in your side, do you really expect anything other than a super slick track?! Come on now. 

There's slick.... But that last night was as "bald as a nuns chuff"... Even he couldn't do too much on it!! 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Normski said:

He done a British youth round at nss and he had times quicker than some in main meeting including brady kurtz, he's impressive 

13 hours ago, Hamster00 said:

I’m not normally a fan of the use it or lose it argument but if you aren’t paying the entry fee week in week out and just choose to complain on the forum, what are you actually achieving? Pay your money and try to be part of the solution, not the problem.

Only missed the double header with Scorpions before last night so paying most meetings