British Speedway Forum

Scunthorpe 2023

14 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Personally would of thought Auty was nailed on with a low average for his potential to score big points at home and the occasional good meeting away

Good god lets hope not!! Auty and Lambert in the same team would be an awful start 

1 hour ago, Paul Johnson said:

if its 40 points to build to then yes

Think your bang on the money or very close to the side , Jake didn’t finish the season well but is a steal on his average ,also Rob is very loyal and will be next season and Zaine was going well before his nasty crash ,also think we will always have one strong reserve which will be good

14 hours ago, Marksman said:

Looks like whoever set up the new Scorpions Instagram account has already revealed the 7 riders by following them all…

EE8FA306-F220-4E46-A443-D2EB1B9D159E.jpeg

I would be happy with this 7 but it is obviously a "red herring" as Joe Thompson is our first rider.

29 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

I would be happy with this 7 but it is obviously a "red herring" as Joe Thompson is our first rider.

This side that was followed on the new Instagram is just over 40 points and if you swap Thompson for Roynon it’s just under 40 points so there’s every chance the other 6 are 2023 Scorpions 

Edited by Ryan555

On 11/8/2022 at 7:42 AM, Ryan555 said:

If he gets going at the EWR I see no reason why he can’t put at least a point on the 3.00 average he’s currently on 

Not sure I'd agree with that. Joe's average at Leicester was 5.62 (6.64), while away from home he was 1.94 (2.71). So scoring well at Scunny isn't what's needed to up his average imo.

Also depends if he rides at 6 or 7, Scunny always put their strongest reserve at 7, Joe at 6 may only meet a reserve in one or two races, so even if the league has weaker number 6s he wouldn't meet them often!

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Not sure I'd agree with that. Joe's average at Leicester was 5.62 (6.64), while away from home he was 1.94 (2.71). So scoring well at Scunny isn't what's needed to up his average imo.

Also depends if he rides at 6 or 7, Scunny always put their strongest reserve at 7, Joe at 6 may only meet a reserve in one or two races, so even if the league has weaker number 6s he wouldn't meet them often!

A change of track will help him improve for sure and think the brothers will spanner for each other durning the season along with their father so plenty help around them 

• Like 3

I had Joe T down in my permutations so pleased with his signing. He did have some good shows round Leicester last season. He knows the way round Scunny , so a 3.00 average leaves room to up it in 2023. 

I have heard that a former Scunny rider could be back. MPT would be a steal on 6.76 at this level. While Jake is also very handy on 6.30. 

Ryans is a must to "the business" of Scunthorpe Speedway. Hes an outstanding No1 and close to being the leagues top man. 

I will not be alone in hoping to see Zaine Kennedy back again. He was just showing good form, then the "big off". Great to watch round Scunny and on 4.27 room for more. 

I would be tempted to go for Conor Mountain with Leicester going Prem. 4.84 is value and hes another that goes well at the EWR. A developing talent. 

So 

Ryan 9.38, Jake 6.30, MPT 6.76, Zaine 4.27, Conor M 4.84, Joe T 3.00 = 34.55. 

That would leave 7.45 if we are working to a 42 limit ? Thats a decent number to bring in a "biggish hitter" at this level to back Ryan. 

I do think we have to bring in a rider who can be a big scorer particularly away to support Ryan. Kyle Howarth would be perfect for me but on 8.88 would tip us over a 42 limit. 

Lets see.