British Speedway Forum

Scunthorpe 2023

Thought I'd start this off, as other clubs have a thread started..

For me, I'd keep 4 of the 2022 side - Douglas, Allen, Lambert and Kennedy and then bring in three new faces..

With the Lions moving up, Howarth and Mountain potential candidates for the EWR??

Who knows what the silly season will bring 

Palin doesn't know if he's riding yet, still not right after his brain injury. 

Douglas good number 1

Allen could put a point on his average.

I would give Zaine another season he was good when at reserve.

Don't mind Lambet but I wouldn't build the team round him

Mountain would be a good rider to get on his low average.

What is James Wrights average compared to Lamberts? Wright is a much better shout.. wouldnt be to fussed on Allen to be honest

not sure on Average but around the below would be decent 

1. Douglas

2. Wright  / D Thompson 

3. Kennedy

4. Mountain 

5. Howarth 

6. Rowe 

7. Gilkes ( wishful thinking) 

19 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

What is James Wrights average compared to Lamberts? Wright is a much better shout.. wouldnt be to fussed on Allen to be honest

1. Douglas

2. Wright  / D Thompson 

3. Kennedy

4. Mountain 

5. Howarth 

6. Rowe 

No Jordan Palin in the side then.

12 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

For me, I'd keep 4 of the 2022 side - Douglas, Allen, Lambert and Kennedy and then bring in three new faces..

With the Lions moving up, Howarth and Mountain potential candidates for the EWR??

That’s the same 4 I would keep

Douglas would, hopefully be our no1. He has just had his best season so why change things if not broken. Stay at Wolves to gain more technical experience & Poland, where he averaged just about7.5 in Liga2 in top 20. He could move up to Liga1, still riding Sat/Sun.

Pickering as our no2, even though a lot of points taken up he is a genuine top rider at the EWR & scores points away.

Allen rumoured to be Redcar bound, again, & Tero with his issues, do we go for another year. He scores well at home & did improve on his away form, which was not hard seeing as he had a nightmare in 2021.

Kennedy must be a deffo, also, on his low average scoring well at the EWR.& would pay for his GoFund IF he remained a Scorpion. Had his first spin last weekend in a Darcy Ward meeting, blowing off the cobwebs where he did well where his brother Declan won the meeting. Another Aussie, Tate Ziscke did well & has been doing well down under,

Wright scored well at the EWR keeping better riders behind him so would he be worth another year.

Lambo has been an excellent captain but with the averages being based on their last 10 league meetings, helping Kennedy but disadvantaging Lambo at 6.2.

Rowe seemingly recovered from his troublesome knee, scored well for us but, again, his average jumped up to the dodgy area of resigning at 5.27.

It will be interesting this year if Rob goes down a similar line of EWR great/good riders or pick up a technical rider(Nicol) if he has got over injuries/confidence issues.

Howarth has said in this weeks SS that he has aspirations to ride abroad so Poland rather than Denmark/Sweden might beckon with his PL rides.

Could Steve Worrall come back for another go as Poole & Leicester will make changes.

The British riders get reductions on averages & there is talk of reducing the initial team limit of 42 down to 40 or possibly lower.

3 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Douglas would, hopefully be our no1. He has just had his best season so why change things if not broken. Stay at Wolves to gain more technical experience & Poland, where he averaged just about7.5 in Liga2 in top 20. He could move up to Liga1, still riding Sat/Sun.

Pickering as our no2, even though a lot of points taken up he is a genuine top rider at the EWR & scores points away.

Allen rumoured to be Redcar bound, again, & Tero with his issues, do we go for another year. He scores well at home & did improve on his away form, which was not hard seeing as he had a nightmare in 2021.

Kennedy must be a deffo, also, on his low average scoring well at the EWR.& would pay for his GoFund IF he remained a Scorpion. Had his first spin last weekend in a Darcy Ward meeting, blowing off the cobwebs where he did well where his brother Declan won the meeting. Another Aussie, Tate Ziscke did well & has been doing well down under,

Wright scored well at the EWR keeping better riders behind him so would he be worth another year.

Lambo has been an excellent captain but with the averages being based on their last 10 league meetings, helping Kennedy but disadvantaging Lambo at 6.2.

Rowe seemingly recovered from his troublesome knee, scored well for us but, again, his average jumped up to the dodgy area of resigning at 5.27.

It will be interesting this year if Rob goes down a similar line of EWR great/good riders or pick up a technical rider(Nicol) if he has got over injuries/confidence issues.

Howarth has said in this weeks SS that he has aspirations to ride abroad so Poland rather than Denmark/Sweden might beckon with his PL rides.

Could Steve Worrall come back for another go as Poole & Leicester will make changes.

The British riders get reductions on averages & there is talk of reducing the initial team limit of 42 down to 40 or possibly lower.

Keep yer mitts off Tate - I believe his immediate career path is well and truly mapped out!!!;)

4 hours ago, phillipsr said:

1. Douglas

2. Wright  / D Thompson 

3. Kennedy

4. Mountain 

5. Howarth 

6. Rowe 

With Edinburgh closing perhaps this side could make up the class of Scunthorpe 2023:

1.   Douglas

2.   Wright

3.   Thomson (Kye)

4.   Kennedy

5.   Pickering

6.   Rowe

7.   Hook

5 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

With Edinburgh closing perhaps this side could make up the class of Scunthorpe 2023:

1.   Douglas

2.   Wright

3.   Thomson (Kye)

4.   Kennedy

5.   Pickering

6.   Rowe

7.   Hook

If points limit is 38, you really want Dougie and Josh?Their averages are 9.38 and 8.92! Potentially half the points used. And I just realised talking to a Glasgow fan haha.

@IronScorpion it is a lot of points to use up! Hopefully there be a rule banning anyone with 9 point average as they don't need this league and not fair on NL riders moving up. 

Edited by lisa-colette
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

I hope not, didn't have that good a season but is capable of putting something on his 6.30 average?

End of season averages, but I think British riders get a 2.5% reduction.......

Ryan Douglas 9.38 

2 Jake Allen  6.30 

3 Tero Aarnio  7.55 

4 Simon Lambert  5.33 

5 James Wright  5.38

6 Anders Rowe 5.21

7 Adam Roynon 3.67

Ryan Kinsley2.13 

Jordan Palin 4.78

Zaine Kennedy 4.27

Ryan Douglas, Jake Allen, Simon Lambert, Zaine Kennedy, Connor Mountin, Adam Roynan and either Palin/kasper Andersen would fit under 38points.

21 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

How about Auty back at Scunthorpe. 

19 hours ago, eric i said:

I hope not, didn't have that good a season but is capable of putting something on his 6.30 average?

End of season averages, but I think British riders get a 2.5% reduction.......

Ryan Douglas 9.38 

2 Jake Allen  6.30 

3 Tero Aarnio  7.55 

4 Simon Lambert  5.33 

5 James Wright  5.38

6 Anders Rowe 5.21

7 Adam Roynon 3.67

Ryan Kinsley2.13 

Jordan Palin 4.78

Zaine Kennedy 4.27

Ryan Douglas, Jake Allen, Simon Lambert, Zaine Kennedy, Connor Mountin, Adam Roynan and either Palin/kasper Andersen would fit under 38points.

That's a pretty weak team with Aarnio the number 3 rider imo. Why not Kye Thomson as your number 3 and someone new like Kevin Juhl Pedersen or Anton Karlsson on 5 point averages as your 2 and 4?