British Speedway Forum

POOLE 2023

30 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

After all the mud slinging last season when Steve Lawson jumped ship after initially agreeing to sign for Plymouth you might have thought lessons would have been learnt!   

Not so it would appear, if rumours are true it look's like the same thing has happened this time with Adam Roynon, shame on you Adam & Poole. We await all the excuses but facts are facts.

I think you might mean Richard....

On 1/1/2023 at 7:23 PM, steve roberts said:

As a matter of interest when were bonus points not included in the overall CMA?

The reason I remember is because Daniel Nermark signed for Edinburgh in 2005 on some stupidly high converted average, around 11.34.

He was one of the most frustrating riders I've ever had the misfortune to watch, home and away, and finished the season a smidgen over 8 (8.06?)

It was during that winter when the powers that be decided to exclude bonus points from the team building averages / green sheets, thus lowering DN to 6.74 or thereabouts (I'd need to check my spreadsheet for the exact figures, but it's not exactly important).

He left the Monarchs and signed for KL alongside, from memory, the likes of Tomas Topinka, Kevin Doolan and a very young Troy Batchelor. I'm sure Mr Bagpuss will tell me if I've got any of those wrong.

Of course, after being next to useless in our colours, he suddenly became untouchable around all UK second tier circuits, and the Stars ran away with the league title by the proverbial mile :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, King Jamie said:

The reason I remember is because Daniel Nermark signed for Edinburgh in 2005 on some stupidly high converted average, around 11.34.

He was one of the most frustrating riders I've ever had the misfortune to watch, home and away, and finished the season a smidgen over 8 (8.06?)

It was during that winter when the powers that be decided to exclude bonus points from the team building averages / green sheets, thus lowering DN to 6.74 or thereabouts (I'd need to check my spreadsheet for the exact figures, but it's not exactly important).

He left the Monarchs and signed for KL alongside, from memory, the likes of Tomas Topinka, Kevin Doolan and a very young Troy Batchelor. I'm sure Mr Bagpuss will tell me if I've got any of those wrong.

Of course, after being next to useless in our colours, he suddenly became untouchable around all UK second tier circuits, and the Stars ran away with the league title by the proverbial mile :rolleyes:

And the Cup and Trophy. Clean sweep.

Nermark

Harding

Doolan

Batchelor

Topinka

Mills

Oliver

BOOM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

That is the bandwagon I'm afraid FB. If it makes them feel better then it is up to them. 

Who cares if it is underhand? It's a business, and that ruthless approach is one of the reasons that has made Poole so successful over the years (as much as I hate to admit it).

It's as much Plymouth's fault as it is Poole's if they can't keep hold of a rider. If it was illegal I'm sure Plymouth would have been straight down to their lawyers.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Who cares if it is underhand? It's a business, and that ruthless approach is one of the reasons that has made Poole so successful over the years (as much as I hate to admit it).

It's as much Plymouth's fault as it is Poole's if they can't keep hold of a rider. If it was illegal I'm sure Plymouth would have been straight down to their lawyers.

At the end of the day money talks and Poole are in the fortunate position of being able to offer more than most. Good luck to them.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, paulboy said:

At the end of the day money talks and Poole are in the fortunate position of being able to offer more than most. Good luck to them.

What 'fortunate position' is that then? Oh yes, being able to guarantee that riders will be paid on time and as per contract! Thats why riders want to ride for Poole.

Shouldn't every club be aiming to do the same?!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bojangles said:

The Plymouth 'Infamy, Infamy, they've all got it in for me' Gladiators!!:rofl::nono:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

What 'fortunate position' is that then? Oh yes, being able to guarantee that riders will be paid on time and as per contract! Thats why riders want to ride for Poole.

Poole fans really are a strange bunch. There was no criticism intended, lighten up man lol

• Like 1

This kind of thing has always gone on and always will do, gentleman's agreements will get broken when self employed tradesmen get offered a slightly better deal by somebody else. Rankles when it's your own team but it's part of speedway.

Everyone knows Poole can offer more than most, seems to offend the south coast mafia on here though which is slightly odd. Nothing to be ashamed of.

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

The Plymouth 'Infamy, Infamy, they've all got it in for me' Gladiators!!:rofl::nono:

So are you trying to say Plymouth riders aren’t paid on time? 

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

This kind of thing has always gone on and always will do, gentleman's agreements will get broken when self employed tradesmen get offered a slightly better deal by somebody else. Rankles when it's your own team but it's part of speedway.

Everyone knows Poole can offer more than most, seems to offend the south coast mafia on here though which is slightly odd. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Because there are plenty of examples when this is not the case. And by the way we moved down to save money so hardly going to splash the cash. People thinking we would is odd! :rolleyes:

But other fans only say it because they don't like that other riders might want to ride for Poole and it makes them feel better, not because there is actually any truth in what they are saying. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Because there are plenty of examples when this is not the case. And by the way we moved down to save money so hardly going to splash the cash. People thinking we would is odd! :rolleyes:

But other fans only say it because they don't like that other riders might want to ride for Poole and it makes them feel better, not because there is actually any truth in what they are saying. 

'Splashing the cash' isn't the same as 'paying more than most'. I'd have thought moving down would allow you to continue paying more than most as well as maintaining your race night. And I think people probably say that Poole pay more than most because that's the case  it stands to reason as one of the best supported and sponsored clubs in the UK.

The notion that Poole are one of the only ones to pay on time is a poor argument too (not your suggestion on thos thread I know). Most do and I'm sure that includes Plymouth.

• Like 2