British Speedway Forum

POOLE 2023

5 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Nice to see a good few of us still alive who can share the memory.

Even remember a very young Middlo riding there back in the day. Oh happy days back there in the early - mid and late seventies. Even though we struggled a plenty due to good old Len Silver not wanting to spend on the bigger stars :rolleyes:

Notice i mentioned Middlo's name to keep us kind of on the Poole subject ;)

Went to Hackney every time Poole were the visitors as it's only up the road and when Super Simmo used to guest for Hackney which he did more than once,excellent track but car park was difficult as unless you got there early you all parked in rows and could not move till all in front moved but good times and they had some entertaining rider Zenon Plech and Bo Petersen to name but a few.

6 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Thanks for the defence HG, but I think Steve and me have kept it amicable after his other reply and my subsequent response.

Yes I do tend to go on about Tate to the point of obsession and time will tell if my view on him proves correct.

Hopefully if Poole finances allow some time in the future we may see him at Poole and at 17 (18 on 30th July), plenty of time for that and who knows by then we may even be back in Prem Lge, but that discussion is for another day. I will let others comment on that in the future if and when the rumours are strong enough going forward.

How dare you express your opinion on a forum about speedway with regards to speedway riders, you’ve been told who the team is and your not allowed to speak again until Steve says so!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Essex said:

Went to Hackney every time Poole were the visitors as it's only up the road and when Super Simmo used to guest for Hackney which he did more than once,excellent track but car park was difficult as unless you got there early you all parked in rows and could not move till all in front moved but good times and they had some entertaining rider Zenon Plech and Bo Petersen to name but a few.

Remember it well as was born and brought up in Hackney.

Remember Simmo well as he visited Hackney as a rider for Poole/K.Lynn/Wimbledon/Swindon  and even for Hackney Kestrels during the period 1971 when I first went and 1987. Plech was a real crowd pleaser.

Got to see Bo Petersen first Hackney meeting at White City and also in the return leg at Hackney in the evening.

Yes very happy days when I got to see all the local London tracks as well as those within an easy commute. Have a couple of boxes in the loft of programs from the 70/80/90's as well as Speedway Stars from the period plus a couple of program Boards.

Fair to say i was well and truly hooked even when I got married in 1975.

Anyway apologies for the memories and back over to the Poole 2023 forum ;)

10 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

How dare you express your opinion on a forum about speedway with regards to speedway riders, you’ve been told who the team is and your not allowed to speak again until Steve says so!!!!

Behave cast1m :D

We are all good which is the important thing.

Maybe I have been a bit heavy on comments regarding Tate but time will tell ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Thanks for the defence HG, but I think Steve and me have kept it amicable after his other reply and my subsequent response.

Yes I do tend to go on about Tate to the point of obsession and time will tell if my view on him proves correct.

Hopefully if Poole finances allow some time in the future we may see him at Poole and at 17 (18 on 30th July), plenty of time for that and who knows by then we may even be back in Prem Lge, but that discussion is for another day. I will let others comment on that in the future if and when the rumours are strong enough going forward.

He basically disrespected you twice and you ended up saying “thanks” to him! You write what you want to write about, it’s not his own personal forum or thread. 

• Like 5

So far so good apart from Danny king going, thought after announcing Jack Thomas they would go in riding order and they have so I’d assume Kyle Newman next,great to see Lawson back a big hitter in this league capable of beating anyone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lewy said:

Lawson is a great signing most consistent rider in the league hardly ever has a bad meeting, just wonder if the coming season he maybe less focused on the championship and put more attention and effort into riding in Poland. I sincerely hope so.

I think Lawson will be focused what ever league he's riding in 

Very strange time to announce for a Club so allegedly media and maximum exposure savvy. 

New Year's Day 

Bank Holiday tomorrow. 

PL matches today and EFL tomorrow that will dominate local Media for next 2 to 3 days. 

I'd expect your No 1 to have the gravitatas to expect better than that. 

19 minutes ago, HGould said:

Very strange time to announce for a Club so allegedly media and maximum exposure savvy. 

New Year's Day 

Bank Holiday tomorrow. 

PL matches today and EFL tomorrow that will dominate local Media for next 2 to 3 days. 

I'd expect your No 1 to have the gravitatas to expect better than that. :unsure:

Sure I read somewhere that Dan Rose is leaving the Bournemouth Echo. Maybe he wants to cover the announcements before he goes? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Sure I read somewhere that Dan Rose is leaving the Bournemouth Echo. Maybe he wants to cover the announcements before he goes? 

Sadly so many excellent local print journalists who supported speedway in their localities have vanished in the past decade and not been replaced. 

Many wrote for Speedway Star before the "Jack and Jill" corporate brigade arrived. 

Very few good local ones remain, we are lucky to have a chap called Richard Willford and Brian Dick who do what they can for Brummies and West Midland Sport. 

With the exception of Peter Oakes and Paul Burbidge in the Star very few proper writers remain. 

Edited by HGould
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, HGould said:

New Year's Day 

Bank Holiday tomorrow. 

I'd expect your No 1 to have the gravitatas to expect better than that. 

Lawson isn't number 1.  The signing is already online in the local Echo. Dan Rose left yesterday and it looks like Tom Crocker - another regular speedway reporter - is now covering Pirates.

Not sure why PL and EFL fixtures today and tomorrow are relevant? Cherries and Saints both played and lost yesterday and there are no EFL teams locally/regionally.

Danny Ford promised a New Years announcement and delivered accordingly.

• Like 4