British Speedway Forum

POOLE 2023

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Looking at the other teams, I seriously can’t see past us making it a hat trick of titles, injury dodging accepted. Think we are just going to be too strong again, though it could be tougher than this year. Experience at the top, the Cooks very likely to improve, Jack Thomas on a bargain average, and our experienced reserves who should see off the majority of their opposition fairly easily. Backed up by management who are very good at getting the best out of the riders. 

Happy New Year to all Pirates fans. I believe another successful season awaits. Is there another club in this league capable of giving us a proper challenge?

Absolutely deluded you crack me up 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

Very long statement for something which is tongue-in-cheek 

Or perhaps I meant it. ;)

No one knows what will happen. But happy with the touted team. 

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Or perhaps I meant it. ;)

No one knows what will happen. But happy with the touted team. 

The team is built very solid with no weak links, most of the riders are capable improving, some more than others. Worrall and Lawson may not but the others should, even if we have a dodgy start, history tells us that come the play offs we will usually be at our best. I don't know how Middlo does it but if there is a secret formula he has it. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 9:49 AM, szkocjasid said:

There's a real mixed bad of 3rd heat leaders this year, so is Cook is 3rd heat leader quality?

Lewis Kerr, Ben Barker & Charles Wright look the strongest. After that they are similar standards: Leon Flint, Kye Thomson, Tom Brennan, Ben Cook & Jake Allen. With only James Wright far weaker imo

So it appears Cook is on a par with the majority of 3rd heat leaders after all.

Yes Ben Cook is not yet on a par with Kerr, Barker or Charles Wright. But he is better than the others, though Brennan shows very good potential. With the ability he showed in the second half of last season and would pick him over all the others. He is very fast out of the gate and doesn’t give up. I would be disappointed if he didn’t achieve a 7.5 average next season. He has it in him.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

SS said, ‘He is very fast out of the gate and doesn’t give up’.

From what I have seen, he can be fast out of the gate but needs to find good starting consistency. Just look at the Championship Play-Off at Kings Lynn. Five starts and no good gates, but terrific from the back. He has the ability to be a top rider in the Championship if he improves his starting.

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Yes Ben Cook is not yet on a par with Kerr, Barker or Charles Wright. But he is better than the others, though Brennan shows very good potential. With the ability he showed in the second half of last season and would pick him over all the others. He is very fast out of the gate and doesn’t give up. I would be disappointed if he didn’t achieve a 7.5 average next season. He has it in him.

...which is what the majority of fans wish to see and not someone who doesn't bother if he misses the gate.