British Speedway Forum

POOLE 2023

7 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Maybe best to leave it and 'cross the bridge when we come to it' thinking about it. No point making a massive issue out of nothing. We need someone on the inside to see if Weds are being considered though! ;)

Why would Wednesdays being considered?

9 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

The Poole Stadium premises licence application is in today's Echo Public Notices pages.

The application for 'Live Music Outdoors' is for upto a maximum of 3 events per year on 'Saturdays only'! (The first of which is Sat 24th June 2023)

- Recorded music outdoors is 11.00 am to either 22.30 or 23.00 Mondays to Sundays.

- Exhibition Films outdoors is daily 11.00am to 02.30 am.

- Representations are open til 1st May 2023.

Maybe one could request to the BCP Licensing Team that none of the above should be considered on Wednesdays for the eight calendar months from March to October inc. in order not to affect the speedway?

OR maybe its best for Pirate fans to leave well alone in case it could lead to an unacceptable rental increase?!

29 minutes ago, weatherman said:

Why would Wednesdays being considered?

It is the Mon-Sun bit I highlighted. The chances of them choosing Weds? Prob low, but you just don't know. 

To me this seems fair enough, and I’d say good that they are looking at alternative uses for the stadium, rather than looking at shutting it down. I guess if you were applying for a license you would want it to cover as much as possible so you have the option. Speedway doesn’t run for almost half the year, or even every single Wednesday in the season. So if someone wanted to hire the place out you’d look a bit daft saying, ah yeah you can’t have your event on a Wednesday because we don’t have a license.

Stadiums need to have regular use to make them viable, 15 or 20 speedway fixtures a year is barely 3 weeks of the stadiums year, and I think this is a positive sign of interest in keeping it going in a way that accommodates speedway rather than the other way around. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IanBrannan said:

To me this seems fair enough, and I’d say good that they are looking at alternative uses for the stadium, rather than looking at shutting it down. I guess if you were applying for a license you would want it to cover as much as possible so you have the option. Speedway doesn’t run for almost half the year, or even every single Wednesday in the season. So if someone wanted to hire the place out you’d look a bit daft saying, ah yeah you can’t have your event on a Wednesday because we don’t have a license.

Stadiums need to have regular use to make them viable, 15 or 20 speedway fixtures a year is barely 3 weeks of the stadiums year, and I think this is a positive sign of interest in keeping it going in a way that accommodates speedway rather than the other way around. 

Well said Ian, the stadium landlords are a business and need to make a profit, which seems to miss a lot of Poole fans.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IanBrannan said:

No one said anything about shutting the stadium down! But it is no secret that stadia UK/GI don't like speedway being there imo.

But I will go along with this naive thinking for now. 

Edited by lisa-colette

21 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

No one said anything about shutting the stadium down! But it is no secret that stadia UK/GI don't like speedway being there. 

But I will go along with this naive thinking for now. 

Again where's the proof?  Stadium costs need to be covered by whoever rents the space.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Also the stadium was put in the 'regeneration' of Poole plans. When are they deciding on those plans @Skidder1 2024? So that is prob a bigger issue than this one. 

I believe the current Plan is due to be finalised and come into effect towards end of 2024 BUT will probably depend on results of local elections next month!! If there is a change of local political power then that is only likely to defer the plan for longer! As far as Poole Speedway is concerned I guess it's down to what acceptable stadium rental can be negotiated?!

As far as the premises licence application is concerned I suppose a possible worry is if a potential stadium hirer wants to put something on during the week including Wednesdays , March through October?!

Edited by Skidder1

6 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I believe the current Plan is due to be finalised and come into effect towards end of 2024 BUT will probably depend on results of local elections next month!! If there is a change of local political power then that is only likely to defer the plan for longer! As far as Poole Speedway is concerned I guess it's down to what acceptable stadium rental can be negotiated?!

As far as the premises licence application is concerned I suppose a possible worry is if a potential stadium hirer wants to put something on during the week including Wednesdays , March through October?!

But surely as Speedway has a signed contract then Wednesdays should be safe. Although everyone has a price.

2 minutes ago, weatherman said:

But surely as Speedway has a signed contract then Wednesdays should be safe. Although everyone has a price.

This is GI (Stadia uk) we are talking about. I believe the rental for 2024 (and beyond) still needs to be negotiated and agreed.

Logically surely Speedway should be SUPPORTING License Application for other Events and getting Poole Supporters to actively CAMPAIGN for it!

Stadium Owners want / need to increase Stadium use and Rentals!

Speedway CANNOT AFFORD to be sole income Stream as Rent would be impossible to afford, hence Poole Speedway are sounding out alternative options 

Surely Music / Entertainment Events will only act as Marketing opportunity for Speedway bring people in to Stadium who have no idea its there!

Speedway is fast becoming a 16 - 20 week a Year Sport, even if someone wanted to Hire Stadium for say a week, including Wednesday, Speedway could easily work around it. Race away fixtures at Oxford and Birmingham those weeks being blatantly obvious option.

Chance for Speedway to embrace these plans not oppose them, that's the wrong mentality.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

This is GI (Stadia uk) we are talking about. I believe the rental for 2024 (and beyond) still needs to be negotiated and agreed.

Rental agreement will always be negotiated yearly but doesn't mean speedway will be out on it's ear.

There are NDA's in place so things won't go public.

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Logically surely Speedway should be SUPPORTING License Application for other Events and getting Poole Supporters to actively CAMPAIGN for it!

Speedway CANNOT AFFORD to be sole income Stream as Rent would be impossible to afford, hence Poole Speedway are sounding out alternative options 

Surely Music / Entertainment Events will only act as Marketing opportunity for Speedway bring people in to Stadium who have no idea its there!

Speedway is fast becoming a 16 - 20 week a Year Sport, even if someone wanted to Hire Stadium for say a week, including Wednesday, Speedway could easily work around it. Race away fixtures at Oxford and Birmingham those weeks being blatantly obvious option.

Chance for Speedway to embrace these plans not oppose them, that's the wrong mentality.

Nobody is suggesting opposing the application. Merely thinking about the possible option of an amendment for Wednesdays during the speedway season March - October. For example, what would happen if a 3rd party wanted to hire the facility for the summer holidays?

As for the current rental I understand this was part of a 2 year (2022-23) agreement.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Totally agree with you, Speedway can't demand Wednesdays be left for them every week from March to October when they only have a minimum of 11 matches this year (will be more once Poole qualify for later rounds).

A multi-use stadium has to be the best chance of surviving!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Nobody is suggesting opposing the application. Merely thinking about the possible option of an amendment for Wednesdays during the speedway season March - October. For example, what would happen if a 3rd party wanted to hire the facility for the summer holidays?

As for the current rental I understand this was part of a 2 year (2022-23) agreement.

With respect though I think you're still slightly missing the point. 

If Speedway is told it can't use the Stadium for say 2 weeks solid on a few occasions but can still have access to fit in a full season, that's surely better than no Speedway at all. 

An Entertainment License may bring in Events that would want security of tenancy for very specific periods and that includes set up and clear up. 

The case to save Speedway may be that they have to be far more flexible than in the past. 

If they decamp to IOW, Eastbourne, Ringwood  or anywhere else it would be a massive upheaval and surely lose significant supporter base. 

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

Totally agree with you, Speedway can't demand Wednesdays be left for them every week from March to October when they only have a minimum of 11 matches this year (will be more once Poole qualify for later rounds).

A multi-use stadium has to be the best chance of surviving!

As long as they leave us a race night whatever day it is! 

57 minutes ago, HGould said:

With respect though I think you're still slightly missing the point. 

If Speedway is told it can't use the Stadium for say 2 weeks solid on a few occasions but can still have access to fit in a full season, that's surely better than no Speedway at all. 

An Entertainment License may bring in Events that would want security of tenancy for very specific periods and that includes set up and clear up. 

The case to save Speedway may be that they have to be far more flexible than in the past. 

If they decamp to IOW, Eastbourne, Ringwood  or anywhere else it would be a massive upheaval and surely lose significant supporter base. 

I think its important to recognise that the application is for a change to the Premises Licence ie. when and for how long they can serve alcohol.  It is NOT an application to change the terms of the lease to run the stadium. The lease still requires a minimum of 2 Sports and/or Leisure Activities.

Any talk of 'decamping to IOW or Eastbourne or wherever' is pure conjecture - or at worst simple $#!t stirring..

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1