British Speedway Forum

POOLE 2023

43 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

You didn't look very hard! ;) 2022 Scunny had r/r for him but in 2021 he got 6+1 for Redcar. He may have also been at Poole before then if he had a Prem place 2019 or earlier? 

I couldn’t be bothered trying to work out who he rode for in 2021 but reckoned he hadn’t been “no slouch” at Poole in 2022.

Jake looked a real prospect when he rode for Somerset but hasn’t really kicked on. Maybe 2023 will be the year he puts his slouchiness behind him and shows his true talent? 

• Like 1

I have nothing against Jake Allen but he is a journeyman third heat leader in the Championship. Not in the same class as Richard Lawson. Yes, on his home track he could pop out and beat Lawson but overall Lawson is a much more accomplished rider. 

I recall Allen having a couple of decent meetings at Poole when he was at reserve. But last season he was nowhere and didn’t get close to double figures if my brain remembers correctly.

Can’t really compare the two riders. When Allen rode for Somerset he looked like a talent about to break through but sadly it never materialised.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

I couldn’t be bothered trying to work out who he rode for in 2021 but reckoned he hadn’t been “no slouch” at Poole in 2022.

Jake looked a real prospect when he rode for Somerset but hasn’t really kicked on. Maybe 2023 will be the year he puts his slouchiness behind him and shows his true talent? 

Yeah, I couldn't remember who he rode for in 2021 either! :D But just went on confirmed 2021 signings thread ;)

A lot of the away riders don't like the grippy starts at Poole, so seems to give the home riders a head start. 

52 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I have nothing against Jake Allen but he is a journeyman third heat leader in the Championship. Not in the same class as Richard Lawson. Yes, on his home track he could pop out and beat Lawson but overall Lawson is a much more accomplished rider. 

I recall Allen having a couple of decent meetings at Poole when he was at reserve. But last season he was nowhere and didn’t get close to double figures if my brain remembers correctly.

Can’t really compare the two riders. When Allen rode for Somerset he looked like a talent about to break through but sadly it never materialised.

Mission impossible when he wasn't there ;)

13 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

He would want to be a more accomplished rider at his age and experience , it will be a compeditive year in 23, didn’t think there was much in it  but time will tell,looking foreward to poole/scunny matches, as always u guys hate to loose, up the scorpions in 23

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spiderman1 said:

He would want to be a more accomplished rider at his age and experience , it will be a compeditive year in 23, didn’t think there was much in it  but time will tell,looking foreward to poole/scunny matches, as always u guys hate to loose, up the scorpions in 23

I would back Lawson to beat Allen on any track, personally I think it's crazy to try to compare them.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Lawson certainly is nigh unbeatable in the Championship, so why doesn't his average reflect this?

Could it be a team building average! 

Yes along with his availability to guest on a lower average,seen him shut the throttle off near the finish line when he's leading his team mate home coming second still I believe gets paid a win very clever.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

In the early 2000’s Poole we’re regularly getting bigger crowds than AFC Bournemouth.

Yesterday, AFC Bournemouth spent over £80,000,000 (80 Million pounds) in the winter transfer window.

How things have changed.

Were Bournemouth in league one in that time though, so not surprising! Early 2000s we were prob getting 3-4k esp in summer hols. I remember 2k was considered a really low crowd!!