British Speedway Forum

POOLE 2023

On 1/21/2023 at 9:58 PM, szkocjasid said:

There's not actually that many clubs with 2.00 riders. 2 clubs have 2 x 2.00 riders, 3 clubs have one 2.00 rider, while 4 clubs have no 2.00 riders.

I would have thought our reserves would beat most of the other clubs reserves on a regular basis with possibly the exception of Scunthorpe .

8 hours ago, foreverblue said:

I would have thought our reserves would beat most of the other clubs reserves on a regular basis with possibly the exception of Scunthorpe .

actually think its quite an interesting match up man for man

Douglas - Worrall = Douglas

Allen - Lawson = Lawson 

MPT - Cook = MPT 

Mountain - Cook = Mountain 

Lambert - Thomas = about equal 

Kennedy - Newman = Kennedy 

Thompson - Roynon = Roynon 

I think its quite close between every rider though apart from Lawson/Allen 

3 hours ago, phillipsr said:

Allen - Lawson = Lawson 

MPT - Cook = MPT 

Yes difficult to assess but I would fancy Poole to win on aggregate.

47 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Me to oddly yet man for man id say Scunny currently look stronger across the team 

If the Cook Brothers ride like they did at the end of last season then I think Poole will be stronger, Roynon rode for Scunthorpe last season and had some good meetings, he could be a real bonus, home and away, always liked Adam, very approachable, had some terrible injuries and maybe doesn't take the risks he used to. 

5 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

I think Scunny will have the slight edge at home (even though I disagree that Mountain is better then Z.Cook!), but Poole will have a huge advantage at Wimborne Road!

Id say your right ...Z.Cook is slightly better  than Mountain......Poole will be up there again ....They know how to put a team together..

9 hours ago, foreverblue said:

If the Cook Brothers ride like they did at the end of last season then I think Poole will be stronger, Roynon rode for Scunthorpe last season and had some good meetings, he could be a real bonus, home and away, always liked Adam, very approachable, had some terrible injuries and maybe doesn't take the risks he used to. 

I consider Adam a friend of mine (was at my wedding etc) so im desperate for him to do well… basically him hitting a 7pt average and Poole finishing 8th would be the dream 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 5:38 PM, phillipsr said:

I consider Adam a friend of mine (was at my wedding etc) so im desperate for him to do well… basically him hitting a 7pt average and Poole finishing 8th would be the dream 

If he is your mate why do you want his team to finish at the bottom of the league,clearly that will never happen but I struggle to understand your  dislike for Poole speedway.I've read your posts and some are funny and realistic and some are well just controversial and this is a forum for real speedway fans.Poole are successful because they build teams to win,i wish all other clubs were able to build the same strength teams and the league would be more closer.Older fans will remember when riders were told what teams they could join to keep things equal.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Essex said:

If he is your mate why do you want his team to finish at the bottom of the league,clearly that will never happen but I struggle to understand your  dislike for Poole speedway.I've read your posts and some are funny and realistic and some are well just controversial and this is a forum for real speedway fans.Poole are successful because they build teams to win,i wish all other clubs were able to build the same strength teams and the league would be more closer.Older fans will remember when riders were told what teams they could join to keep things equal.

Seems the joke was lost on you wasnt it… 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/25/2023 at 7:01 PM, phillipsr said:

Allen - Lawson = Lawson 

MPT - Cook = MPT 

Going by averages should it not be?

MPT vs Lawson (Lawson)

Allen vs Cook (tougher to call, Allen now but Ben by end of the season)

Lambert vs Z.Cook (Cook)

Thomas vs Mountain (pretty equal)

On 1/26/2023 at 5:01 AM, phillipsr said:

Allen - Lawson = Lawson 

MPT - Cook = MPT 

Lawson had his best year ever last season,will be surprised if he has 2 good seasons in a row, Allen had an average year by his standards , I would have Allen any day for win around scunny and is no slouch around poole , on ag points , scunthorpe will be on top in my book, poole will struggle compared to last year

5 hours ago, Spiderman1 said:

Lawson had his best year ever last season,will be surprised if he has 2 good seasons in a row, Allen had an average year by his standards , I would have Allen any day for win around scunny and is no slouch around poole , on ag points , scunthorpe will be on top in my book, poole will struggle compared to last year

Lawson has been aTop rider in Championship for the 8- 10 years.Don’t know where you get your facts.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Spiderman1 said:

Lawson’s last three years’ averages (all averages taken from declarations at the beginning of next season) are something like 8.31 (2020) 8.40 (2021) and 7.97 (2022) allowing - I think - for Brits 2.5% reduction. Over the same three years, Allen has gone 7.28, 7.88, 6.14.

So Allen’s best is poorer than Lawson’s worst. And Lawson had his worst of the last three in 2022 not the best years in the last two.

In addition, I can’t see when Allen last rode at Poole to be “no slouch” there  I’m sure he must have in 2021 and/or 2022 but I’ve not found him!

Much will depend on injuries with both teams carrying riders who are injury prone but overall, I’d be stunned if Scunthorpe get as far as the play off finals though things would need to go horribly wrong for them not to make the play off mini leagues. Meanwhile, I can’t see beyond the Pirates making another finals appearance but maybe this time, Glasgow will come out on top?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Lawson’s last three years’ averages (all averages taken from declarations at the beginning of next season) are something like 8.31 (2020) 8.40 (2021) and 7.97 (2022) allowing - I think - for Brits 2.5% reduction. Over the same three years, Allen has gone 7.28, 7.88, 6.14.

So Allen’s best is poorer than Lawson’s worst. And Lawson had his worst of the last three in 2022 not the best years in the last two.

In addition, I can’t see when Allen last rode at Poole to be “no slouch” there  I’m sure he must have in 2021 and/or 2022 but I’ve not found him!

Much will depend on injuries with both teams carrying riders who are injury prone but overall, I’d be stunned if Scunthorpe get as far as the play off finals though things would need to go horribly wrong for them not to make the play off mini leagues. Meanwhile, I can’t see beyond the Pirates making another finals appearance but maybe this time, Glasgow will come out on top?

You didn't look very hard! ;) 2022 Scunny had r/r for him but in 2021 he got 6+1 for Redcar. He may have also been at Poole before then if he had a Prem place 2019 or earlier? 

45 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

You didn't look very hard! ;) 2022 Scunny had r/r for him but in 2021 he got 6+1 for Redcar. He may have also been at Poole before then if he had a Prem place 2019 or earlier? 

He did alright for Ipswich in 2019. 

5+1, 6 & 11 from no 7.

11, 2&6 from no 7 for Somerset in 2018.

6 & 5+1 from no7 for Somerset in 2017.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DJC said:

He did alright for Ipswich in 2019. 

5+1, 6 & 11 from no 7.

11, 2&6 from no 7 for Somerset in 2018.

6 & 5+1 from no7 for Somerset in 2017.

I had a feeling he may have been at Poole when we were in the Prem, but wasn't entirely sure when he first came over to England.