British Speedway Forum

POOLE 2023

9 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

The arrogance of some Poole fans is beyond  belief  , every team starts the season on or around  40 pts and it’s usually not how the promoters have picked there  sides it’s about which side has fewest injuries and if the do have riders missing then it’s down to picking the right guest . It’s a pity EddIe Kennett hasn’t recovered from his season ending injuries from last season  ???  . 
  Honestly looking forward to seeing some great matches at my home track Scunthorpe and hope all teams have success in which ever way that is and all 9 teams race again in 2024 and Workington join them in the championship to make 10 sides for 2024 . 
 We’re ever you are enjoy the racing and support Speedway or we will lose the Sport

It isn't arrogance iin my view, it is confidence our club has picked a good team that can compete and personally I think we have. Obviously if we are unlucky with injuries that won't be helpful, I didn't want King to leave but we have used the points to strengthen at reserve and with some teams having a 2 pointer, our reserves should be capable of winning alot of races especially at home. 

Edited by foreverblue
  • Like 1

Great team selection by Poole management, as always....

I think one of the advantages with Poole, is that they are a successful club, well supported, well organised and 'riders' want to sign/ride for a set-up like that.

Must be great for a rider to perform in front of a good atmosphere....surely that must squeeze that few percent more out of them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Roynon and Newman look like the strongest pairing initially but I'd be surprised if they are by the time we get to the Play Offs. Other teams reserves will develop or be replaced, perhaps Poole will have made changed by then too but if not you feel Roynon and Newman have a ceiling to how well they can do having been around a fair while now. 

I think its clever team building but might not prove to be the best method over eight months, time will tell 

10 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Are you taking the micky? "Royno" had agreed a deal to sign for Mark Phillips & Plymouth months ago, these things happen & sometimes come back to bite you - we shall see. 

I have no idea of Adam Roynons personal business dealings , thank you for your reply.

Just for the record I do not support Poole , I was only wishing him well for the coming season.

Still not sure this is that good of a side based on last season 

Look at the replacements 

King - B Cook …. Although he may step up will he be as solid as King was??

B Cook - Thomas … would love to see Jack  do well as that will help my club but I can’t see him doing what Cook did last season 

Kemp - Z Cook… would expect Zack at 4 to outscore what Kemp did last season

Z Cook - Newman … can’t see Kyle doing what Cook did

Ablitt - Roynon….. Roynon should get 4-5 most weeks 

Poole had to lose riders that was obvious and while 2 of those replacements (Cook at 4 and Roynon at 7) should do better the other 3 I think Poole are much weaker than last season 

The team will win nothing with that 1-7 but there will be changes and I expect Poole to be top 4 thus in play offs 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Look at the replacements 

B Cook - Thomas … would love to see Jack  do well as that will help my club but I can’t see him doing what Cook did last season 

Poole had to lose riders that was obvious and while 2 of those replacements (Cook at 4 and Roynon at 7) should do better the other 3 I think Poole are much weaker than last season 

The team will win nothing with that 1-7 but there will be changes and I expect Poole to be top 4 thus in play offs 

I think Danny Ford has taken the long game view.

With the new 2 point win and 1 point agg win over home & away it will be important to keep matches as close as possible to get that important agg point. No more racing away with the league with the 3 point system.

Also with 2 high scoring reserves it does open up more possibilities if one has a dip in form and they wanted to change to a rider of maybe better quality or one of those young riders from DK or Europe or an Aussie who are racing regular but never done UK who they could get on a 5. With so many weak/young and inexperienced reserves in the league this season, getting a 5 GSA is an easier possibility especially with home form.

Maybe they won't change but it gives more options than swapping say a 2 or 3 pointer. Very important when it comes to the business end of the season.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Are you taking the micky? "Royno" had agreed a deal to sign for Mark Phillips & Plymouth months ago, these things happen & sometimes come back to bite you - we shall see. 

Well that didn't take long, did it?!!  Anyone would think Adam was a Plymouth asset?!;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

Look at the replacements 

i think this side looks good bit injury prone at 6 and 7 so i expect changes as the season progress just my opinion of course .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

Look at the replacements 

Isn't everyone with the points limit going down! Although you could argue that Brum are stronger. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ray c said:

i think this side looks good bit injury prone at 6 and 7 so i expect changes as the season progress just my opinion of course .

It feels like the bottom 2 were put together as plan B after the talk of Newman not looking fit for the start of the season and his comments about possibly being his last season. 8 points felt like 2 newcomers were pencilled in. 

Newman will be fantastic at home when and if he can stay fit.

Roynon is the odd one for me, yes the average fits but cant help thinking he'll be out for a certain Aussie when he's declared fully fit...

All hinges on Thomas but as a previous poster pointed out, home wins and experience in the tail to pick up those bonus points away from home appears to be the plan. 

Edited by DJC
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Welcome to Poole Adam Roynon. Pirates have the best reserve pair in the league and they really should do very well against the majority of other teams 6 and 7. I have had a few good chats with Adam and he really is an approachable guy. The fans will like him a lot. Never fulfilled his early career expectations due to some horrendous injuries but if he rides to his ability we can expect 3-4 points a meeting from him. Doubt he will leave the reserve berth all season but will score. Might end up with sharing the reserve berth with Jack Thomas at the first set off GS. 

Can’t see past Poole making it a hat trick of titles. We look the best team through 1-7. While other clubs might have a better top three, they fall down in the second string or reserve berths. 

Both Worrall and Lawson will maintain their averages. The Cook brothers will definitely improve. Thomas might take a bit of time to dial in but looking at his scores last year for Oxford, he was very good until his injury. Might end up swapping with Kyle but that’s not bad news. Kyle knows the track and has a lot of experience. Should really clean up against other reserves and has the knowledge of all tracks. Can be injury prone though. And Adam might only get three rides to Kyle’s five, but will score more than Nathan last season. 

Of course injuries at any time could wreck a teams chances but if we stay fit, we really can make it three in a row.

Not sure about Thomas has been around a bit no real progress and Roynon isn’t going to improve,very poor at times.A lot riding on the Cooks IMO

Edited by Fromafar

2 hours ago, Gavan said:

Look at the replacements 

I'm no Poole fan but the reality is every team is a bit weaker than last year man for man thats what happens when the points limit drops... However i dont think its the strongest 1-7 out there currently and also dont quite buy into the strongest reserves (Kennedy and Thompson for me) even though average wise they might start as that but Poole will be there or there about's because they always are and if the 7 named dont ride well enough they will be changed 

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Not sure about Thomas has been around a bit no real progress and Roynon isn’t going to improve,very poor at times.A lot riding on the Cooks IMO

Thomas rode when far from fit at the end of last season. I'd put money on him improving his starting average

• Like 1