British Speedway Forum

POOLE 2023

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Ooooh, that a bit harsh! :nono:;)

Not really....looking through Poole's results, there is only one meeting that I can see where Ablitt's point/s prevented a defeat ? (Plymouth at home...)

Basically, Poole proved that you can win the title with 6 riders!

Edited by GiveusaB

23 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Not really....looking through Poole's results, there is only one meeting that I can see where Ablitt's point/s prevented a defeat ? (Plymouth at home...)

5 in most cases.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Incidentally...looking at the stats (coz I'm bored at work...) there was only 4 meetings where Ablitt wasn't replaced at some point.

So, if there's anything critical I could say about the Poole team ethics, which means nothing, you would've thought that considering the big margins that they often won by, Ablitt would've taken more rides, giving him more track time, helping his development? (just a thought...) it's all a matter of opinion of course ! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Incidentally...looking at the stats (coz I'm bored at work...) there was only 4 meetings where Ablitt wasn't replaced at some point.

So, if there's anything critical I could say about the Poole team ethics, which means nothing, you would've thought that considering the big margins that they often won by, Ablitt would've taken more rides, giving him more track time, helping his development? (just a thought...) it's all a matter of opinion of course ! :)

36 minutes ago, poole keith said:

Extra money for zach so he could pay for his lodgings perhaps lol

Tbf the changes happened in H8 rather than near the end of the meeting. So most times meeting could have gone either way at that point. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

They did it many years ago in the EL too, possibly Benji Compton as the make weight number seven? 

Hopefully someone on the forum knows the answer to this.

IF it is as assumed by many to be Roynon at number 7 - He is on 3.47 after Brit discount.

With so many weaker/inexperienced reserves in the Lge this season, there must be a good chance his GSA could well go to 5 or above when the first or second new  GSA's com into effect.

My question is that IF he were to rise to  a 5 I assume he would go into the main team if say Thomas (or say Z.Cook)  dropped below 5.

In that situation would Poole be able to replace him with a rider of the same av i.e a 5 or below or does the team still have to fall in total within the 40 point limit.

I assume same argument could apply to any team in Champ. Or is there a min time period before a rider can be changed and if so the same question applies.

Edited by STEVEHOLS54
add text

11 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Hopefully someone on the forum knows the answer to this.

IF it is as assumed by many to be Roynon at number 7 - He is on 3.47 after Brit discount.

With so many weaker/inexperienced reserves in the Lge this season, there must be a good chance his GSA could well go to 5 or above when the first or second new  GSA's com into effect.

My question is that IF he were to rise to  a 5 I assume he would go into the main team if say Thomas (or say Z.Cook)  dropped below 5.

In that situation would Poole be able to replace him with a rider of the same av i.e a 5 or below or does the team still have to fall in total within the 40 point limit.

I assume same argument could apply to any team in Champ. Or is there a min time period before a rider can be changed and if so the same question applies.

I’m sure the average used to replace a rider is his current average at the time of the replacement and not his 2023 starting average 

• Like 1

Interesting comment re the next round of the Aussie Championship posted on Speedway POL website in last 5/10 mins.

I read that as Ben and the others no competing in any of the remaining rounds but the translation on this site not always so clear.

Don't think Ben's injury was supposed to be serious but maybe enough to have shaken him up a bit and with such a big season coming up in Champ & Prem maybe he doesn't want to take any risks considering an unusually high number of riders have had injuries (some serious), and with some of the tracks not having inflatable barriers which have contributed to some bad ones, he wants not to risk anything.

Due to injury, the players are unable to continue the Championship. Bowes, Masters and Cook, who crashed at Gillman, have already retired from further competition.

1 minute ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Interesting comment re the next round of the Aussie Championship posted on Speedway POL website in last 5/10 mins.

I read that as Ben and the others no competing in any of the remaining rounds but the translation on this site not always so clear.

Don't think Ben's injury was supposed to be serious but maybe enough to have shaken him up a bit and with such a big season coming up in Champ & Prem maybe he doesn't want to take any risks considering an unusually high number of riders have had injuries (some serious), and with some of the tracks not having inflatable barriers which have contributed to some bad ones, he wants not to risk anything.

Due to injury, the players are unable to continue the Championship. Bowes, Masters and Cook, who crashed at Gillman, have already retired from further competition.

Hmm, yeah. Seems to be a lot of crashes in Aussie atm.

2 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

I’m sure the average used to replace a rider is his current average at the time of the replacement and not his 2023 starting average 

Interesting if true. More so this season with so many weaker reserves which will no doubt potentially artificially inflate some riders GSA's if only temporarily as pontentially the case with Roynon.

Also I see on twitter today an article confirming his BSN involvement for 2023 again plus a piece about his history.

8 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Hmm, yeah. Seems to be a lot of crashes in Aussie atm.

Ironic as well as it was another Poole asset who took him out when Kurtz crashed and went into him.

Shame if true as I am sure Ben would love to have had the chance in mixing it at least in the strongest Aussie Champ in quite some years. Never expected him to score too heavily but good experience for him and also meetings to help him stay in condition for the UK season.

Wouldn't blame him though as some of those injuries are nasty especially Rew who came possibly so close to a Darcy type injury after breaking some bones in his neck. Not helped by the track with no inflatable barriers. He's already said he will never race on a track without them again. Don't blame him. Could have cost him both his career and potentially his life :o

Edited by STEVEHOLS54
typo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

I have heard seperately that Ben Cook took a big bang to his head in the crash with Brady and is sitting out fixtures in the next few weeks to be on the safe side!

10 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Interesting if true. More so this season with so many weaker reserves which will no doubt potentially artificially inflate some riders GSA's if only temporarily as pontentially the case with Roynon.

Also I see on twitter today an article confirming his BSN involvement for 2023 again plus a piece about his history.

To also put this into perspective then.

You could see Roynon go from say 3.47 to say 5.5 purely due to beating weaker reserves regularly. In the main team he would probably creep back down to his truer av of around 3.5.

In that case Poole could well replace him with for example Max Ruml on 5.47 (just an example). So in effect play the system by swapping a 3.5 man with a rider who has a proven 2 point higher av based on real proven form.

I wonder how many teams will try similar although many with weak av will struggle to pull that one off.

I use Ruml just as an example but there are plenty of riders arguably stronger than Roynon you could use similarly as an example and also possible young Aussies or even foreign riders with Euro racing experience on a 5.

Suppose no wonder Roynon is/was in demand if others are/were thinking similar.