British Speedway Forum

POOLE 2023

6 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Interesting fact. Jack Thomas only ran 4 last places in 2022 on his home track. All four were against Poole. In the first meeting he had bike issues in his first two but came out with 8 from his last three. He then made an attempt to come back from his wrist injury in the B fixture which resulted in two last places before being withdrawn. 

Looks like a rider who once dialled in can be a real force on his home track. Needs more consistency away from home and if he stays clear of injury could be very popular quickly with Poole fans. A sub 5 average needs to be improved or he will be at reserve after the first GS. 

Actually think Thomas at reserve would be  a good thing.. can take more riders from there 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Interesting fact. Jack Thomas only ran 4 last places in 2022 on his home track. All four were against Poole. In the first meeting he had bike issues in his first two but came out with 8 from his last three. He then made an attempt to come back from his wrist injury in the B fixture which resulted in two last places before being withdrawn. 

Looks like a rider who once dialled in can be a real force on his home track. Needs more consistency away from home and if he stays clear of injury could be very popular quickly with Poole fans. A sub 5 average needs to be improved or he will be at reserve after the first GS. 

He had a season at Glasgow but It seemed to be plagued with bike issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I think that the team is built with solid reserves to  capitalise on other teams weaker reserves so I would think that there will be a bit of swapping between the number 2 and the reserves. There seems to be quite a few two pointers in other teams. Whether we can win another title I don't know but we definitely have a chance, a strong reserve is vital. Jack Thomas is a great signing in my opinion,if he stays injury free he can be a massive plus for us. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

I think that the team is built with solid reserves to  capitalise on other teams weaker reserves so I would think that there will be a bit of swapping between the number 2 and the reserves. There seems to be quite a few two pointers in other teams. Whether we can win another title I don't know but we definitely have a chance, a strong reserve is vital. Jack Thomas is a great signing in my opinion,if he stays injury free he can be a massive plus for us. 

Apart from Scunny. They probably match us on the reserves. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

So you made a lucky guess, not like you have any insider info lol. Oh and you got two wrong :D

........ & 90% of posters correctly assumed the top 4. :rolleyes:

PS, you know what is said about the word highlighted. ;)

6 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Fairly sure we would pick Newman over Bailey, Newman is injured now but it is only December so plenty of time to fully recover. 

Think Kyle has a recurring shoulder issue from memory.

Keeps popping out.

If he has to have the proper pinning op (like Kyle Howarth had) it's 4-6 months I think and he'd be off work too, when he was at Brummies he was Painting and Decorating I think, so not ideal to have to take so much time off.

Tough decision at his age and where his career is, as to whether to have to op or try to soldier on and let it recover by full rest.

20 hours ago, HGould said:

Keeps popping out.

If he has to have the proper pinning op (like Kyle Howarth had) it's 4-6 months I think and he'd be off work too, when he was at Brummies he was Painting and Decorating I think, so not ideal to have to take so much time off.

Tough decision at his age and where his career is, as to whether to have to op or try to soldier on and let it recover by full rest.

Kyle's painting and decorating is for one of his main sponsors, who is one of Poole's major sponsors and who has also worked on Matt's chateau!!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, HGould said:

Keeps popping out.

If Kyle participation in question then Bailey may not be a bad option. The Speedway Stats site gives a revealing insight on his development since joining Glasgow in 2019 as a 16/17 year old

His actual GSA for 2023 is 4.32 after the 2.5% reduction. However the stats are interesting taking all league and play off matches over the 3 seasons.

2019 - 26 matches - 2.72 or 3.36 incl bp

2020 the lost season

2021 - 21 matches - 4.27 or 5.26 incl bp

2022 - 29 matches - 5.04 or 5.81 incl bp

Even his one season in N/L for B.Vue 2 as a 16/17 year old was 7.28 or 8.05 incl BP

Some think maybe he is just a home track rider. Yes his av at Glasgow last season was 6.35 or 7.37 incl bp. BUT just consider those stats for a moment. A 4.32 GSA young rider who is not 21 until Aug 2023. He has improved his av in each of the 3 seasons he rode there. On a 6.35 av plus an addl bonus point on av each meeting at home. If he can adapt to Poole could be a good signing against so many 2 point and low av reserves.

If Poole are looking at young riders who can add to their average is this not a rider worth considering ?? Was also third in the British U21 Final in August.

He is also signed up to Sparta Wroclaw U24 Team for 2023.

Anyway for those who are interested in rider stats .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

If Kyle participation in question then Bailey may not be a bad option. The Speedway Stats site gives a revealing insight on his development since joining Glasgow in 2019 as a 16/17 year old

His actual GSA for 2023 is 4.32 after the 2.5% reduction. However the stats are interesting taking all league and play off matches over the 3 seasons.

2019 - 26 matches - 2.72 or 3.36 incl bp

2020 the lost season

2021 - 21 matches - 4.27 or 5.26 incl bp

2022 - 29 matches - 5.04 or 5.81 incl bp

Even his one season in N/L for B.Vue 2 as a 16/17 year old was 7.28 or 8.05 incl BP

Some think maybe he is just a home track rider. Yes his av at Glasgow last season was 6.35 or 7.37 incl bp. BUT just consider those stats for a moment. A 4.32 GSA young rider who is not 21 until Aug 2023. He has improved his av in each of the 3 seasons he rode there. On a 6.35 av plus an addl bonus point on av each meeting at home. If he can adapt to Poole could be a good signing against so many 2 point and low av reserves.

If Poole are looking at young riders who can add to their average is this not a rider worth considering ?? Was also third in the British U21 Final in August.

He is also signed up to Sparta Wroclaw U24 Team for 2023.

Anyway for those who are interested in rider stats .

Tend to agree,he has not progressed as fast as some but he is stylish and safe.Definitely best years still to come.Better rider tha average suggests. IMO

2 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Was there talk of a possible second announcement this week, with maybe another 2 announcements next week.

Thought I saw that on here from a couple of Forum contributors.

Announcements don't always mean team signings of course.

Thats what was in last week's Speedway Star, but Danny Ford made no further comment on signings in his Piratecast interview on Wednesday, other than explaining the decision to 'drip feed' the announcements because 'things can change', even though terms have been agreed with all 7 riders!!!

He recalled the Lawson announcement not happening til  lateJanuary 2022 because he wasn't available til then!!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Thats what was in last week's Speedway Star, but Danny Ford made no further comment on signings in his Piratecast interview on Wednesday, other than explaining the decision to 'drip feed' the announcements because 'things can change', even though terms have been agreed with all 7 riders!!!

He recalled the Lawson announcement not happening til  lateJanuary 2022 because he wasn't available til then!!

And following on from the Piratecast Danny mentioned a couple of guest's for the jubilee match so for a bit of fun and we all like to guess who's in and who's not then who do we think will be our guests against Leicester,I am looking towards the Holders,Kurtz or a long shot Magic as a one of he might fancy the gig.Anyone want to throw any other names into the hat ?.

7 hours ago, Essex said:

And following on from the Piratecast Danny mentioned a couple of guest's for the jubilee match so for a bit of fun and we all like to guess who's in and who's not then who do we think will be our guests against Leicester,I am looking towards the Holders,Kurtz or a long shot Magic as a one of he might fancy the gig.Anyone want to throw any other names into the hat ?.

Jack Holder and Brady Kurtz. They both still have a base with Middlo and are at Wimborne Road most Wednesdays so makes sense. Also he heavily hinted that Lawson would ride for Poole rather than Leicester as he is a Poole asset. Chris Holder also possible if he has a Premiership place.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 3:58 PM, HGould said:

Keeps popping out.

No he doesn't, he broke his shoulder during his first meeting for Oxford and rode on without it being diagnosed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Thanks for clarifying. He did have issues with popping at Brummies and after he left. 

Wasn't aware of Oxford issue

No worries, it's not been reported too much, thats why he stepped down from riding for Oxford and wasn't diagnosed until after the season finished.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, M.D said:

No worries, it's not been reported too much, thats why he stepped down from riding for Oxford and wasn't diagnosed until after the season finished.

He rode for Redcar later in the season so he was managing it at that point I assume with maybe the use of painkillers. With some rest hopefully will be fully fit for the new season. 

• Like 1