British Speedway Forum

POOLE 2023

18 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Can't see it happening.

We have 12.97 left for 3 riders. Batch would tie up 7.29 leaving us only 5.68 - Take 2 for Ablitt only leaves 3.68. Look at the last GSA sheets and looks who is left. Would give you 2 weak reserves.

My money will be on strength in depth with what will look like strongish reserves who will sweep up lots of points against a lot of the other reserves in my opinion and not put us on the back foot from heat 2.

Now we have only 2 proven H/L (if Lawson added to Worrall) it makes sense that we go for more points over the other teams reserves. Especially the 2 pointers.

I think a number of us have a good idea who the last 3 will be. If you assume for example no 2 pointer in our team then you can kind of work it out from the final GSA sheet by taking 2 x 4 point plus riders and 1 x 3 point plus  rider from those not yet announced. (Don't forget to discount the 2.5% for all 3 riders as think they will all be Brits).

Was gonna say Roynon would fit. But looks like Lewy beat me to it lol :D

9 minutes ago, lewy said:

Batch, roynon, ablitt final 3 riders i reckon. 

Or JT, DT and Ablitt.

2 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

If Newman won't be fit for start of season would young Connor be an option? I know ablitt beat him in play off final but it's kind of place he could flourish 

Yeah, sure he would be fine when riding it every week. 

36 minutes ago, lewy said:

I've heard roynon has a championship team spot,can't see where else he could be going. 

When you think about it  JT/KN/Roynon looks the best strength in depth that fits. 

Roynon would beat many of the weaker 2 pointers and Newman would beat plenty of the reserves on higher av.  If the other side has 2 weak reserves like say Oxford then both would probably be beaten in near enough every ride.

This really hits home if you look at most of the SGB Champ reserves already named on page 1 of the SGB Champ signings 2023 page on the Championship forum where not only the riders but their GSA's are shown next to their names. Newman av alone is higher than any of those named and Roynon also higher than many and arguably going to be worth a lot more against the lower ones as the season starts unwinding. Could be a case where fortunately bonus points DON'T count towards GSA's.

As for Thomas he is  an improver with a GSA lower than what he is capable of and Ippo have taken note of that as their rising Star for 2023. His injury of 2 broken wrists sure kept his GSA anchored lower than what he is capable of in 2022.

Of course it's a case of IF it's those 3

Edited by STEVEHOLS54
typo

With regards to Roynon, for those interested in his (and other riders stats please feel free to look at the excellent Speedway Statistic website and the link to Roynon is

http://speedway-stats.co.uk/Rider/373

Shows his whole history in Prem/Champ & NDL.

It kind of highlights what an injury free and fit Roynon is capable of and at 34 still capable. Bit of a standout against many of the 2 pointers in Champ.

Even his NDL av is way above the 2 pointer Champ guys so could be an astute signing with a stronger reserve like Newman.

Surely Newman can be fit by the end of March period. Even if not 100% should still be too good for most of the 2 pointers.

Just an opinion of course

9 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

When you think about it  JT/KN/Roynon looks the best strength in depth that fits. 

Roynon would beat many of the weaker 2 pointers and Newman would beat plenty of the reserves on higher av.  If the other side has 2 weak reserves like say Oxford then both would probably be beaten in near enough every ride.

This really hits home if you look at most of the SGB Champ reserves already named on page 1 of the SGB Champ signings 2023 page on the Championship forum where not only the riders but their GSA's are shown next to their names. Newman av alone is higher than any of those named and Roynon also higher than many and arguably going to be worth a lot more against the lower ones as the season starts unwinding. Could be a case where fortunately bonus points DON'T count towards GSA's.

As for Thomas he is  an improver with a GSA lower than what he is capable of and Ippo have taken note of that as their rising Star for 2023. His injury of 2 broken wrists sure kept his GSA anchored lower than what he is capable of in 2022.

Of course it's a case of IF it's those 3

Yes but apparently Newman told Redcar he wouldn't be fit for start of the season so I wouldn't hold out hope for him being in the line up. 

2 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

With regards to Roynon, for those interested in his (and other riders stats please feel free to look at the excellent Speedway Statistic website and the link to Roynon is

http://speedway-stats.co.uk/Rider/373

Shows his whole history in Prem/Champ & NDL.

It kind of highlights what an injury free and fit Roynon is capable of and at 34 still capable. Bit of a standout against many of the 2 pointers in Champ.

Even his NDL av is way above the 2 pointer Champ guys so could be an astute signing with a stronger reserve like Newman.

Surely Newman can be fit by the end of March period. Even if not 100% should still be too good for most of the 2 pointers.

Just an opinion of course

By the way JT/Newm/Roynon is a whisper I heard and not what I was initially thinking.

But then I w as blinded by having the 2 most exciting Aussie youngsters around. But the horrendous costs involved in at least one of them based in POL seems to have probably killed that idea.

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Yes but apparently Newman told Redcar he wouldn't be fit for start of the season so I wouldn't hold out hope for him being in the line up. 

You would think IF a broken shoulder that all of Dec/Jan/Feb and a good part of March would put him  well on the road to recovery unless it was really bad.

The 4.29 temporary guest cover (plus 5% for home meetings ??) still leaves a plenty of potential guest options as cover for maybe a few weeks ?? You only have to look on that SGB signings page to see who could cover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

You would think IF a broken shoulder that all of Dec/Jan/Feb and a good part of March would put him  well on the road to recovery unless it was really bad.

The 4.29 temporary guest cover (plus 5% for home meetings ??) still leaves a plenty of potential guest options as cover for maybe a few weeks ?? You only have to look on that SGB signings page to see who could cover.

Don't believe you can start a season with an injured rider. Would need to be a temp replacement 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Don't believe you can start a season with an injured rider. Would need to be a temp replacement 

If that were the case then it brings you back to a 2 pointer really assuming Complin is signed up.

Suppose Ablitt might be a temp option but a chronic waster of points and exposes us at reserve for a while.

Can't really see anyone else who would fall into that 4.29 roll looking at the final GSA sheet. Not unless a 4 point Aussie who is hardly going to fly over. Josh Macdonald (4.00 GSA) maybe who did have a base to stay in UK when he was over here last season and previously with Scunthorpe & Sheffield.  But what a long way to come maybe for a few meetings and then having to sit out in hope that someone comes along. 

I know until a couple of weeks ago he was saying he might have to find a new job in Aussie as nobody was calling him to come over in 2023. Would even probably be a half decent reserve to even replace Newman and capable of beating plenty of the opposition reserves. Just a thought and would fit points wise.