British Speedway Forum

POOLE 2023

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Yes but this is the Champ and he rode for BV in NL, so not really home advantage. Have seen Nathan beat Starke, James Sarjaent at Edinburgh twice, Ben Morley at Plymouth and Bailey at Poole twice. Sure there are others but those are the ones that I remember the most.

I take it you don't follow the NL much? BV Colts marmalise everyone at home.

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I take it you don't follow the NL much? BV Colts marmalise everyone at home.

No I don't. Nor do I base opinions on Championship riders on NL averages! Different league, mostly different tracks. Nathan has had a season in Champ so maybe base his performance on those meetings! 

15 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

No I don't. Nor do I base opinions on Championship riders on NL averages! Different league, mostly different tracks. Nathan has had a season in Champ so maybe base his performance on those meetings! 

But the only league they all rode in regularly so the only way to compare them properly ;) somebody made a good point earlier in the thread about Ablitt overtaking the likes of Coles, Stoneman and possibly Atkins over the course of the season as he is young and will improve whereas they've been around a while. Certainly hope he gets a spot in the Champs, and of course rides in Poland will do him the world of good.

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I think that while it is a bit unfair on Nathan I can fully understand the reasons IF Danny/Matt are going for a stronger reserve pairing.

When we had 3 H/L, that with the improvement of the Cooks enabled us to carry Nathan through the whole season with no pressure on him. Now that comfort has gone with the new 40 point limit and with only 2 established H/L I feel that more than ever we will need a decent reserve pairing which if it's Newman & Roydon you would hope at worse a 3-3. A number of times last season we dragged a bit at home in the first half  but with 3 H/L we flew in the second half of meetings. We may not have that luxury in 2023 with only 2 established H/L.

Having say the stronger reserves hopefully takes some pressure off the top end. We can't just expect Ben to step up as third H/L although we hope he does push on. Similar with Zach.

Looking at others teams reserves (those named to date), it should on paper reap benefits, although that's got to be shown on track.

Also with the new aggregate and BP system plus only 2 points for a win it will be important to try and keep close on away tracks to try and get that additional BP. A strong reserve pairing could prove important in that respect.

• Like 1

On the subject of Roynon many may not be too impressed.

However although 34 it worth remembering that before all his injuries he had back in 2012 an av of 8.24 or 8.79 incl BP over 35 meetings with Workington, so he is no mug. Plus was touted as a rider with a big future back in the day. Also his 3 seasons in NDL over 2017/18 & 22 reaped between 9 & 10 average per meeting each season incl BP so more than capable of beating most of the 2 pointers in Champ.

Yes injuries took their toll but from the reserve slot could well be capable of 5 to 6 incl BP and then could even swap in and out of reserve with the likes of Thomas (if he is signed) or Zach Cook. Similar  with Newman so we potentially have decent reserves all season providing no injuries.

The important thing is we stay in the play off places and then anything can happen.

Of course that's IF these are the chosen reserves ;)

33 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

I don't think so do you 

Rather have Batch tbh

30 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Talk of Noddy few weeks ago?

Average would be over 11 though :o Also in local newspaper article he said he would be happy to come back if we moved back up into the Prem. So unlikely in the Champ, unfortunately. 

There’s more chance Keleher signing for Plymouth than Poole.  In fact no chance for Poole after his antics in the Pirates colours.

Don’t think there will be any surprises for the lower end of the Poole team next season.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

13 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

There’s more chance Keleher signing for Plymouth than Poole.  In fact no chance for Poole after his antics in the Pirates colours.

Don’t think there will be any surprises for the lower end of the Poole team next season.

Yes well we know it isn't Steve, Lawson, Ben, Zach, Thomas, Newman and Roynon. As a couple of people have said that is wrong. Plus according to a Redcar fan Kyle said he wouldn't be fit for start of the season. So must be someone else.