British Speedway Forum

POOLE 2023

5 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Its going to need to be a more than decent looking team on paper if admission prices are similar to Oxford's!!

Maybe a case of promoters in the South  like at Oxford & Poole think people are a lot better off and will pay it.

When you consider what the likes of Arsenal & Spurs rip off their supporters for and still get 60,000 plus turn up each match it wouldn't surprise me.

Not that I am making a fair comparison but suppose they will charge what they feel they can get away with. Whether that be fair or not.

1 minute ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Based on a lot of earlier comments and Nathan's own initial comments, that would indicate that perhaps The Ford's team plans have not gone as planned on either the so called Dream Team or plans B or C ??

Thing is people on here think they now the full team?  But the only ones who really know are matt Danny and riders

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SSL84 said:

Thing is people on here think they now the full team?  But the only ones who really know are matt Danny and riders

Yes but playing the name the team game each dark/cold winter adds a bit of fun.

I just hope Matt/Danny have already sorted their team a while ago, but that will no doubt become more apparent when they start naming. I just hope they don't leave the missing 3 riders until last as it may be a long wait. Suppose if most of the others do complete naming earlier at least it will be process of elimination as in last couple of seasons.

5 locks imo (Stevie, Lawson, Ben, Zach & JT)

Riders on 5.00-5.99 GSA's - Nicol, D. Thompson, Ruml, Starke, Kemp & Rew

Riders on 4.00-4.99 GSA's - Bowtell, Newman & Zischke

No.7's - J. Smith, Bickley, Ablitt + More 2.00 pointers

Pirates of Poole said no to both Aussie's, Bowtell rumoured for either Brum or Plymouth, Nicol was supposed to be going to Redcar before somebody messed up their team plans and he's now been left out of job altogether apparently. Starke & Newman are yesterday's news to put it as politely as possible.

Looks like 3 options to me.

Kemp + Ablitt

Ruml + Ablitt

D. Thompson + J. Smith

12 minutes ago, TTT said:

Would have to be Jack Smith if the other 6 are locks considering Jack's average is the only one who gets close to the 3.10.

I'm not convinced that Dan Thompson will be in the side though as he doesn't strike me as a signing that Poole would make. 

You have to admire Smith persevering in the sport.

He is 24 on 17th  December - ridden 6 full seasons with a combo of NDL/Champ and even 2 seasons in Prem and still only getting barely 3 points av in Champ.

He must love it as I think a few would have maybe called time on it. Perhaps his dad keeps him motivated to keep trying.

I remember when both him and Jack Parkinson Blackburn looked the 2 riders who would be our next Brit stars back in 2016/17/18 but wan't to be.

3 minutes ago, TTT said:

Pirates of Poole said no to both Aussie's, Bowtell rumoured for either Brum or Plymouth, Nicol was supposed to be going to Redcar before somebody messed up their team plans and he's now been left out of job altogether apparently. Starke & Newman are yesterday's news to put it as politely as possible.

Kemp + Ablitt

Ruml + Ablitt

D. Thompson + J. Smith

Starke is usually good value at Poole 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TTT said:

Kemp + Ablitt

Ruml + Ablitt

D. Thompson + J. Smith

Like me you come to similar conclusion in that last reserve slot.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TTT said:

Kemp + Ablitt

Ruml + Ablitt

D. Thompson + J. Smith

Another crazy idea.

How about JT plus 2 other 4 point Aussies. I know I keep on about the Aussies.

But that's how Matt/Danny signed the Cooks. Both I believe on 4 and were looked at based on the various close season meetings and the 5 round Aussie Champs (over about 10 days in early Jan. Or maybe Macdonald who had 1.5 season's racing here  and another untried but maybe promising Aussie who will be looked at over te Winter.

Just a thought as we are trying to work out who. That would avoid using a 2 pointer or the likes of Smith/Bickley or another 2 pointer.

Just thinking aloud. Macdonald had a base in UK in 2019 - had it fixed for Covid year 2020 and also had it for 2022 bfore injury cut his season short and still on a 4 GSA.

2 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Another crazy idea.

How about JT plus 2 other 4 point Aussies. I know I keep on about the Aussies.

But that's how Matt/Danny signed the Cooks. Both I believe on 4 and were looked at based on the various close season meetings and the 5 round Aussie Champs (over about 10 days in early Jan. Or maybe Macdonald who had 1.5 season's racing here  and another untried but maybe promising Aussie who will be looked at over te Winter.

Just a thought as we are trying to work out who. That would avoid using a 2 pointer or the likes of Smith/Bickley or another 2 pointer.

Just thinking aloud. Macdonald had a base in UK in 2019 - had it fixed for Covid year 2020 and also had it for 2022 bfore injury cut his season short and still on a 4 GSA.

Could do. That's certainly how Poole operate.

I am normally savvy to the lineup early but admit I have had so much on my plate at the moment I am not savvy to the 1-7 for next season. I can take an educated guess and name 5 of the 7. 

I don’t think there will be any surprises or shocks. The top two will maintain. The next two brothers will improve. One will improve slightly and the remaining two will hold their own. Will be enough to walk into the playoffs.

Hearing rumours that Glasgow are out bidding everyone else in their desperation to win the league. If true, then I hope their fans turn out in big enough numbers to cover the expense. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I am normally savvy to the lineup early but admit I have had so much on my plate at the moment I am not savvy to the 1-7 for next season. I can take an educated guess and name 5 of the 7. 

I don’t think there will be any surprises or shocks. The top two will maintain. The next two brothers will improve. One will improve slightly and the remaining two will hold their own. Will be enough to walk into the playoffs.

Hearing rumours that Glasgow are out bidding everyone else in their desperation to win the league. If true, then I hope their fans turn out in big enough numbers to cover the expense. 

Glasgow don't need to outbid teams, they have far more to offer than just paying top dollar, great track,great stadium and facilities, good fans who know what they're taking about unlike some clubs,definitely the team riders want to sign for,plus guaranteed future no issues with stadium owners and rent etc. Try not to be bitter, embrace what they bring to the table it can only be good for the championship in attracting riders we may not see.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Who else is available with 3.10 left? Find someone better, be my guest! (That is not a pun btw:D)

It doesn't have to be , can't see the team being built that way, there is no point having a rider like Jack Smith, Ablitt would be a better option and have a better second string rider .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

It doesn't have to be , can't see the team being built that way, there is no point having a rider like Jack Smith, Ablitt would be a better option and have a better second string rider .

Instead of which second string though? Jack Thomas or Dan Thompson? I suppose Dan could be at Birmingham? Make sense staying with a Midlands team.