British Speedway Forum

Sheffield vs. Belle Vue Grand Final 2nd Leg 13/10/22

TTT

12 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

Your right, terrible bad luck for the Aces, losing 2 riders on Monday saw us finish with 6 to 8 point lead less than it would of benn.

Haha, as you know I was talking about refereeing decisions, Lambert scored as many as Jye would have on past form, I think Simon rode ok just  got out battled at times. As for Wright that wasn't bad luck that was madness on his part. True though you would have had probably a 18 point lead without Wright's moment if stupidity. 

18 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Haha, as you know I was talking about refereeing decisions, Lambert scored as many as Jye would have on past form, I think Simon rode ok just  got out battled at times. As for Wright that wasn't bad luck that was madness on his part. True though you would have had probably a 18 point lead without Wright's moment if stupidity. 

Yes I know, but luck is luck, always said you always need the luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trevor said:

Congratulations to Belle Vue.

It's been sad to see so many moaning about the ref, she was consistent. The incidents in heat one and two, were more or less in the same place, I would have prefered all four back in both, however she choose to exclude, fair enough. She got Heat 11 right too, tough but correct. It was ungracious to see some at Sheffield in their disappointment, lash out at the official.

The issue that should be considered for the future was, the one fron the first leg. Wright was injured and BV had to go with only one rider. Surely a team down to five riders should be able to bring in a replacement on a lower average? The five one Sheffield got in Heat 14 brought it closer than it would have been. If a team went down to five in the first few heats, it would ruin it as a match with only three riders in a race.

Speaking as neutral this was also my take.  Not surprised at the score, expected it would go right to heat 15 & would be in Sheffield's favour, expected them to score better at Belle Vue then be a lot stronger at home.  Still kind 'a good result' either way I guess: Sheffield's 1st ever top league win or Belle Vue's 1st since 1993....

2 hours ago, 4thbender said:

Mikebv has put his finger on it there! As a died-in-the-wool Tigers fan for 56 years, I'm actually glad to see Belle Vue win the title, for the simple reason that it highlights the sheer hypocrisy and corruption of the ruling authorities in allowing a rider who has shunned British racing for three years in pursuit of personal treasure to suddenly turn up for three matches in the colours of a team for which he has no past or present connection and have the audacity to collect a champion's medal on the rostrum. A "ringer" by any definition. Surely the authorities will now be shamed into ensuring no such aberration will ever occur in the future.

As for the real championship, whichever team wins the Sheffield v Ipswich tie two weeks' time can hold its heads high and rightly claim to be the season's champions - an accolade won over the course of twenty matches home and away and without recourse to underhand and devious chicanery, the stench of which will always hang around this alleged Belle Vue "victory".

Absolutely spot on in your assessment,the team that finishes top should be crowned champions and do away with all of this play off nonsense.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Moranboys said:

Absolutely spot on in your assessment,the team that finishes top should be crowned champions and do away with all of this play off nonsense.

The other side of the debate though is the crowd level that attended last night...

Must have been 3000+ there and getting that many there for a non play off match, regardless of "winning the league that night" would be highly unlikely I would say..

Again. The counter augment to that is how many stay away in the weeks leading up to the play offs knowing your team are through? 

The play offs do provide for some teams the opportunity to keep their season going when, if the system wasnt used, you could have your season "over" by the end of June due to being miles behind the top team in the league.. 

I think for the theatre and publicity alone they are definitely worth doing, however, as has been said often on here, some recognition (like Super League do in RL), should be forthcoming for the team that tops the table.. 

Ideally, of course, the league being completed BEFORE the play offs...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moranboys said:

Agree the team that finished top should be the league champions they have proved themselves over the season to be the best .

But I would do away with knockout cup as it is now and replace it with the playoffs you have to finish in the top 4 to qualify to be in it .

As it is now finishing 3rd and being crowned champions dos nt sit right with me 

the only stumbling block on this is that all the league matches have to be completed before the cup playoffs could take place meaning the idiot s in charge need to get there act together lol

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, r8gdp said:

Agree the team that finished top should be the league champions they have proved themselves over the season to be the best .

But I would do away with knockout cup as it is now and replace it with the playoffs you have to finish in the top 4 to qualify to be in it .

As it is now finishing 3rd and being crowned champions dos nt sit right with me 

the only stumbling block on this is that all the league matches have to be completed before the cup playoffs could take place meaning the idiot s in charge need to get there act together lol

Fans should club together and award a Premiership Top of the Table Trophy, we're the ones who want it .....

Play offs are the best addition to the speedway calendar…keeps the season alive for teams and fans whereby years ago the season could be over virtually before it began…play offs give something to aim for and guarantees a huge spectacle to end the season….the 2 matches this week were the best speedway you could see in front of packed stadiums and epic TV…a fantastic advert for the sport.

and play offs are generally accepted in all sports outside of football,..Rugby League champions are the winners at Old Trafford, Rugby Union winners are the winners at Twickenham, most sports go the play off route as it keeps the season alive and creates a top finish which is great for fans and great for TV

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bruiser said:

Play offs are the best addition to the speedway calendar…keeps the season alive for teams and fans whereby years ago the season could be over virtually before it began…play offs give something to aim for and guarantees a huge spectacle to end the season….the 2 matches this week were the best speedway you could see in front of packed stadiums and epic TV…a fantastic advert for the sport.

and play offs are generally accepted in all sports outside of football,..Rugby League champions are the winners at Old Trafford, Rugby Union winners are the winners at Twickenham, most sports go the play off route as it keeps the season alive and creates a top finish which is great for fans and great for TV

Sorry but they don’t work for me make the team that finishes top the champions and make the top 4 fight it out for the ko cup

6 minutes ago, r8gdp said:

Sorry but they don’t work for me make the team that finishes top the champions and make the top 4 fight it out for the ko cup

Not sure that the Cup has any value at all these days.